Can you get older versions of the 1Password extension for Chrome? [Yes for the moment]

Options
femich
femich
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I had to re-install Chrome and subsequently had to get the newest version of the 1Password extension 4.3.1.90. I hate the new version versus version 3.9.21.90 that I was using below. Is there any way to get the old extension?

Comments

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Unless you are still on 1Password 1.0, I don't think the 1Password Extension 3.9 is going to work. 1Password Extension 4.3 requires 1Password 4 for Windows. Which version of 1Password are you using?

• LauraR
    Options

@femich - what version of 1Password for Windows PC are you using and what is it that you don't like about this new version of the extension?

• femich
    femich
    Community Member
    Options

Currently using 4.3.1.90. For some reason the shortkey ctrl+ doesn't usually work. My real pain point is you can't see what you are typing when you are searching w/o clicking and opening the search window like the older version. There seems to be a lot more clicking and different windows versus the older versions which are a pain. You also can't make changes to the login without opening it in the 1password program versus doing it in the extension like before.

• LauraR
    Options

As soon as you invoke the 1Password extension, just start typing to filter the list to show Logins with matching title, URL, or tag. If you right click on an item from the 1Password extension you can select to open it in the 1Password app. There is no way to use an older version of the extension. I will pass on your feedback on this. Thanks!

• femich
    femich
    Community Member
    Options

I'm aware of these features. I would prefer if you could see what you are typing. That ability is gone and you can't adjust/delete what you are typing like you used to be able to without restarting the process.

• LauraR
    Options

@femich - I will pass on your concerns.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

I would prefer if you could see what you are typing.

@femich When the 1Password popup menu re-appears, the 1st item should read: "searching for xxx". Can you confirm this?

you can't adjust/delete what you are typing

@femich You should be able to add (or delete) characters from your search query, hereby causing the 1Password popup menu to re-appear, displaying only those items that match your (now modified) search query.

• femich
    femich
    Community Member
    Options

It does say searching for xxx but it does not show until you stop typing. Thanks for the input on adjusting/deleting characters from the search query.

• femich
    femich
    Community Member
    Options

It also seems like if you have an exact match you have to arrow down/up and select it rather than just hitting enter under the previous version.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It also seems like if you have an exact match you have to arrow down/up and select it rather than just hitting enter under the previous version.

@femich If you have an exact match (and one match only), then you do not have to arrow down. You can simply hit Enter, and then the extension should "Go & Fill" your Login item.

• femich
    femich
    Community Member
    Options

I guess I miss it when you had multiple matches and if you pressed enter it used the top one.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @femich,

It does say searching for xxx but it does not show until you stop typing. Thanks for the input on adjusting/deleting characters from the search query.

We have to generate a new menu to show you results and if we try to do this for each character you type, it will flicker and might be slow because we have to rerun the search each single time.

By waiting until you're done, we only need to run once and it'll generate a new menu for you.

That's why you do get a better experience in the search window by selecting Search... menu instead.

I guess I miss it when you had multiple matches and if you pressed enter it used the top one.

I think that's because you're used to the search window, which automatically select the first item by default. My understanding is that this is a limitation of the UI component we use for the menu, it doesn't let us predefine the first item as selected but it can for the list view we use in the search window.

• Rob Davidson
    Rob Davidson
    Community Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I completely despise the v4 browser extensions and MUCH prefer the older v3 ones as they are more intuitive, cleaner looking, and just nicer all around.

If you:
    1. install v3 with it's extensions
    2. then install v4 in tandem (both v3 and v4 installed
    3. then uninstall v3
    You will be able to use the older (and much better) extensions with 1password v4.

Once again, I absolutely, positively, and unequivocally HATE the new v4 browser extensions!!... >:(

• MikeT
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi @Rob Davidson,

Thanks for your feedback on the newer extensions. We do understand and we do plan to improve the extension UI in the future.

Note: you don't have to install the previous version of the 1Password program just to install the previous extension, there's a way to install the extension v3 separately even with 1Password 4 program installed. We do not recommend this method as older extensions will be phased out by the browsers in the near future.

• Rob Davidson
    Rob Davidson
    Community Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hey @MikeT,

I understand the need to improve but the v4 extensions really feel like a hard step backwards, and it would be REALLY nice if the new extension looked, felt, and worked more like the old one.. Would you please post a link to download the v3 extensions so that others can easily get them if they find this thread?

• MikeT
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi @Rob Davidson,

Would you please post a link to download the v3 extensions so that others can easily get them if they find this thread?

The link can be found link. Again, we do not recommend using older extensions that we will not be supporting.

I understand the need to improve but the v4 extensions really feel like a hard step backwards, and it would be REALLY nice if the new extension looked, felt, and worked more like the old one..

The previous extensions had its UI built in HTML/CSS/JS and was rendered by the browser because we had a local database stored in the extension that will allow you to use the data locally in the extension and sync it with the main 1Password program. We ran into a lot of limitations and issues with this setup. So, we found a much better method by moving the data and UI out of the extension and into 1Password Helper, our native background service running on your computer that will communicate to your extensions via websocket. Unfortunately, there isn't an easy and quick way to build a flexible UI we want the 1Password Helper to be but we will work on it.

• Rob Davidson
    Rob Davidson
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MikeT =) All in all 1Password is an excellent product and I foresee myself using it for a long time to come. =)

• MikeT
    edited June 2015
    Options

You're welcome! Thanks for your kind feedback.

This discussion has been closed.