Cannot run 1Password for Windows

Options

2015-06-30-02T23:35Z
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
When I try to run 1Password 4.5.0.575, I grant it permission as administrator, and everything disappears from the operating system's desktop.  I cannot display the taskbar, and the only way I can regain control is to invoke Task Manager and restart or shut down the workstation.  I think that 1Password needs to and is trying to get permission from the operating system to do what it needs to do.  If I can't get this to work, I'll have to ask for a refund.
Help, please.
Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dastamm,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Is it possible you are clicking the "Unlock on Secure Desktop" button?

• dastamm
    dastamm
    Community Member
    Options

2015-07-01-03T00:05Z

Not that I know of.  I double-clicked the shortcut that the installer produced.

Dave

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dastamm: This is really strange. So Windows isn't responding at all? Try restarting the computer to see if that helps. 1Password can't block the whole OS, even if it freezes outright ("This application is not responding", etc.)

Do you have security software on your computer that might be conflicting for some reason? Since it sounds like you won't have anything private displayed ("everything disappeared"), could you include a screenshot in your reply so I can see what you mean? Also, be sure to let me know the exact steps you're taking and what is (or is not) happening for you. We will get the bottom of this! :)

• dastamm
    dastamm
    Community Member
    Options

2015-07-01-03T21:55Z

NOTE:  I'd gladly attach the three screen shots I made, but the "Attach image / file button at the right end above doesn't do anything.

I usually have several programs running at one time, and the screen can easily look as in the first attachment. The installer produced the shortcut, which I moved into the "Shortcuts" folder on the desktop.  [ Screen shot of two Windows Explorer windows with arrow pointing to shortcut for 1Password ].

When I double-click the shortcut, all open windows disappear, and I cannot display the taskbar, which is set to automatically hide. See the second attachment. To regain control of the workstation, I have had to invoke Task Manager and restart or shut down. I went through this process three times last evening.

Now, having documented all that, this morning, when I routinely visited five sites that require passwords, the "1Password Auto-Save" window appeared when I chose the "log-in" buttons. See the third attachment. Because I'm concerned that 1Password is malfunctioning (or that I don't know what to expect although I've read the quick start information and the first part of the manual), I choose the "Cancel" button.

If the "1Password Auto Save" window is supposed to appear when I choose the "Log-in" button for a site that does not yet have a 1Password password, am I to enter the master password that I have set?

Thanks,
    Dave Stamm

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

@dastamm,

NOTE: I'd gladly attach the three screen shots I made, but the "Attach image / file button at the right end above doesn't do anything.

Can you confirm that you do not have an extension installed that is blocking JavaScript and that JavaScript is enabled? I just tested in Safari for Mac in an admin and regular user account, and it appears to be working correctly. Another option is just to use one of the many image hosting services available. Imgur is an easy one to use.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

When I double-click the shortcut, all open windows disappear, and I cannot display the task bar

@dastamm You probably have "Unlock on Secure Desktop" turned ON here:

File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Browsers

I suggest you turn this feature OFF and then try again.

• dastamm
    dastamm
    Community Member
    Options

2015-07-02-04T10:50Z

khad, No, I cannot confirm that.  I don't know how to check it.  It's great that you checked on your Mac with Safari, but I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium and Firefox.  For whatever reason it's working now.

svondutch, I can't find a way to get to the program's interface to do this.

Both, I am running ZoneAlarm, which might be involved.

Is there someone with whom I can talk this evening after, say 7:30 or 8:00 PM EDT?

Dave Stamm

• Dmitry_N
    Dmitry_N
    Community Member
    Options

@dastamm
    What if you try to enter your password here and unlock 1Password?
    Then go to Preferences and disable "unlock on secure desktop".

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @dastamm,

Like other mentioned, it looks to be an issue with Secure Desktop, that's why everything appears to disappear, you were taken to a different desktop.

Try opening 1Password again and see if you can escape Secure Desktop by pressing the ESC key, which should return you back to regular desktop and 1Password locked.

Once 1Password is unlocked, click on the Preferences button on the toolbar, and go to the Browsers section to uncheck Unlock on Secure Desktop and then click OK to save it.

Restart 1Password, see if you can open it properly now.

• dastamm
    dastamm
    Community Member
    Options

2015-07-03-05T05:45Z

I was able to press "Esc" and to display again everything that had disappeared, but . . .

Please_understand_this:  I have not seen any part of the program's interface that includes a menu bar and commands.  Therefore, there is no "Preferences" button or toolbar or anything other than what I've shown you in the screen shots for me to use.

So, in hope of being able to do something diffe
    rent such that I will be able to see such parts of the interface, I again uninstalled the program and again installed it.

When I double-clicked the shortcut, a window appeared to inform that it was checking for a later version, and a "1Password Trial" window appeared.  Both of them locked up, so I killed them.

This has gone from bad to worse.  What's the possibility of our connecting via Skype so I can share my desktop with you, and you can see for yourself what happens?  Please let me know. Until then, I'm going to again uninstall the program.  If we can't sort this out, I will ask for my money back.

Thanks,
    Dave Stamm
    in eastern time zone

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dastamm: Definitely something strange going on on your system there. I'm sorry for the trouble! If Windows Secure Desktop isn't working properly, there won't be anything 1Password can do about it.

At this point, the best thing to do would be to email us at support+forums at agilebits dot com (just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots') and we'll work with you to get to the bottom of this! :)

• dastamm
    dastamm
    Community Member
    Options

2015-07-03-05T15:30Z

OK, but before I forget, I'll add this bit here.  I run ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall 13.1.211.000.  I believe that I mentioned this less specifically earlier in this thread. I use it to control general access to the Internet and to grant and withdraw permissions to get to the Internet.

I again uninstalled 1Password last night.  When I granted access to the Internet to start the session I'm in now, ZoneAlarm alerted me that 1Password wanted access to the Internet.  This ought not be because I uninstalled 1Password.  So the uninstallation was not complete, and 1Password has apparently gone zombie.  Sheesh.

Thanks,
    Dave Stamm
    available via Skype by arrangement

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @dastamm,

Did you restart the computer after uninstalling 1Password? Windows sometimes won't terminate all of the processes we requested and it is only completed as soon as the computer restarts to clear all processes.

• dastamm
    dastamm
    Community Member
    Options

2015-07-03-05T17:20Z

Yes, I did, and I shut down the workstation overnight.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @dastamm,

Does ZoneAlarm give you more details as to what it was connecting to and which process? If yes, can you share it with us.

Can you open up Task Manager, do you see any Agile*.exe or 1Password.exe processes?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Also keep in mind that 1Password does access the internet for update checks and icon downloads; but also for some reason many security suites block localhost (127.0.0.1) connections — maybe not understanding that your computer is not the internet. :unamused:

Setting an exception for 1Password or simply disabling ZoneAlarm temporarily should tell you if it is indeed the culprit.

• MikeT
    Options

@brenty, except 1Password is uninstalled in this case, it shouldn't make any connections, local or remote.

This discussion has been closed.