Can't remember Master PW.......

I can't remember the Master PW for 1 Password. My question(s) are this:

1. My data is backed up to the cloud and also on a separate hard drive. So what do I need to do to start over?
  2. If I do start over, can I import my password file into 1Password?
  3. How do I start over?

I paid for a new license today for my Win 7 machine

1Password Version: 4.5.0.575
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited June 2015

Hi @retiredone3704,

I'd suggest trying the tips in this guide to see if you can recall the password because without the password, you won't be able to recover any data.

If you can't recall the password, unfortunately, you'll have to start over from scratch with a new vault. This guide will explain how to start over.

• retiredone3704
    retiredone3704
    Community Member

MikwT

Thanks for the help. I have soooo many passwords in my file. I wish there was some way to open the file with another application like Excel. Then maybe some of the data could be copied. Then go to the sites, log in, have 1Password remember and then go from there.

Oh well..... guess I had better be more careful.

• MikeT
    edited June 2015

Hi @retiredone3704,

We wish it can be as easy for you as well. Since 1Password is designed with its first goal to protect your data, we do that with strong encryption, which means it cannot be easy to extract data outside of 1Password without knowing the original password that was used to encrypt it. This ensures that no other person can open the file with all of your passwords in Excel without your password to unlock it.

We recommend using the 1Password Emergency Kit to store a copy of your master password in a safe to prevent situations like this again, you can find it here: http://productivityist.com/1password-emergency-kit-3/

This discussion has been closed.