Location of my current agilekeychain file?

Options
shawjd1
shawjd1
Community Member

I initially posted this subject on Dropbox Forum and Tom Hightower kindly answered, then suggested I pose the conundrum on 1 Password Forum.
My situation (as set forth on Dropbox Forum): "How do I find the path to the “agilekeychain" file currently in use on my MacBook Pro.
Due to some early rookie decisions I don’t know if my agilekeychain file is in my Dropbox, iCloud or in a file on my computer.
How do you know where the file is that is sync’ed to?”

I do have a "1 Password.agilekeychain” and associated files in my Dropbox, on my MacBook but it’s date Modified is early April 2015 and on the Dropbox Website also date Modified in April. I use 1 Password all of the time so where ever the real "1 Password.agilekeychain” is will show a current date Modified.

I should have mentioned that I am using 1 Password Beta (1Password 5 Version 5.4.BETA-11 (540011) Agile Beta)

The urgency to solve this problem is brought about so I can provide my wife access to the 250 or so passwords I have in 1 Password.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may provide, James S.

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shawjd1,

Thanks for contacting us, and thanks for posting which version of 1Password you're using.

From the menu bar, select 1Password 5 > Preferences... > Sync, and it will show you the filepath of the keychain that's currently syncing and how long it's been since the last sync.

You didn't ask about it so maybe you already found it, but here's some information from our knowledgebase on sharing a vault. Hope this helps! Happy syncing. :)

• shawjd1
    shawjd1
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your information and you may have hit on a major hint to my problems:

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

@shawjd1,

A-ha! I thought that might be the case. But you should be able to set it back to Dropbox pretty easily and get it syncing again. I'm glad I could point you in the right direction! :)

• shawjd1
    shawjd1
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Vee - Can I continue to use the Beta versions of 1PW or should I get a released version 5 from the App Store?
    I also will be syncing an iPhone 6 and 3rd gen iPad to the same Primary Vault.

Also should I keep my Dropbox 1PW folder on my MacBook or a folder on Dropbox Web?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shawjd1 (AKA James),

Use of the betas is a personal choice. Obviously it allows you access to the latest features and improvements but you could say there is a higher chance of bugs too. Personally I'd say go with the 'safe' route of using the latest stable release unless you like trying out the bleeding edge.

Either way though it won't impact on anything else that you need to do.

Now it seems there may be a slight misconception on how Dropbox works that I'd like to quickly clarify. When you install the Dropbox service on your Mac it claims a small portion of your hard drive space for its own. Anything you store in that folder the Dropbox server will sync back to their server. Anything in your Dropbox account will be downloaded by any machine or device connected to your Dropbox account. That's how the idea of seamlessly sharing your files is meant to work. So when you set up Dropbox Sync in 1Password, we're really doing nothing more than writing the .agilekeychain to the Dropbox folder on your Mac and letting the Dropbox service do the heavy lifting for us (in regards syncing). Now it changes a little if you're using a mobile device as they have limited storage space but it's still not that different.

So to best help you at the moment it would be prudent to know what state your various vaults are in. We know you have your vault on your MacBook Pro but where do we stand with your iOS devices? do they have vaults with potentially different items in them or are you simply wanting to push the vault that is on your MacBook Pro to these iOS devices for a fresh start? Once we have an idea we can choose the correct path and itemise the steps :smile:

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Vee - Can I continue to use the Beta versions of 1PW or should I get a released version 5 from the App Store?

As littlebobbytables mentioned, use of the betas is a personal choice, but they can all sync with Dropbox (as long as it's configured in the sync settings!). I want to point out, though, that your license is for the software from our website, and it's unfortunately not transferrable to the Mac App Store, so you'd need to pay full price again if you wanted the App Store version. If you want to revert to our latest stable release of 1Password 5 for Mac, you can download that here.

• shawjd1
    shawjd1
    Community Member
    Options

First of all I would like to thank Vee & littlebobbytables for your time in helping me with my issues.

The iPhone 6 has 262 login’s, the Mac 274. The iPhone appears to have 1 vault and following the path through Settings it looks like the “Sync with Dropbox” is the one being used. Both Sync with iCloud and Sync with Wi-Fi want me to open new vaults. The Sync with Dropbox shows my name, using 10.01 GB of 1.01 TB.

What I want to do: Figure out which Vault my Mac is using.

Buy 1 Password from the App Store for $50, make sure I have the latest version on the iPhone iOS (Settings page says 5.4.1).

Have (1) one Vault for the Mac, iPhone and wife’s MacBook (new) to use.

Clean up the mess I currently have without losing the 274 logins on my Mac, the 262 login’s on iPhone are just a subset of the 274.

I am all-in with 1 Password - you folks have done a fantastic job and I have full faith in your ability to secure my data.

Dr. James S.

• shawjd1
    shawjd1
    Community Member
    Options

An even more succinct statement of my next steps is in the last paragraph of littlebobbytables:

littlebobbytables - We know you have your vault on your MacBook Pro but where do we stand with your iOS devices? do they have vaults with potentially different items in them or are you simply wanting to push the vault that is on your MacBook Pro to these iOS devices for a fresh start? Once we have an idea we can choose the correct path and itemise the steps.

Yes, I want to simply push the vault that is on my MacBook Pro to my iPhone 6 and my wife’s MacBook. But, looking at the 1 Password Preferences Pane above would indicate I am syncing to NONE currently?

Please provide the steps necessary to get back running. Thanks again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shawjd1, on behalf of Vee and littlebobbytables, you're very welcome! :)

Getting Dropbox sync to work again should be pretty straightforward. But first, to address a couple things you mentioned:

What I want to do: Figure out which Vault my Mac is using.

From the screenshot you posted yesterday, it looks like you only have one vault (i.e. "Primary"). There's a local copy of that vault stored on your Mac, and there's also a local copy of your vault stored on your iPhone. Dropbox has another copy of your vault, which is used to sync the changes back and forth. The problem seems to be that 1Password for Mac is not currently syncing with Dropbox (but we'll get to that shortly).

Buy 1 Password from the App Store for $50

I searched our system for the email address associated with your forum account, and I see that you already have a license for 1Password 5 for Mac that you bought from the AgileBits Store. Therefore, you don't need to purchase the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac unless you want to use iCloud sync. But if you're using Dropbox sync, you don't need to purchase the Mac App Store version.

Now, let's get back to fixing the sync problem: It sounds like 1Password for iOS is still set up to sync with Dropbox. But according to your screenshot, 1Password for Mac is not. You can re-enable Dropbox sync on your Mac by following these steps:

• Open 1Password on your Mac and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Select Sync, then choose Dropbox from the “Sync Primary vault with” pop-up menu.
    • Click the Choose button and select your 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox (then click Open).
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing.

You should be asked to enter your master password for the vault in Dropbox, which should be the same as the master password you normally use on your Mac. When it syncs, it will merge the data, which just means it will update Dropbox with any newer data from 1Password on your Mac (and vice versa). Then, the next time 1Password for iOS syncs, everything should match. If you run into any problems with that, just let us know.

You said you also want your wife to be able to access that vault from her MacBook. If she hasn't already done so, she'll need to install Dropbox and 1Password on her Mac. The next step will depend on whether you both share the same Dropbox account, or if you each use a separate Dropbox account. If you share the same one, she simply needs to sign into that account when setting up the Dropbox app. Once Dropbox has copied all the files from that account to her Mac, she'll be able to sync with the vault in Dropbox when setting up 1Password.

On the other hand, if she has her own Dropbox account that is separate from yours, there are a few extra steps involved. You'll need to share your 1Password vault with her via Dropbox sharing, and you can do that by following the steps here. That article says to do this for a secondary vault, but the steps should be mostly the same to share your Primary vault, assuming that's what you want to do.

Does that help get Dropbox sync setup the way you want? Please let us know how it all goes, and if you have more questions or need additional help with that. Thanks!

• shawjd1
    shawjd1
    Community Member
    Options

Ok Drew,(German or Antigua and Barbuda?) fantastic...you fixed 1 Password/Dropbox on my Mac AND saved me $50.

Really no necessity to use iCloud with almost a TB of space on Dropbox. Not sure what I was thinking?

iPhone: Next I tried to get this running on the same Primary Vault/agilekeychain. Settings, Vaults, pushed Primary, pushed Start Syncing, pushed Sync with Dropbox, got a box with my name and “Using 10.01GB of 1.01TB”, pushed the box, displayed “choose a Vault...”, pushed the displayed /1Password.agilekeychain, waited and waited “Please wait. Downloading encryption keys...” OK - It’s been close to 20 minutes, should I Cancel? I’ll wait for a while if you become available.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @shawjd1,

I believe the AG after Drew's name is for AgileBits. :)

Sorry to hear the sync is stuck on "Downloading encryption keys." Let's try resetting Dropbox sync on the iPhone.

• Open 1Password, and tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service > Disable Sync.
    • Restart the iPhone.
    • Go back into 1Password and re-enable Dropbox sync: Settings > Sync > Start Syncing > Sync with Dropbox.

Does that get it working?

• shawjd1
    shawjd1
    Community Member
    Options

Well of course that’s what the AG is. Once again, what was I thinking?

Ah, got the Settings, got the Sync, No Sync Service>No Disable Sync.
    What I do have is Sync, Start Syncing (top box) then Items...479. That’s it.

Eagerly waiting.

• shawjd1
    shawjd1
    Community Member
    Options

One more thing : I got a Vault Mismatch - Do not Merge.
    Your Vault 479, 97.5%
    Dropbox Vault, 493
    Both last updated April 29, 2015

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shawjd1 ,

Sounds like we're getting close to having this solved for you - that's awesome!

That 'Do not Merge' message can be a little bit more dire than it needs to be sometimes. I'm glad you checked on the 'More info' option to determine just how similar those vaults are. Since we are merging two vaults that have not been in sync for a while, it's likely that there is an entry or two that isn't identical. As Drew mentions above, 1Password is pretty good at merging things, and will select the newer of each change to display. In rare cases where it cannot determine which entry is newer, it will simply create a 'Conflict' section with the data it cannot reconcile.

If you are concerned about this, you're welcome to create backups on each device before hitting that 'Merge anyway' button. In 1Password 5 for Mac, you can create a backup using the File > Backup menu. In 1Password 5 for iOS, choose Settings > Advanced > Create Backup. I don't think this will be necessary, but the option is there if you'd like to cover your bases.

• shawjd1
    shawjd1
    Community Member
    Options

Alright, looks we are there!
    After a couple: Try again later, these two vaults are too screwed up, you have got to be kidding!!
    It appears to have merged perfectly and no dupes. I did see a slew of Notifications for “updating X number of files”. So I will assume any logins that were conflicted were updated to the most recent modification. Most likely changing Password.

Next project is to get 1 Password running on my wife’s MacBook Pro.

And once again I want to thank every one involved in my little dilemma. I am sure you have much more important things to be working on. I definitely made the right choice both for the password manager and the 1 Password Support Staff.

Thanks all, though you may be hearing from me again.

James

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It appears to have merged perfectly and no dupes.

Huzzah! Thanks for sharing the great news.

Next project is to get 1 Password running on my wife’s MacBook Pro.

Sweet! You can share your license with her, and feel free to share the 1Password 5 for Mac user guide with her as well.
    In fact, we've recently made it easier to apply the license file to 1Password 5, so I have resent your licenses to you via email. In that email, under 1Password 5 for Mac, you should see a link that says "Click here to apply your 1Password license." When you click that link (with 1Password running and unlocked), it will open a page in your default browser which automatically downloads and applies your license to 1Password. Like magic!

And once again I want to thank every one involved in my little dilemma. I am sure you have much more important things to be working on.

Nah, nothing's more important to us than helping our awesome users get the most out of 1Password!

I definitely made the right choice both for the password manager and the 1 Password Support Staff.

Aww shucks! You're too kind. I'll share your satisfaction with the team.

Thanks all, though you may be hearing from me again.

Looking forward to it. Meanwhile, have a good one, James! :)

• shawjd1
    shawjd1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again folks - It’s me, Dr. James Shaw. Title for this post: IT CAN’T BE THIS HARD! (to share a vault with my wife)

I am referencing a post from 1PW guru Drew...

On the other hand, if she has her own Dropbox account that is separate from yours, there are a few extra steps involved. You'll need to share your 1Password vault with her via Dropbox sharing, and you can do that by following the steps here. That article says to do this for a secondary vault, but the steps should be mostly the same to share your Primary vault, assuming that's what you want to do.

The “steps here” takes me to "Can I share an entire vault with my family”

Then item 4 in “share a vault with someone else” says "follow the steps" in “sync with Dropbox” - I cannot do these series of steps because Dropbox is already set as my primary vault and CHOOSE does not appear because Dropbox is already set, above.

If I could do “sync with Dropbox” the next paragraph states exactly what I want to do:

"Now you should have an .agilekeychain in your shared folder with the same name as the vault you shared. In this example, the “Family” vault was shared, so it is called Family.agilekeychain. Once Dropbox has finished syncing, you will see a green checkmark on the file. That means you can now begin to access the vault from another computer or device. YES-YES-YES - how do I get here if I can’t “sync with Dropbox”"?

Once again I call on you all powerful to lead the way...

thx-DrJDS

• shawjd1
    shawjd1
    Community Member
    Options

The post by Drew I reference is 8 posts above this. I wasn’t sure if I should have started a new post or just add to this as it is part of the original post. I really need to get this working for my wife - thanks again.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shawjd1,

Am I correct with the following assessment?

You now have Dropbox Sync set up correctly between your devices. You can check in the Sync tab of 1Password's preferences for the precise location, but by default 1Password for Mac would use ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain. You now want to share that .agilekeychain with your wife's Mac and it sounds like you're saying you each have your own Dropbox accounts.

If this is the case then you're almost there :smile:

In the guide we assumed no syncing was already in place so we supplied all the steps to create a shared folder and then showed how to ensure 1Password used that folder for syncing. Of course, if you want to share your primary (and only) vault with your wife, you can share the 1Password folder that your 1Password.agilekeychain is currently stored inside. The sharing will work the same regardless of whether the 1Password.agilekeychain existed beforehand or was created after the folder was shared.

It might be I'm misunderstood something of course so please do correct me. I think all you need to do though is share that 1Password folder and then you will be able to complete the process now that the .agilekeychain is available in your wife's Dropbox folder. Keep us updated :smile:

• shawjd1
    shawjd1
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you littlebobbytables for your reply.

My Macbook Pro is and has been setup to sync in Dropbox for years.
    My wife also has a Macbook Pro and has Dropbox installed and 1PW installed. 1PW contains one item: her login to Dropbox.

I did create a shared folder per the Guide but could not sync my agilekeychain to go into the shared folder, again like is stated in the Guide. And this is the step that really had me pulling my hair out - and that’s a good feat since I shave my head!

I of course have a 1Password.agilekeychain folder in my Dropbox account so your saying I can share that folder? The only problem I see with that is the Dropbox rules about who has the least storage, limits the access to my dropbox folder.

So littlebobbytables or whomever is lucky enough to pick this up - what do I do next?

• shawjd1
    shawjd1
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, I forgot, here’s my Prefs:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shawjd1,

Thank you for that screenshot, it really helped clear up my understanding.

So here's the bad news. We will have to guide you through disabling Dropbox Sync because unfortunately 1Password is syncing to the root Dropbox folder. Now this is something 1Password 3 used to do but by default 1Password 4 & 5 don't so I'm surprised. What usually happens is if you select the root Dropbox folder 1Password would automatically suggest .../Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain. If you believe that is what should happen then you can see why we'd be surprised.

So I apologise that we're going to have to take you through the steps to disable sync and then set it up again. This should be the last you need to do it though as after it's all set up (and definitely working) you shouldn't need to touch it again.

1. Launch 1Password on your Mac and enter 1Password's preferences.
    2. Switch to the Sync tab.
    3. Change the menu option from Dropbox back to None.
    4. In the confirmation window that pops up tick the checkbox titled Delete data from Dropbox and then click on the Disable Sync button.
    5. Pause for a moment to let Dropbox sync these deletions back to the server.
    6. You should now be able to follow the guide that Drew linked you to, the Can I share an entire vault with my family or co-workers? as your vault isn't currently syncing any more and you can now point it to a folder that you've shared with your wife.

When you next launch 1Password for iOS on your iPhone it will rightfully complain about the loss of the .agilekeychain and you will have to set up Sync with Dropbox again I'm afraid - sorry about that.

I do think we're in the final leg of this marathon so I hope you aren't too disheartened :smile:

• shawjd1
    shawjd1
    Community Member
    Options

Not at all dishearten - I’m actually elated. Do you know how hard it is to find GOOD CS out there.
    You folks are the exception. I have to run out for a few then I will follow your latest post and then report in.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We've got our fingers crossed and hopefully you'll be reporting everything is good :smile:

• shawjd1
    shawjd1
    Community Member
    Options

You may uncross fingers - the process behaved just as written by littlebobbytables and Drew (this round). Looks like all is working with my wife’s MBP, same on mine.
    You folks have achieved Hero status in my mind. Hopefully getting my iPhone and my wife’s Android syncing will go smoothly. Anything to watch for or is the process well tested by thousands?

Once again, I can’t thank you enough, James.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shawjd1,

That's great news and thank you for your kind words. If it wasn't for the Incredibles I'd be mulling over the purchase of a cape (for that reference I present to you... No Capes!)

With the .agilekeychain now located to a shareable folder both of your mobile devices shouldn't have any issue. Both mobile platforms will look for the presence of an .agilekeychain and return a list of all found. With only one .agilekeychain to find there shouldn't be any complications :smile:

I believe you set up the iOS device once already but here's our Sync with Dropbox (iOS) again just in case and for Android the page is Sync settings. After you've selected the Dropbox option for syncing it should be pretty straightforward but as always, we'll be here to assist if you do have difficulties. After all, we've got a reputation to uphold now :wink:

This discussion has been closed.