Setting up multiple vaults for access on multiple platforms

Options
pmortimer
pmortimer
Community Member

Hi,
I have set up 4 vaults on my mac (I use mac, pc and IOS).
When I sync'd the first vault with dropbox, I saw this on the IOS (pro purchased) no problems (I used the free version at first to trial it and it was rather splendid. I then did a purchase upgrade. Got Pro for IOS and bought the pc and mac package.
When I installed 1Password on the mac, I set up the sync for drop box and got the entire contents of the primary vault - Excellent.

I then created vaults 2,3 & 4 and sync'd the 2nd vault (from the mac) with dropbox. The entire contents of the two vaults then merged - not great and certainly not expected!
If I delete one entry from vault A, it gets removed from both vaults. What the heck?

I have searched the forum and see others have reported similar issues, please provide clear steps as to how to set up the following;

Create separate vaults on mac v5.3.2 for sync with dropbox
(i) Do they need separate keychains, this is not at all mentioned in the UG for Mac or IOS

Open multiple vaults on IOS and PC

New user, iOS v5.4.1 & Mac v5.3.2

Please advice,

Thanks
Paul

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Paul ( @pmortimer ),

First of all, thanks so much for choosing 1Password to keep your digital data secure and organized!

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble setting up multiple vaults in 1Password. I'll do what I can to help you get straightened out here.

Create separate vaults on mac v5.3.2 for sync with dropbox

The best advice on how to set up multiple vaults is in our User Guide - could you tell me a bit about where things get tangled up for you?

(i) Do they need separate keychains, this is not at all mentioned in the UG for Mac or IOS

Once your vaults are created, you have to open 1Password's Sync Preferences and sync each vault individually to Dropbox. (This step is mentioned in the share a vault support article, but it's easy to miss.) This will create a separate keychain for each vault.

Open multiple vaults on IOS and PC

iOS

When those keychains sync to Dropbox, you'll need to add each vault into 1Password on iOS. There are instructions on how to do so here: iOS - Vaults It's a simple matter of tapping the 'Add Vault' option in the Settings, selecting the appropriate .agilekeychain and entering that vault's Master Password.

Windows

Windows handles multiple vaults a little bit differently than Mac and iOS. in 1Password for Windows, you'll go to File > Open Data File and select the vault that you wish to open. You'll need to enter the vault's Master Password to unlock - only one vault on Windows will be unlocked at a time.

I hope this clears things up, but if you have any further questions, we're happy to help!

• pmortimer
    pmortimer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan
    I had all of the keychains in one folder on dropbox, now, after separating them into unique folders, it seems to be working well between mac and iOS (I'll do the pc later)
    Thanks for your quick response
    Cheers
    Paul

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear things are working more smoothly now. :)

This discussion has been closed.