Clean Install OS X - which libraries and plists do I need to copy?

Jo*
Jo*
edited February 2011 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Hi all,

I'll be moving to a new Mac (27" iMac) as my primary workhorse soon and for various reasons want to do a clean install of OS X in order not to carry over lots of trash that accumulated over time from my current OS install on my MacBook Pro. Thus I opted for a clean install rather than a migration via migration assistant. Also I'll be trashing apps that I haven't used for a certain period of time.

One of the first apps I'll be installing is 1Password. In order to keep all my passwords and log-ins as well as the apps current settings I'd like to copy the respective application libraries and plist files (and whatever else is needed) from my current harddrive to the new machine.

While I'm currently still on Leopard (10.5.8 ) I'll be moving to its successor Snow Leopard (10.6.6) on the new machine.

Could anyone please point me to 1Passwords library and/or plist-files (etc.) that I will have to move over in order to basically keep going from where I left? Is there anything I'll have to specifically consider regarding the OS upgrade?

Thanks a lot!

Jo

Comments

• MikeT
    edited February 2011
    Hi Jo,

It is time for a *spring* cleaning, isn't it?

The most important file you want to copy or backup is your 1Password data file. The file is called 1Password.agilekeychain and it is located in this path:
    ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

~ is your home folder.

You can backup the whole 1Password folder in the Application Support since this contains several of your backups as well. If you're using Dropbox, it'll be located in the Dropbox folder:
    ~/Dropbox

After you back up the file and you switch to the iMac, just download a new copy of 1Password at our web site here: Downloads

Move your data file back to the same location if you want.

This guide will help: Backing up 1Password before switching to a new install

I'd suggest that you do not copy anything else like the plist file, just set the preferences again after installing 1Password. The old plist file will contain information about the folder paths from the old Mac, so it is better to start from a clean plist file.

I hope this helps, please let us know if you have any more questions.
  • Hi Mike,

Yeah, "spring"-cleaning hits the nail on the head. I've just way too much junk on my machine. Thanks a lot for your precise instructions and the link to the guide!

Jo
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    On behalf of Mike, you are quite welcome! :-)

It always feels good to start fresh. I have been meaning to do that myself lately, but it keeps getting delayed. I just can't afford even the small amount of downtime. Maybe its time to just buy a new machine. :lol:

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with or if you run into any problems during your spring cleaning. We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.