Error message after filling says, "1Password could not fill any fields…" [fixed in 4.5.0.BETA-581]

Options
David Spink
David Spink
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi,
Just started using Firefox browser today - have installed the 1Password extension and all my logins have come across fine. However it's going weird...

First noticed on amazon.co.uk that it would log me in sucessfully but then immediately pop up the "1Password did not find any fields to fill" message - ignore the message and everything is fine.

Then I bought something and went to the Delivery Address page and it went really crazy - 1Password was putting values into certain fields (couldn't work out which or why) and then submitting the page causing Amazon to highlight fields as incorrect, poping up the "1Password did not find any fields to fill" message and then repeating. I couldn't get it to stop refreshing the page until I went to Firefox addons and disabled 1Password. Luckily it wasn't submitting my order multiple times ;)

It's also doing a similar thing with Facebook - logging me in ok, but then popping the same message (about no fields to fill). It also seems to cause the Facebook newsfeed to jump down about half a page then Facebook shows a message saying "Opps, something went wrong, we're working to fix it". Again if I disable 1Password that doesn't happen.

All my logins work perfectly on the same computer using Chrome - never experienced this before.

Any idea what's going on?

Regards,
David

1Password Version: 4.5.0.572(12)
Extension Version: 4.4.0.b7
OS Version: Windows 10 Build 10130
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• That's a strange issue for sure @David Spink.

Can you tell us which extension you're using in Firefox besides 1Password?
    Maybe one of the is causing this erratic behaviour.

• David Spink
    David Spink
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    The only other extension I have installed is PushBullet.
    Regards,
    David

• David Spink
    David Spink
    Community Member
    Options

I've come in to work this morning and installed Firefox exactly the same as I did on my home computer last night - but I'm not getting the "weirdness". Same version of Windows, Firefox, and 1Password. Guess there is something odd/unique going on with my one at home.

• Do you use third-party anti-malware software? If so, which one?

• David Spink
    David Spink
    Community Member
    Options

Nope. No antimalware other than built in Windows stuff :)

• Interesting. Any proxy server or VPN in use?

• David Spink
    David Spink
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Yes, I have a VPN connection I use to connect to work. It was probably connected at the time.
    David

• David Spink
    David Spink
    Community Member
    Options

Ok thanks. I'll have a look at that. But would that explain why the problem only happens with Forefox? Never had a problem like that with Chrome.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

But would that explain why the problem only happens with Forefox? Never had a problem like that with Chrome.

If you have the problem in Firefox (not in Chrome), then another Firefox extension might be responsible for this problem. Please see our troubleshooting article. Thanks!

• MikeT
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi @David Spink,

Please try to disable all Firefox extensions except 1Password, restart Firefox, and see if 1Password can fill. If yes, there's an extension preventing 1Password from finding the site's source code it needs to analyze.

If that is the case, try to re-enable one of them at a time to pinpoint the extension. Once you find it, please do let us know what it is and see if the extension can be configured to allow 1Password to work on the site.

• David Spink
    David Spink
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Thanks. It seems to be working better now - only change is that I didn't have my VPN connected last night. I'm not convinced that's the problem so will see if I can figure out when it happens and report back if I can.

David

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @David Spink,

If it was VPN, Chrome should've reacted the same way unless you're using VPN only for Firefox? I'm not sure how that works but I wouldn't be surprised.

• Twinkie
    Twinkie
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem today, also with a recent upgrade to FireFox 38.0.5. I'm using the 1Password beta browser extension. I got the same message on several sites, despite 1Password having filled in the fields and logged me in properly.

• MikeT
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi guys, I can confirm the issue and we'll try to get this fixed soon.

Thanks for reporting this.

Bug ID #: OPX-1011

• David Spink
    David Spink
    Community Member
    Options

Great, at least I know I'm not going mad, lol. Thanks MikeT :chuffed:

• MikeT
    Options

No problem. I'll follow up as soon as we have more information or a fix to share.

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Has this been fixed yet (on Firefox)? Upgraded to Firefox 39.0 today but the problem persists.

I've been experiencing exactly the same symptoms as David Spink's original report, on multiple mainstream sites (RBC, Rogers, HydroOne, etc) that worked fine a couple of weeks ago! 1Password is more or less unusable (for me) on Windows at the moment.

Thanks.

• MikeT
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi @ings,

The false positive issues hasn't been fixed yet, we're still trying to figure this out but it is likely we may need to remove the notification completely.

Just to be clear, David later clarified there are no issues with filling, only that it keeps prompting of a problem despite the successful filling. Are you saying you can't get 1Password to fill on these sites?

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Mike,

Sample size three :) it seems to fill OK, and usually auto-submit too, but then I get prompted that there is a problem (just like David Spinks). And then - sometimes - 1Password keeps trying to fill, which depending on what the first screen is after login, can cause odd or undesirable behavior.

It's the random behavior after login which is why I'm avoiding using 1Password on Windows right now. All is well on Mac Safari though. :)

P.S. Earlier today I submitted a problem report in response to that prompt. It's the same issue we're discussing here.

• David Spink
    David Spink
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Just to clarify I'm having the same problem as ings. 1Password will fill the login information and login ok - however it will then fill random fields on further pages within the same site (and may or may not also prompt that it can't find any fields to fill). It's happened to me with PayPal, Facebook, and other sites - oddly not all the time though! If I completely close and reopen Firefox it usually works again ok. Other times I've got to go in to Add Ons and disable 1Password so I can continue using whatever site I'm on. I've noticed recently that it happens with Office 365, I can login at https://login.microsoftonline.com ok, go through various pages without issue, but then when I logout and return to the login page (for example to change users) 1Password immedtiately and automatically fills in the login boxes and logs me back in the the same details I originally selected. It's like it hadn't realised the login completed previously and is still looking for the login fields on the page.
    David

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for all of your feedback. We were trying this out on the Mac as well but it resulted in just too many false positives so it was pulled quickly. As handy as it would be if it works, it may not be viable in its current form.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

I believe the reason that 1Password is reporting issues is the same reason it is behaving incorrectly on the page, the information is confusing 1Password into thinking it didn't fill at all and it tries to correct itself when it detected the page again.

Due to the too many false reports we're getting, we're going to remove the notification bubbles from the program. We'll still be able to let you report site issues via the 1Password Helper's menu.

With that aside, we need to reproduce the problem with the erroneous behavior after filling. I'm starting with Paypal because that's an account many of us have.

@David Spink,

I logged into Paypal, went to the overview page, I don't see anything strange and then I logged out, nothing happens. I did get a false positive as expected but I can't make it fill in.

Can you try to reproduce with Paypal to see how to reproduce it? Here's what I'm testing with:

1. 1Password 4.5.575 (non-beta)
    2. 1Password extension 4.4.0 in Firefox (non-beta)
    3. Windows 8.1
    4. Firefox 39

@ings,

What about Firefox on Mac, does it show the same problem? Different browsers have different extension code but same browser on both Windows and Mac have the same code. If you can reproduce it on the Mac, that will narrow it very quickly for us because we can rule out platform-specific code.

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I'm not near my Mac this weekend but I'll give it a whirl (on Mac Firefox) on Monday.

• MikeT
    Options

Great, thanks. Enjoy your weekend.

• David Spink
    David Spink
    Community Member
    Options

I'll try it again later but if I remember right I was trying to make up a PayPal invoice and it kept
    inserting my email address in to one of the invoice fields and submitting the page.
    David

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @David Spink,

Thanks for the information. We have a system in place to prevent filling like this, it sounds like it is broken in your instance.

I went to Send & Request > Create and manage invoices > Create a new invoice and nothing is filled in for me.

Does it happen consistently for you? If so, please try it twice and then send us a diagnostic report, we might be able to see something in the logs if something got stuck at requesting to fill in consistently. You can use this guide to generate a diagnostic report to email to us and, in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can look for it, and confirm we got the email.

• David Spink
    David Spink
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,
    Ok I'll do that. I've just spent some time trying to work out what triggers it and I've worked out the following:

Manually enter the web address as "www.paypal.co.uk", once arriving at the paypal welcome page click the "LOGIN" button on that page. Then go to 1Password once I see the login boxes on screen and choose my paypal entry - boxes are filled, login works, everything is fine. Log out of paypal - which returns me to the welcome page - click the "LOGIN" button, empty username and password boxes appear - no problem.

However... if I open Firefox, and select my entry for PayPal directly from 1Password (rather than typing address in myself) the paypal welcome page appears as before, I still need to click "LOGIN" to get to the login page, 1Password then fills out the username/password as soon as that page loads (ie. I don't have to select my paypal entry from the 1Password again), I'm logged in ok, and can immediately choose logout - as before I'm returned to the paypal welcome page..... however if I now click "LOGIN" on the page the login page appears but it immediately filled with my login details, I'm then sucessfully logged back in... can logout, etc, and it will do it over and over.

The address I have saved in 1Password for paypal is: https://www.paypal.com/uk/

1Password 4.5.0.575
    1Password Extension 4.4.1.b1
    Windows 10 (build 10130)
    Firefox 39.0

David

• David Spink
    David Spink
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT,
    Diagnostic report now emailed as requested.
    David

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @David Spink,

I got the report, thanks.

With your Go and Fill steps, I was able to reproduce the problem and it seems to be limited to the Windows version of Firefox. I'll file a bug report with our extension team to see what's going on.

Thanks!

Bug ID #: OPX-1021
    Email ID #: GXS-27563-284

This discussion has been closed.