Integration with alternative web browsers

2»

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for letting us know, jjk454ss! :-)
  • mmbrook
    mmbrook
    Community Member
    Add my name to the interest in integration with browsers.

As an interim solution, I have discovered a method that works. Its a tiny bit cumbersome, but at least for now it allows iCab Mobile to access your logins.

1. Update your 1Password Logins Bookmarklet
    2. Go to Safari and copy the bookmarklet into something like Evernote.
    3. Go to the iPad/iPhone, select all and copy the text.
    4. Go to iCab Mobile and create a new bookmark, pasting the javascript into the address field.
    5. Save

I haven't tried it with every single login that I have, but so far it has worked. Unfortunately, every time you modify your logins you have to do it again.
    I haven't been able to get the copy and paste to work from the Mobile Safari Bookmarklet reliably.

Hope this helps.
  • iPhone2007
    iPhone2007
    Community Member
    edited September 2011
    Any news on alternative browsers? I read about the $19.99 1Password sale & thought maybe it's finally time to start using it. But- I use iCab on iOS, and using iCab is more important to me than using 1Password. That's just the way it is- I use many of iCab's extra features. When iOS5 introduces browser tabs; I'll still use iCab.

So- is there a non-painful way to use 1Password with iCab? I don't mean an iCab plug-in- unfortunately that sounds like too much to hope for. I mean a usable, bookmark-based way- hopefully one that doesn't cut me off from the active 1Password database. At least something better than constant cut & paste between apps...

Personally, I would vote against Agile investing too much into enhancing their own browser. Agile is not focused on browser development, and it seems to me it would be a big effort to push the browser forward. People who use alternate browsers will never be satisfied. What I'm looking for is a reasonable (not necessarily wonderful) way to get 1Password to work with a non-Safari, independent [iOS] browser.

This will determine whether or not I buy 1Password...

Thanks!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2011
    Welcome to the forums, kimhill. At this time I have nothing new to announce on this front. I'm sorry if that is not the answer you are looking for, but there are benefits to using 1Password for Mac even if you don't want to sync all your data with the 1Password iOS app. Please feel free to download the free trial from our website and kick the tires.

It would be great if there were extension frameworks in place in iOS that we could use to integrate with browsers in a secure way as on the Mac, but such frameworks are not available in iOS at this time.

We're always keeping an eye on the development landscape, and we have also been known to have a few tricks up our sleeves in the past. That said, I encourage you to base your decision on what works for you with what is available and shipping today, not promises of what might be available in the future.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Cheers,
  • iPhone2007
    iPhone2007
    Community Member
    edited September 2011
    khad wrote:

...but there are benefits to using 1Password for Mac even if you don't want to sync all your data with the 1Password iOS app.

I constantly switch between Mac & iOS, so secure web passwords are useless to me without some kind of basic iOS/OSX workflow.

khad wrote:

...It would be great if there were extension frameworks in place in iOS that we could use to integrate with browsers in a secure way as on the Mac, but such frameworks are not available in iOS at this time.

But I don't expect browser extensions from Agile (sad to say). As I said earlier, "What I'm looking for is a reasonable (not necessarily wonderful) way to get 1Password to work with a non-Safari, independent [iOS] browser." E.g. bookmarklets. Is there a way to do this without completely manual copy/paste?

Also, I'd add that I'm sure that your integrated browser will become much more wonderful ;). I'm also sure that I will never really use it, and I will always need interoperability with 3rd party iOS browsers. Your demographic is weighted towards savvy users, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in my needs.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2011
    I constantly switch between Mac & iOS, so secure web passwords are useless to me without some kind of basic iOS/OSX workflow.

Agreed. Hence cloud syncing via Dropbox. You can sync a virtually unlimited number of Macs, PCs, iOS, and Android devices.

As Jeff mentioned earlier in the thread, because apps on iOS can't freely talk to one another or share data, we would need to build a completely separate instance of 1Password to work with iCab or any other browser. It would need to have its own, separate, copy of your 1Password data.

This means that the iCab mini plug-in would need its own separate copy of your data (which would have to be synchronized), as would an Opera mini plug-in or any other 1Password plug-in.

Clearly we would love to piggy-back on the work of browser developers and just plug into what they have already developed. Unfortunately that is much harder to do than it might first appear.

Our focus is on our own app at the moment (and its built-in browser), but the road ahead is long and not completely known. Apple may make some changes. Third-party browser apps may make some changes. We may be able to deliver something in this regard eventually, but for now we are focusing on 1Password's core functionality.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the constraints on iOS apps sharing data is a good security and stability move on Apple's part even if they do prevent us from doing things we would really like to do.
This discussion has been closed.