Google Drive Support sync coming?

124»

Comments

• Thanks! I'll add your vote for Google Drive. :)

• Sin
    Sin
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

another vote for Google Drive sync on iOS!

• I'm adding your vaote, @Sin. Thanks!

• afalk42
    afalk42
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    I have been using DropBox for many years, but now that Google Drive gives me an Unlimited Tier (Google Apps for Work Unlimited), I can get Unlimited storage for less money than the 5TB package on DropBox. I have thus begun migrating all my data from DropBox to Google Drive. I use 1Password religiously on all my platforms (Windows8, MacOS, and Android) and cannot live without it. 1Password Sync seems to work nicely with Google Drive on both Win8 and MacOS, but I desparately need support for it in 1Password for Android. I've seen previous threads on this topic for several years back, but was wondering if you could please update the community on your release plans? I really want to avoid having to keep my DropBox subscription active just for 1Password, when I've moved everything else over to Google Drive.
    Thank you kindly,
    A.Falk

1Password Version: 4.2.1
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Android 5.0.1
    Sync Type: Google Drive

• Hey @afalk42. Thanks for contacting us with your request for Google Drive. I'm adding your vote. :)

Unfortunately, we don't have any news regarding Google Drive at this time. We're communicating with Google, and hoping to be allowed the permissions we'd need in order to offer Google Drive support.

That said, we've heard from several users who were able to sync with local storage, and use the Google Drive app to sync that folder (.agilekeychain) with their other devices. Since you're able to use it nicely with Mac and Windows, it sounds like this might be a good option for you in the meantime. That said, while we don't officially support Google Drive sync, we're more than happy to help troubleshoot any issues that may arise when syncing the way I suggested.

Let us know if you have any other questions or feedback! Thanks!

• afalk42
    afalk42
    Community Member

Hi @peri, that sounds like a possible workaround indeed, thank you very much for the suggestion!
    When you say "we've heard from several users who were able to sync with local storage, and use the Google Drive app to sync that folder (.agilekeychain) with their other devices", then I assume the process you are referring to is to use a 3rd party app like Autosync for Google Drive to sync between local storage on Android and the Google Drive directory? Is there any particular 3rd party app that those unnamed "several users" you've heard from are using? There seems to be at least 3 or 4 of those in the app store (Autosync for Google Drive, GDriveSync, and FolderSync).

• Hey @afalk42. Which app to use, I can't say. Since we don't officially support these sync services, I don't want to offer any suggestions here. However, I have seen users syncing using all three that you mentioned, and were able to do so successfully, so it's up to you. :)

Whichever you choose, please let us know if you have any trouble with it. We'll be happy to help sort out any problems you may have using any of these sync solutions.

Thanks again!

• afalk42
    afalk42
    Community Member

OK, so I have the files on my Android device now. But I don't seem to be able to get 1Password to sync with a local folder? I can turn off DropBox sync in the app, but that still doesn't give me the folder sync option back?

• shron
    shron
    Community Member

+1 for Google Drive :)

• @afalk42, 1Password 4 for Android allows you to select your data folder from any path, but once you have selected the path, it does not allow you to change it without resetting the application. So in order to reconfigure sync and set a new location, you will need to reset all of 1Password's settings. This is the only way to set the new path at the moment.

Here's what you will need to do. This will remove all of your data on your Android device, so please make sure to securely copy any new items you added on Android that have not synced over.

• Go into your device Settings > Apps > 1Password and tap "Clear data"

Then you can go ahead and reconfigure sync with local storage. Let us know if you have further questions! :)

Hey @shron. I'm adding your vote. Thanks!

• afalk42
    afalk42
    Community Member

Yup, figured it out. I just did the old uninstall/reinstall and it's working very nicely now.

So my last point is this question: I've heard the official statement "We're communicating with Google, and hoping to be allowed the permissions we'd need in order to offer Google Drive support." from you for a while now. And I'm not buying it.

Many other apps on Android include direct support for Google Drive, including Boxcryptor. There is a beautiful official API from Google available that does exactly that: https://developers.google.com/drive/android/

So what on earth do you mean by "to be allowed the permissions we'd need"? It's all right there in the API...

• Hi again! I'm glad to hear that you were able to reconfigure sync in order to use Google Drive.

With regards to your other question, Saad did a great job of explaining that in an earlier post in this thread.

During our look through the implementation, we discovered a limitation within the current Drive SDK for Android that prevents 1Password from being able to access files in the 1Password data folder not created using the API. This would mean using folder sync solution on another platform or manually uploading your 1Password data folder to Drive will not work with 1Password on Android. We are continuing to work hard on getting this feature implemented as soon as possible and we are in contact with Google to find a way to overcome these limitations.

Let us know if you have further questions! :)

• We don't have a public support ticket to point our users to at this time, but we are continuing to work with the team. Thank you for your support of 1Password and we appreciate the vote.

• peschkaj
    peschkaj
    Community Member

Another +1 for Google Drive support for 1 Password on all supported platforms - this is the only application that is keeping me using Dropbox.

• Thanks for the feedback! I'll go ahead and add your vote for Google Drive. :)

• JPKarsten
    JPKarsten
    Community Member

Hi We are test 1 password for business use. We use google drive in the business. any way we can use to sync with our Android devices?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    KB Article: share-vault

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JPKarsten!

I merged your question into our Google Drive megathread :)

We're looking into adding Google Drive support, but we don't know when or if it will become available for use with 1Password. I'll add your vote to our internal tracker!

Thanks for letting us know of your interest in syncing with Google Drive :)

• Richardsondx
    Richardsondx
    Community Member

+1 Google Drive is needed

• Thanks for the vote, @Richardsondx! :)

• andreloja
    andreloja
    Community Member

Still no sign of Drive sync?

• romankhar
    romankhar
    Community Member

need Google Drive support or MS OneDrive support - either of these two will work!

• Thanks for the votes! I'll go ahead and add them. :)

For an in-depth explanation of where we are with Google Drive, please have a look at mverde's comment here.

This discussion has been closed.