Non-webpage logins

Options
Nekoninda
Nekoninda
Community Member

I've read the FAQ message on HTTP Authentication, and I'm not sure if it applies to my login issues at Southwest.com, and sites with similar login mechanisms. The kind of login panel that Southwest provides doesn't look much like the example in the message on HTTP Authentication, except that it is small. I don't think it is a standard pop-up window, either, since it is displayed even when I have pop-ups blocked in my browser preferences.

Is Southwest.com using HTTP Authentication for its login system, or are they using yet another mechanism? Can 1Password offer anything beyond copying the password from 1Password, and pasting the password into the login window's password field?

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: OS 10.10.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi @Nekoninda ,

That's a great question! Now, HTTP Authentication refers to a pop-up that is brought up by the browser, outside of the webpage. Southwest.com uses a separate login pane within the webpage for the Login. It is not so much a pop-up as it is a separate menu, just drawn on a separate 'layer' to make it stand out. I know, it seems like a minor distinction, right?

But the good news is that, as a general rule, 1Password can fill these pop-ups that occur within the website. You won't be able to use 1Password's 'Go and Fill' feature here ('Go and Fill' is the name for what 1Password does when you click on a URL in the main app or on an item's title in Mini. 1Password will open the URL and fills your details in one fell swoop.) Go and Fill doesn't work on these sites because that login pane is not visible until the 'sign in' button is clicked, so 1Password can't find anything to fill. It can however, fill your details using the ⌘\ ( Command- \ ) shortcut once the username and password fields are visible.

Unfortunately, it seems that there is something wonky going on with the Southwest site. I've tested here, and 1Password is not filling as it should. We have a bug report filed for this and hopefully our filling gurus can get it working again soon.

In the meantime though, you will want to use the copy and paste workaround listed in the HTTP article.

I hope this helps to explain things, but if you have any questions, please let me know! :)

ref: OPX-904

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Megan, you're very welcome! Hopefully we'll be able to get 1Password and Southwest.com to play nicely together. ;)

If you need anything else, please let us know - we're always happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.