Why can't 1Password M=mini on 2nd display where Safari's located??

Options
soundsgoodtome
soundsgoodtome
Community Member

I have dual, 30" displays, and Safari is always open on display 2. But when I invoke 1P mini, it opens in the middle of display 1—nowhere near Safari. It's so far away, in terms of the line of sight that I often don't even see it appear, especially if other windows are already open there.

I see other threads describing issues with 1P mini going back as far as 2012. Why is this so difficult? If the focused browser window is on display 2, 1Pm should always open there. Why is this such a problem? :-)

1Password Version: 5.1
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @soundsgoodtome,

I'm sorry you're having trouble getting 1Password mini to appear on the second display! Now, I'm not a developer so I'm afraid I don't know the exact details, but my understanding is that there are various factors and situations which make this more complicated than it may seem.

There are a few odd issues with the position of 1Password mini that our developers are working on, but I noticed you said you're using 1Password version 5.1, which is a bit older at this point as there have been some updates since 5.1 was released last January. If you're using the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5, the latest update is 5.3. If you're using the AgileBits Store version, the latest update is 5.3.2. Please make sure you install the latest update - does that make any difference?

If not, can you please let us know a few more details:

• Do you invoke 1Password mini by clicking the extension icon in Safari, clicking the mini icon in the Mac menu bar, using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut, or using the ⌥⌘\ keyboard shortcut?
    • Is Safari the current app when you open 1Password mini?
    • In System Preferences > Mission Control, is the option for "Displays have separate Spaces" enabled?
    • If you manually drag the 1Password mini window to a different location on either monitor (i.e. not in the center), does it open in that position the next time?

Thanks!

• soundsgoodtome
    soundsgoodtome
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply.

First, as a "power user," I update everything, on every machine, as soon as I'm prompted. I never choose "Remind me later." (Plus, I've enabled beta updates.) But I do find the prompts for 1P to be inconsistent at times. I'm frankly horrified (and mortified) that I'd be behind by that many versions, but not once was I notified (on that machine) of any updates.

Ironically, I'm composing this reply on one of my other Macs—a Macbook Pro—and this machine's already running 5.3.2. No clue why the Mac Pro with dual displays would be so far behind. I update apps religiously.

I just updated the Mac Pro remotely to 5.3.2. Tomorrow I'll observe the behavior on that machine, then report back as soon as I note anything relevant.

Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @soundsgoodtome,

I'm not sure why you wouldn't have been prompted to install updates for 1Password on your Mac Pro, unless the option to automatically check for updates was disabled. Hopefully the update helps, but if you still have a problem with 1Password mini on your displays, please let us know. Thanks!

• soundsgoodtome
    soundsgoodtome
    Community Member
    Options

Updated to latest version. 1P mini still appears on the wrong display.

To answer your questions:

• I typically use the ⌥⌘\ shortcut.
    • Safari
    • "Displays have separate Spaces" is NOT enabled.
    • Manually dragging does not change 1P mini's position when invoked in the future.

Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @soundsgoodtome,

Thanks for the additional info! I'm sorry the update didn't help. It sounds like this is indeed part of an issue our developers are aware of and working on (it's not the same as an issue from 2012, although they may sound similar). I don't have a timeframe for when to expect a fix, but I'll add your comments to our internal tracker to let our developers know you're also experiencing this.

For now, there are a couple potential workarounds. You can try enabling the "Displays have separate Spaces" option in System Preferences > Mission Control, or if you'd rather not do that, you can try using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut from Safari. Alternately, clicking on the 1Password extension button in Safari should make it appear correctly.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience! If you have more questions about that, please do let us know.

ref: OPM-1603

This discussion has been closed.