Don't want all my logins on iPhone

Options
Steve_Z
Steve_Z
Community Member

Hi,

I am a long time 1P 3 user who recently upgraded to Yosemite and 1P 5. I really like the 1P upgrade even though I have not used many of the features yet (such as multiple vaults). I also changed from Android to iPhone 6, but have never used 1P app on Android or on iOS yet.

I am very cautious with security. I do not want all my login info on my phone. I consider it a social, fun, communication device, e.g., I never bank with my phone. As such, I would like my phone to have logins for FB, LinkedIn, etc., but not for my financial sites. (I understand 1P is encrypted, but I cannot guarantee the physical security of my phone to the same degree as my laptop which mostly stays home).

I have a very strong master pw. I want to keep that pw for my most critical info (financial, etc.). I prefer not to put those items in a secondary vault so not to have two master pw's to remember. I understand that WiFi sync always syncs the primary vault. I would like to be able to sync a secondary vault (with a second master pw?) and keep my most sensitive info unsynced in the primary vault on my mac with my very strong master pw.

I hope that makes sense. I may be asking for something that is not possible.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Steve_Z,

Currently the only way this would be possible would be to create a 2nd vault on the Mac and move all of the items you don't want to sync to your iPhone to that vault. Then sync only the primary vault with the iPhone.

This setup would not necessitate remembering a 2nd Master Password. Each vault does have its own password, but unlocking the primary vault also unlocks any secondary vaults. You would want to store the vault password for the non-synced vault (either in the primary vault, or on paper in a safe etc), but you would not need to type it with any regularity.

We do hope to improve the handling of multiple vaults in the future, but that would currently be the only way I can think of to accomplish this.

Thanks!

Ben

• Steve_Z
    Steve_Z
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff
    Thanks, Ben.

You confirmed what I thought. It is reassuring that I would not have to use the 2nd pw very much or at all.

1P for iOS would store my master pw on my phone? In what manner and level of encryption (i.e., how hard to hack if someone stole my phone)? I think I can use touch ID to unlock 1P for iOS, correct? Once I enable that, is the master pw still stored on the phone?

Thanks, again.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Steve_Z,

You can read about the handling of your Master Password here:

https://support.1password.com/how-safe-is-touch-id/
    https://support.1password.com/master-password-ios-keychain/

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.