Multiple problems on multiple devices. Scared to sync for fear of syncing with wrong device

Options
midgedeb
midgedeb
Community Member

Recently purchased 1password for Mac again from the app store so I could sync with our family's 2 ipads, 2 iphones and the Mac. Had appointment with genius at Apple today because of icloud space issues and multiple contact showing up. They had me set up separate administrators and changed the email address I use for icloud on the Mac. Got home and Removed all other versions of 1password from Mac. Downloaded 1password again from App Store and tried to open it but it says info doesnt match cloud so I'm afraid to sync it. Also when I open 1Password on my ipad the Favorites are there but not the main login list. I am paralized- afraid to do anything for fear of losing all my logins or syncing to an outdated vault! Please help! Deb

1Password Version: 5.3.1 mac; 5.4.2 ios devices
Extension Version: 4.3.1 mac ; pro on devices
OS Version: os X 10.10.3
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @midgedeb,

Well we certainly don't want you losing anything. So the first thing we need to do is better understand your vault situation.

It sounds like it's just one primary vault that you want to have synced everywhere. My question is, where do you have a good copy of your vault at the moment? do you have a particular Mac or device where it has everything and really you just want to use this copy everywhere or is it more complicated than that, where you have some items on one device, most somewhere else etc. and you really need to merge multiple vaults to get everything sorted.

Given you're worried what I'd like to do if we can is start with one good vault somewhere. We then purge the sync data from iCloud so you're not worrying about it causing problems and we have this good vault sync there. With the old sync data gone it's copying rather than merging. Then on your other devices, if the vaults don't seem right but the data in iCloud is good then we'll guide you through starting over. A clean copy of 1Password can't merge - all it can do is copy the sync data.

How does that sound as a plan? Obviously we haven't gone into the details yet and we will. We first need to find out if I'm on the right track (by learning a little more about your situation and the state of your vaults) and then we can proceed.

No matter what we will work with your to resolve this.

• midgedeb
    midgedeb
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, you are on the right track and I do have a good primary vault on my ipad. A problem might be that the Apple genius had me change the email I use for icloud because they didn't match for all my devices. I share my desktop mac with my wife and we each have an ipad and iphones. The desktop used to have 1password directly from Agilebits but I bought 1password from the app store so we could sync with icloud. Thanks for you timely response and help- we are leaving on a vacation next week and I need to resolve this asap.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @midgedeb,

So everything below will assume that all of your Apple devices are now correctly using a single Apple ID. I mention this not to cause any concern, just that all 1Password sees is that you're logged into an account for iCloud, we have to assume that this is all correct. As long as you're happy that after receiving help from Apple that this is correct then this should be what you need to do.

What I'm about to guide you through will remove the 1Password iCloud Sync data and allow you to push the iPad vault to iCloud. I will then point you towards guides for starting over again on both your iOS devices and Macs. By doing this they will look for existing sync data, find your iPad vault in iCloud and then copy this. At this point all of your devices will be using the iPad vault and they will all be syncing. If any part of that isn't what you want please do say and please don't follow the steps below.

1. On your iPad open iOS's Settings app navigate to iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage.
    2. On the Manage Storage screen you should see an entry for 1Password - tap that entry.
    3. On the Info screen you should see a line titled Documents & Data and a size for how much space we're taking up. There will also be an Edit button in the top right hand corner - tap that button.
    4. A Delete All button will appear under the line titled Documents & Data, tap the button and then tap Delete All to confirm you wish to delete the 1Password iCloud data that currently exists.

What we've just done there is ensure whatever is in iCloud can't harm your iPad vault when we now launch 1Password for iOS.

1. On your iPad launch 1Password for iOS.
    2. Enter 1Password's settings, it's the cog in the left hand corner on an iPad.
    3. Go to Advanced > Erase iCloud Data and then tap on the Reset iCloud Data button. This may seem a little pointless but it's a nice easy way to disable iCloud Sync. Tap the OK button once it has confirmed it has deleted it (shouldn't be too hard given you've already done it as a safety measure).
    4. Return to the main Settings page and follow the steps in our Sync with iCloud guide. This will create new iCloud Sync data based on this iPad's vault.

So we now have a good vault in iCloud. Now to ensure all your other Macs and iOS devices are only using this data.

That's a pretty belt and braces approach. I'm assuming your iPad vault contains everything and rather than muck about and risk anything, we're going to ensure iCloud only has good data and then wipe all the other copies of 1Password so they're forced to only use this good data.

Please take the time to read the guides and assure yourself that you're confident of what you're being asked to do. If you have any questions do please ask. We watch the forums seven days a week although the support is a little lighter on the weekends. I've just started my working week so I'll be in the forums over the weekend, doing my best to answer people as timely as possible. So if you need help or have questions to please post! :smile:

• midgedeb
    midgedeb
    Community Member
    Options

I'm afraid I don't have enough confidence in my understanding of the cloud to assume that all is well on my devices. 1. We changed to a different email than the one I used when I ordered 1password so how will you find my cloud? 2. Did the new email just change the way I access my cloud or am I starting with a new cloud? 3. Good News! Today my logins showed up again in my little file box on both my ipad and iphone. Yesterday my Favorites were there but login file was suddenly empty. 4. can I tell my ipad to backup 1password now so I'm sure to have the right vault saved?

• midgedeb
    midgedeb
    Community Member
    Options

cont. 5. My wife still has the old icloud address on her ipad. How will we be able to sync passwords?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @midgedeb,

Let's start with your safety net, a backup on your iPad. This link will help you first create one and if you want to feel more secure, show you how to copy it from your iPad to a Mac. The guide in question in Creating and restoring 1Password backups in iTunes (iOS). Just the bit titled Start on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: will be enough to ensure there is a backup on your iPad that you can restore any time you like.

Now to your iCloud questions.

You can only ever be signed into a single iCloud account at a time so iOS apps or OS X applications don't need to find your iCloud, they merely ask iOS or OS X about the active account and the operating system replies.

If I had to guess, I would assume that somebody at Apple wouldn't set you up with a completely new Apple ID without making really sure you understood this. Then again I don't know exactly what happened at your Apple Genius appointment.

Here would be my best approach at determining what has happened. Your Apple ID is used in more than just iCloud. It's used for all of your iTunes purchases, so music, videos, iOS apps etc. and it's also used in Apple's Mac App Store, which is titled App Store on your Mac. Now you say you purchased 1Password for Mac (Mac App Store) using the old email address. If Apple simply changed your primary email address on your Apple ID, then when you are logged in under the new email address in App Store you should be able to see your 1Password for Mac purchase in the Purchases tab. If it is a completely new Apple ID then you would expect your Purchases history to be empty.

If you are saying devices are beginning to sync it might be everything has been set up properly but it's just taking a while to settle down after whatever Apple have done.

You will in all likelihood want to log out of iCloud on your wife's iPad and then log back in using the new email address - just to make sure every device is definitely using the correct account details. I've only ever changed my primary email address with Apple once and I made a point of making sure all my devices were correct afterwards just because I didn't want any possible hassle later down the line. It meant logging out everywhere under the old address and then logging back into the same account but using the new email address.

Does any of that help at all? If I've explained anything at the wrong level please do say.

• midgedeb
    midgedeb
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, backed up and save to a folder. Then went to itunes and I have no purchases at all when signed in under the icloud email address. My Apple ID is still the same; my icloud email is what was changed. When I sign in under my Apple ID I can see the purchase of 1password on June 20.
    The genius set up the Mac with 2 administrators, instead of just one. She was trying to help me manage my icloud storage and keep pictures and contacts from appearing multiple times on our devices .I'm afraid I'm still not clear on the different uses of the Apple ID Vs the icloud id.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @midgedeb,

Under normal usage there is no distinction between an Apple ID and iCloud ID as they're the one and the same. The idea is you have a single account with Apple and you authenticate yourself in the App Store and iTunes to purchase stuff and you authenticate using the same account in iCloud so you can synchronise data between your devices. One account for everything Apple related.

Now based on what you've said it sounds like Apple have created a second Apple ID for you but I'm still unclear as to why. All I can do is assume there was good reason and as long as you are logged into iCloud with this new Apple ID everywhere then 1Password will be able to use iCloud Sync. It will mean you need to log out of your original Apple ID on your wife's iPad and then log back in using the new Apple ID that you seem to have acquired if you need 1Password to also sync there. It also sounds like you will have to ensure you log in using the old Apple ID in the App Store and iTunes so you can retain access to all of your purchases. Again, I don't know why Apple would recommend this as it seems unusual to me.

Everything I covered before about pushing a good copy of your iPad vault to iCloud and then pulling that down to fresh copies of 1Password - that's all still perfectly valid regardless of whatever Apple have done. It might not be needed, it depends on if your devices seem to be syncing or not but the steps would be the same if the need is to reboot syncing and make sure 1Password uses a known good vault.

I'm sorry I can't be more certain on what Apple have done and why, it might be worth your while to enquire with them for your own peace of mind.

This discussion has been closed.