Auto generated password contains swear word

cpfusion
cpfusion
Community Member

Hi there,

Just been in the embarrassing situation of having to apologise to a client for sending out a 16 digit auto generated password of which the first four characters were F u c k.

Would it be possible to add in some way to incorporate possible character combinations, or stop words, which will never be included in a password?

I have been using 1Password for nearly 9 years and have never had this happen before, but I would like to make sure that it doesn't happen again if possible.

Hope you guys can help

Best,
Craig

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.0.8
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cpfusion,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us about that, and I'm very sorry to hear that happened! Although I can't make any promises, I can certainly let our developers know you'd like to have an option to block certain possible character combinations/words from appearing in the password generator.

To be honest, I've never heard of this happening before. Since the password generator generates random passwords, the chances of those specific characters appearing together in that specific order are incredibly small. Of course, it depends a bit on the settings you use in the password generator - if you have the "Pronounceable" option enabled, I suppose there's a slightly better chance something like that would happen. Personally, when I use the password generator, the "Pronounceable" option is almost always disabled, and digits and symbols are included, and as a result I don't think I've ever seen a real word included in one of those generated passwords. If you don't already use those settings, you might want to try them out.

This isn't something that's very likely to happen again, but since the possibility exists, one thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to use the first generated password you see. And in case it helps, you can also edit one of the generated passwords before saving it.

Hopefully this helps, and thanks again for letting us know about that. If you have questions or need anything else, we're here for you! :)

• cpfusion
    cpfusion
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I will probably change those settings for my own passwords, but some of my clients want to have passwords that they can remember rather than a completely random password with digits and symbols. That one certainly was memorable (if for the wrong reasons!), and it is my own fault for just pasting it directly into a pair of password fields and then hitting the enter key before checking it out :(

I appreciate the fact that you will mention it to your developers, it might be something which is fairly easy to incorporate, it might be difficult, but either way I thank you for at least passing it on.

I will never stop advocating 1Password as I think it is the best password management solution available, this unfortunate occurrence was mainly user neglect and that I will rectify in the future ;)

Best,
    Craig

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, @cpfusion! And I'm really happy to hear you love 1Password so much - we want our customers to enjoy using it as much as we love making & supporting it. :)

Yes, I imagine that password was certainly memorable! ;)

If you need anything else, just let us know.

This discussion has been closed.