Pottermore - log in fails

Hi,
The Safari (8.0.6, OS X 10.10.3) browser extension (4.3.1) cannot sign in to https://www.pottermore.com/en-us/ at all.
I always have to enter manually my user name and password and that annoys me very much...
Could you improve its compatibility? Any help?
Thanks

1Password Version: 5.3 Mac AppStore
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mirsnd,

Well, I admit, it's been a while since I've used my Pottermore account ... I keep getting too excited when reading the books to stop and go through the chapters online ... but I digress. ;)

It turns out that you're right. There's definitely something wonky going on with this site. I'd love it if you could provide me with a few more details about what happens when 1Password fails to fill here. (I'm just hoping that you're seeing the same strangeness as I am!) Please let me know the exact steps that you take when you try to log in here. Include details like what you expect to happen, and what actually happens.

I've already filed a report with our filling gurus to see if we can do a little bit better here, but any other information you can provide will be quite useful.

ref: OPX-1017

• mirsnd
    mirsnd
    Community Member

Hi Megan,

Thanks for the quick response.

I'll try describing as much as I can:

First try. I'm in my homepage.
    1) I click the extension icon.
    2) I type "Pottermore" and it shows me the session name.
    3) I press the right arrow key and it shows me the following details:
    My user name
    My password
    The URL: https://www.pottermore.com/en-us/
    4) I press the left arrow key to close the detail dialog.
    5) I press return/enter.
    6) The page loads and I'm redirected to https://www.pottermore.com/de (in German) instead of https://www.pottermore.com/en-us/ (American English). I'm not logged in.

Then I navigate back to the English version of the site (https://www.pottermore.com/en-us/):
    1) I click the extension icon.
    2) "Pottermore" login is already the first option.
    3) I click on it.
    4) The page loads and is redirected back to the German version. I'm not logged in.

Once again, I go back to the English version:
    1) I click on "sign in" on the site, that opens a dialog with "user name" and "password".
    2) There is no flashing "|" sign on any box of the dialog.
    3) I click on the extension icon.
    4) I click on "Pottermore" login.
    5) I see that only the field "password" is filled in, leaving the "user name" blank.
    6) The page loads and is redirected back to the German version. I'm not logged in.

The last try: I go back to the English version:
    1) I click on sign in on the site, that opens a dialog with "user name" and "password".
    2) I click on "user name" and "|" starts flashing.
    3) I click on the extension icon.
    4) I click on "Pottermore" login.
    5) I see that the field "username" is left blank, while the flashing "|" signal jumps to "password", but nothing is filled in.
    6) The page loads and is redirected back to the German version. I'm not logged in.

And finally I fill everything manually and log in successfully...

In every case, I expected the extension to fill in the "user name" and "password" and log me in automatically. As I described, the extension never fills both boxes and for some reason I'm always redirected to the German site.

That's it, I hope the filling gurus can make it work.

Thanks again!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mirsnd,

That's a lot of detailed information - so a really big thank you for everything you tried and

I've conferred with Megan and others and I'm being informed that creating what I call a basic Login item should work.

A basic Login item is one created from within the main 1Password window. Normally you want to create your Login items from within your browser. When you do this the extension records all the fields so we can better understand the page and fill it later. It seems on this occasion though it backfires and a plain Login item with no knowledge of the page will work.

Please do let us know if that helps and if not we'll continue working with you to find a solution :smile:

• mirsnd
    mirsnd
    Community Member

Hi,

I tried the "basic login" as you suggested.

1) I go to the site, click on "sign in" to open the "username" and "password" boxes.
    2) I click on the extension icon.
    3) I click on "Pottermore" login.
    4) It fills in some data, but an error appears on the site.
    5) I click on the extension icon again.
    6) I click on "Pottermore" login and it works.

Still troublesome, but is easier than typing manually.

Thanks for the help. :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mirsnd,

It sounds like we've made a little progress but that there's still work to do. I shall investigate!

This discussion has been closed.