Iphone will not sync with DropBox

DBonzelet
DBonzelet
Community Member

Unable to sync iPhones with DropBox. I have read Oct / Dec blogs on syncing iPhones with DropBox, such as disabling Background Updates, but to no avail. I've tried deleting the apps and re-downloading, but at the point where the file in DropBox is selected, get a message _"The (username).agilekeychain file cannot be found in Dropbox. Syncing has been disabled. 1Password encountered a problem." _ I have 2 Macs syncing across DropBox, and have tested to ensure changes go both ways; initially one of the iPhones was syncing, then stopped.

To clarify, one of the Mac's is the Primary user; the other Mac syncs with an additional vault; I'm trying to sync the iPhones with the same additional vault. Both Macs are OS X 10.10.3, both iphones are iOS 8.3.

Thanks for the help.

1Password Version: 5.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3, iOS 8.3
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• JWeaver
    JWeaver
    Community Member

Hi,

Have you tried creating another vault as a test on whether there is a problem specific to the secondary vault you're trying to sync? If you're successful with the new test vault then you've narrowed the problem to that existing secondary vault file.

I just replicated the exact setup you've described and even after moving test vaults into various folders on my Dropbox 1Password was able to find them so troubleshooting that secondary vault is my suggestion for a first step.

• DBonzelet
    DBonzelet
    Community Member

I created a "test" vault in DropBox, shared it with my @icloud account, and from the iPhone went through the sync process. It found the vault, along with the others, and when I selected it gave a warning that it didn't appear to match the current vault. So I don't know if I'm missing a step with DropBox, or with the syncing process, but still no luck.

I started trying to use 1Password just a few days ago, and I'm confused why initially both my Macs and 1 of my 2 iPhones were working, then as I tried troubleshooting to get the other iPhone syncing, lost the Mac and the other iPhone. More troubleshooting using your site helped me to get the Mac to sync again, but other than for a short period the first day have had no luck with the iPhones.

Appreciate the help, looking forward to learning what is more than likely a missing or messed up procedure on my end.

• DBonzelet
    DBonzelet
    Community Member

Oh, and having just re-read my post, to clarify, after receiving the warning that the vaults did not appear to match I did "Sync anyway", as the vault was empty. It appeared to start a sync process, but at the end, I got the same message as on my first post, "The (username).agilekeychain file cannot be found in Dropbox. Syncing has been disabled. 1Password encountered a problem." _

So it appears to be doing the same thing as the other vault. The little "sync" symbol continues spinning after the message, but to no avail, and nothing is imported to or from the vaults.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DBonzelet ,

Before we get into the troubleshooting, I just want to be sure that I understand your end goals here:

1. You have two Macs syncing one 1Password vault via Dropbox.
    2. You tested that sync works between the Macs.
    3. One of the Macs has only the primary vault
    4. The other Mac has a secondary vault as well
    5. You wish to sync the secondary vault onto the iOS devices.

If I've got the scenario correct, I have a few follow-up questions:

I have 2 Macs syncing across DropBox, and have tested to ensure changes go both ways

Could you tell me how you tested that sync was working between the two Macs?

• Is the secondary vault the only vault you wish to have on iOS, or are you adding the secondary vault when another vault already exists? (The more clear you can be about the number of vaults involved here and where each vault is synced to, the simpler it will be for us to sort this out!)

Thanks for your help in tracking this down.

• DBonzelet
    DBonzelet
    Community Member

You have two Macs syncing one 1Password vault via Dropbox.
    Yes; I created the Primary vault on one Mac, along with 2 other vaults for the family: Family Vault 1, Family Vault 2. I synced Family Vault 1 between the Macs

You tested that sync works between the Macs.
    I created passwords in Mac 1 / Family Vault 1, and it shows up in Mac 2 / Family Vault 1. Created passwords in Mac 2 / Family Vault 1, shows up in Mac 1 / Family Vault 2

One of the Macs has only the primary vault
    Way confused on this one, maybe this is part of the issue: Mac 1 has Primary Vault, Family Vault 1, and Family Vault 2. I didn't think you could create additional vaults on other devices without creating them initially from the Primary Vault. If that isn't the case, please advise.

The other Mac has a secondary vault as well
    Mac 2 only has Family Vault 1. My intent is to sync Family Vault 1 with both Macs and both iPhones, and after that is successful, syncing Family Vault 2 with a separate iPhone

You wish to sync the secondary vault onto the iOS devices.
    See previous question / answer above.

• DBonzelet
    DBonzelet
    Community Member

I just re-read the user manual; section 1.7.4 covers syncing multiple vaults. I grabbing at straws, but is there a specific way of "sharing" through DropBox? Does the "share" have to be acknowledged perhaps? When I have shared, I've used the apple ID email for the applicable devices. Some other detail I'm missing? Would sure love to get this app syncing across devices!

Thanks,
    don

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Don ( @DBonzelet ),

Thanks for getting back to me with those details, that helps a lot! I think we're getting closer here.

So, our end goal is to have the following set-up:

Mac 1

• Primary vault
    • Family vault 1
    • Family vault 2

Mac 2

• Family vault 1

iPhones

• Family vault 1

other iPhone

• Family vault 2

Created passwords in Mac 2 / Family Vault 1, shows up in Mac 1 / Family Vault 2

Unless there's a typo here, items created in Family vault 1 shouldn't show up in Family vault 2.

Just to rule out any potential confusion - have you named the family vaults as you've said here? I wonder if the similar names might be helping to complicate matters.

Does the "share" have to be acknowledged perhaps? When I have shared, I've used the apple ID email for the applicable devices. Some other detail I'm missing?

The article you want to follow when sharing multiple vaults is this: Share a vault. It will walk you through the process of storing the .agilekeychain in Dropbox, and creating a shared folder between multiple Dropbox accounts if necessary.

Are there multiple Dropbox accounts in your case?

• DBonzelet
    DBonzelet
    Community Member

Thanks Megan, I have it up and running on all devices now. I'm not sure which step actually fixed it, but just to help anyone else with similar issues, here's what I did (with the help of a friend who is far better at this sort of thing):

1. Megan talked about possible naming issues, but I was also concerned that I messed something up in the initial creation of Family 1 vault. So I moved all the data from Family 1 into Primary, deleted Family 1, and created a brand new vault.
    2. Named the new vault without the use of numerals or special characters (can't possibly think of why this would have an effect, but that's what I did)
    3. Re-synced the new vault from the Mac to DropBox
    4. Deleted the old vault file from DropBox
    5. Deleted the old vault Family 1 from my phone
    6. Synced the new vault; everything is now syncing back and forth flawlessly.

So at the end of the day, I'm not totally clear on the exact fix, but I am very grateful for the ability to select all data from one vault and copy or move it to another. This allowed me to move all data in about 5 seconds.

Thanks again, good luck!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Don ( @DBonzelet ),

I'm so glad to hear that you got things all sorted out - thanks so much for sharing your steps here. I hope that 1Password works perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any further questions, we're always happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.