Can't see text I edit in 1Password 3 on OS X 10.11

I'm using 1Password 3.8.22 on OS X 10.11 (El Capitan Beta 2).

When creating or editing a password, all fields looks weird and when I focus on a field and start typing, nothing appears. The initial text is still displayed (weirdly) instead of seeing what I type. So I have to try to type blindly. Then when I focus out to the next field, what I typed appears (often mistyped of course, which gets really frustrating).

Also I noticed that when I try to resize the passwords list column, I get an error dialog titled "NSInvalidArgumentException". See screenshots.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s10aetqz3fryox3/Screenshot 2015-06-24 15.53.19.png?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/50ka6q3ehk7nvgd/Screenshot 2015-06-24 15.52.40.png?dl=1

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: OS X 10.11
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jmetillon ,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

At this time, our team has been focussed on ensuring that 1Password 5 (our latest version) runs smoothly in Apple's latest OS. I don't yet have El Capitan installed on my system, so I can't test 1Password 3's behaviour, but I'm not surprised that there are a few glitches. 1Password 3 was designed for an OS X 10.6, and a lot has changed in the operating system since then! :)

Is there a reason that you're using 1Password 3 instead of 1Password 5? There are a lot of features in 1Password 5 that take advantage of the new tools that Apple has provided to developers in recent years, I highly recommend it!

• jmetillon
    jmetillon
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

Many thanks for you quick reply Megan!

Yes there's a very down-to-earth reason I do not upgrade to 1P5: looks to me much too expensive (€50) in regard of the benefits from 1P3.

Note: I have 1P 5.4.3 on iPhone (iOS 9 Beta 2) with the Pro Features purchased and syncing through Dropbox.

Note 2: You noticed I like to beta test softwares and I'm glad to report bugs and suggestions. So I would happily participate in 1P 5.5 Beta for iOS and 1P 5.4 for OS X ;-)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jmetillon ,

I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel the upgrade is worth the cost! Of course, it's up to us to demonstrate enough value to make the software worth your hard-earned money. Have you given the 30 day free trial a test-run? Of course I'm biased, but I think there are a lot of great improvements in version 5 - not the least of these is the ability to add multiple vaults to simply and securely share data with others.

As a 1Password 3 owner, you definitely won't be paying full price for a license for 1Password 5. Just use our upgrade page page to get a serious discount on your purchase.

Unfortunately, we're not able to accept new testers into the iOS beta at this time, but if you'd like to help us polish up 1Password 5, you can update to the beta from within the 1Password app - in Preferences > Updates, just click the option to 'enable beta builds' and you're good to go! :)

• jmetillon
    jmetillon
    Community Member

Megan,

I didn't know about the upgrade program. I'm eligible for a $25 upgrade which is great! But I would not be able to switch from Dropbox to iCloud sync, which I would (because I can't upgrade with the Mac App Store). Also, even if $25 is more acceptable, I still don't see the benefits of it. At least for my use. I don't think I care about Shared Vaults, minification, Wi-Fi sync, Watchtower etc. What you got else to convince me? :)

• MikeT
    edited June 2015

Hi @jmetillon,

There are also major security benefits as we've modernized our encryption in 1Password 4/5, which will include the upcoming switch to opvault format in the near future. There's also the ability to customize fields and sections you can add to your items that's not available in 1Password 3.

It is possible we're just seeing OS bugs and Apple might fix these in future betas, which is why we don't focus on any beta OS support until it is much further in the development near the release date. However, if Apple won't fix these compatibility breakages, we won't be updating 1Password 3 to work on El Cap and 1Password 5 would be a required upgrade to include the compatibility support with El Cap.

• jmetillon
    jmetillon
    Community Member

Thank you @MikeT !

Well OPVault format would be available for iCloud only, right? But I can't get 1P 5 from the MAS at $25, because no rebate. So it's $54.30 (50€).

By the way, I updated El Cap to the last Beta (15A216g) and 1Password 3 is now working perfectly again!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jmetillon ,

I'm glad to hear that 1Password 3 is behaving for you - thanks for letting us know!

This discussion has been closed.