Multiple Vaults and Ease of Selecting

Options
wikiwa
wikiwa
Community Member

The multiple vault aspect of 1password-mini on OSX could use some attention.

Setup: I have a primary vault, and my wife has a separate one as well. We have a shared vault between us for common logins.

OSX: I use the keyboard shortcut extensively and having to switch between vaults doesn't make sense in this UI. Having a duplicate key in my vault and the shared vault defaults to my entry rather than listing the duplicates out (similar to if they were in the same vault).

Far too many times I have submitted a login for my account when I needed to use the common. Disabling the entry altogether isn't a very good workaround.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wikiwa,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us about this and for your feedback! If I understand, you have 2 vaults, as well as 2 Login items for the same site - your Primary vault has one Login item which is your own account on that site, and your secondary/shared vault has the other Login item which is a different account on that site. Is that correct?

If so, I see what you're saying - using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut on that site will immediately fill the Login item from the currently-selected vault in 1Password, rather than finding both Login items and giving you a choice. We've heard from other customers about similar situations and we do have an open feature request to be able to have 1Password search in all vaults. I don't have a timeframe for if/when that will be added, but I'll gladly add your comments to our internal tracker to let our developers know you are also interested in that.

For now, there are a couple workarounds I can suggest which might help. First, when you go to that site, you can use the ⌥⌘\ keyboard shortcut to open 1Password mini, then switch to the other vault (if necessary) by using another shortcut - ⌘1 for the Primary vault, or ⌘2 for the secondary vault. The matching Login item should be suggested, and you can hit Return/Enter to use that to fill the form.

Another option would be to copy the "common" Login item for that site from the secondary vault to your Primary (i.e. have a copy of that item in each vault). That way, when you go to the site and use the regular ⌘\ keyboard shortcut, you'll be given a choice of which Login item to use. If you make any changes to that "common" Login item, you'd need to remember to re-copy it from one vault to the other.

If you have more questions about that or anything else, please let us know! :)

ref: OPM-1644

• wikiwa
    wikiwa
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, you understand the situation correctly.

Thanks for the alternative shortcut, I'll make use of it.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wikiwa,

Hopefully the suggestion helps while we wait for a more unified view. I know there are many that would love to see this :smile:

This discussion has been closed.