I have purchased a new laptop. How can I transfer my 1Password account to my new PC?

Options

I have purchased a new PC. How can I transfer my 1Password account from my old to my new PC.?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi @wgreenspan,

You'll need to copy your data from the old PC to the new PC but if you're using both PCs, we'd recommend using a sync service like Dropbox to transfer data between both computers and to keep both in sync. This guide will explain how to set up Dropbox if you want to go that way: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/setting-up-dropbox-sync

Here's how to transfer your 1Password data to the new PC without using any cloud sync:

To find your existing data file:

1. Open the main 1Password program, unlock and go to the File Menu > Preferences, go to the General tab and look at 1Password Vault path.
    2. Open Windows Explorer and go to your 1Password folder, copy the folder to the same location on your new PC. So if it was in Documents > 1Password, copy the 1Password folder into the new PC's Documents folder.

Installing 1Password on the new PC:

1. On the new PC, grab the latest copy of 1Password from our website here: http://agilebits.com/downloads, and install the program
    2. Open 1Password and it should open your existing vault from your Documents > 1Password folder. If not, tell 1Password you have existing data and point it to your Documents > 1Password > 1Password.agilekeychain folder.

For your license key, just re-enter the same license key you have. To grab the existing key:

1. Open the 1Password program on the old PC and unlock
    2. Go to the Help Menu > Enter License Key, copy the license key to put it on the new PC.
    3. Open 1Password on the new PC to enter the license key via the Help Menu > Enter License Key
    4. We recommend that you create a brand new software license item and store your 1Password license key in that item. So in the future, you just have to copy the data folder for a new PC and copy the license key from within your 1Password data.
This discussion has been closed.