vault problem

Options
mrelcee
mrelcee
Community Member

Long time user never had a problem. I am currently on my wife's macbook as mine is in for repairs. I was lost without 1pwd and frankly I use such awfully complex passwords i can't remember anything so I am locked out of most sites or have to do 'lost password' to get in. not optimal..

I was using dropbox syncing on my other machine so I got dropbox going and synced to my account on her machine. that's fine and dandy..

I own the Mac Appstore version of 1password. I installed that and when I go to the preferences panel to set up my vault, I am presented with no menus for syncing.. (attached screen grab)

My install on the other machine is really old dating back to 1password when it was 1passwd :) after spelunking knowledgebase i noted that my password vault bundle is in the root directory of my dropbox account. I went and made a 1password folder and moved the file into that.

still no good.

i've double clicked on the vault. It launches 1password and nothing happens. No matter what I do. no options show up for where to sync. Furthermore it is saying I am using a secondary vault, and I cannot add new sites to it. I cannot find any files in ~/library I have looked at my backup of my system and there's so much junk in there from old versions I can't make heads nor tails of what is what.

Curious if anyone has had anything similar occur. and what the solution was.

1Password Version: 5.3 (MAS)
Extension Version: enoclu
OS Version: OS X 10.10.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• mrelcee
    mrelcee
    Community Member
    Options

my bad using 10.10.3. using .4 beta on MY mac..

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mrelcee,

When you first launch 1Password on this Mac you should see a Welcome to 1Password window and before you do anything else you need to click the Awesome! Let's Get Started button in the bottom right hand corner. At that point a more normal looking 1Password window will appear and what will probably assist is our Finding existing 1Password data during setup guide.

I believe that should get you up and running again. I'm confident I'm seeing the Welcome to 1Password screen in the background of your screenshot and until that screen is dismissed it will seem like 1Password simply isn't working. If that doesn't help though please do let us know so we can continue the troubleshooting process.

• mrelcee
    mrelcee
    Community Member
    Options

I see the awesome get started button. Click that, to no avail. every time I run the app i get that window.. I still have no option to add a vault and everything remains as per my first message...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi @mrelcee,

After you've clicked the Awesome! Let's Get Started button what do you see? You should get the following window.

If this isn't popping up immediately does the menu option Window > 1Password make any difference?

The reason why the preferences is empty is you can only set up synchronisation of an existing vault. What you want to do is tell 1Password that you're an existing user and point it to your .agilekeychain that is in Dropbox.

Normally what would happen is you click the Awesome! Let's Get Started button and the screen above. At that point you should be able to follow the guide I linked you to where you first click the I've used 1Password before button and then guide 1Password to your .agilekeychain.

If nothing is working it might be worth rebooting your Mac and see if a reboot cures whatever is going wrong. Let us know if any of that makes any difference.

• mrelcee
    mrelcee
    Community Member
    Options

I am not seeing that dialog. I've rebooted my system several times since this has started.

What I see is a flash of something and then i am presented with no window. just the app framework for the menu system..

• mrelcee
    mrelcee
    Community Member
    Options

window->1password does not make any difference

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mrelcee,

Something seems to be very wrong. I'd like you to try the following for us please.

Can you follow our How do I start over with an empty vault? guide for the Mac App Store version of 1Password. Before the reboot though can you also drag the copy of 1Password from your Applications folder to the Trash and then reboot.

After the reboot you will need to download 1Password from the OS X App Store again. Having done this, does the program behave any better at all?

I am sorry you've had to jump through these hoops, you're certainly not experiencing the initial greeting that you're meant to.

• mrelcee
    mrelcee
    Community Member
    Options

That did the job, thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great to hear @mrelcee, thank you for letting us know it's up and running :smile:

This discussion has been closed.