Why are there no links on the discussions page to get you back to the main agilebits home page?

reggoboy
reggoboy
Community Member

Why are there no links on the discussions page to get you back to the main agilebits home page? Seems like an oversight. Usually, clicking the company logo serves that function. After all, I'm trying to find a link to purchase the product :-)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@reggoboy: Hm, this is a good question! Frankly, I'm not sure it's come up before, since for the most part if you end up here it's because you've already been to agilebits.com and not found what you needed. I don't know offhand if there's a specific reason we don't link to the main site, so I'll be sure to bring this up with the team. Thanks for bringing it up! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Agilebits, as great as they are with the software, makes odd decisions sometimes.

Frankly, I'm not sure it's come up before, since for the most part if you end up here it's because you've already been to agilebits.com and not found what you needed.

+1

• reggoboy
    reggoboy
    Community Member

For example, someone may be looking for an answer to the difficult question of whether to buy from the App Store or from the web site (wasn't it $10 cheaper a couple weeks back when I was looking??). And so they might want to go back to the purchase page to check details, etc. Anyway!

• MikeT
    edited July 2015

Hi guys,

@wkleems,

Agilebits, as great as they are with the software, makes odd decisions sometimes.

We are humans after all but we do learn from our lessons quickly.

@reggoboy,

Right, you have the correct thinking here. The flow should be from the main page, to the support forum for any questions potential customers might have, and then back to main page to trial or buy our program.

Our support forum is a separate part of our overall infrastructure and is hosted as a cloud instance. Typically, the forum's logo is linked back to the forum index or home page, so you could reset and go to a different place.

I often click on the logo to go to the main page when I've traveled deeply in the discussions and just want to go back to the main page to figure out the next place to go. For new customers, this is a bit awkward, for existing customers, this feels right.

With that aside, we should definitely have a main site link somewhere on top. If someone found the forum from web searches, they'd like to go to the main site but there's no way to do that. We'll find a place to do this.

Thanks again!

Improvement ID #: AGW-225

• reggoboy
    reggoboy
    Community Member

I'm always looking for ways to improve things. 1P seems very well done, so it's the kind of project that's worth making an effort to help out with :-)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

At the top of the forum there appear to be two logos, but they are in fact only one. Maybe an approach would be to split that graphic and make the AgileBits part point to the main site, and the Support Forum text be the link back to the top of the four?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2015

You don't need to split the graphic - images can have hit areas defined, each with different links.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Well, I obviously don't know much about putting together web pages. :(

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

I like your idea - I was thinking the same thing yesterday, and was going to post. But it was the 4th, and I had a summer salad to make, friends to visit, and fireworks to see. I love summer. :)

• Jasper
    edited July 2015

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions! Links to the main site and knowledgebase have been added to the header:

@hawkmoth, @MrC: You won't see the links since you're moderators (there's not quite as much space there for more links).

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

That should work. I still liked my idea, but it's probably too subtle.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Finally. For what it's worth, I was moaning about this more than a year ago.

As a corollary question, why on earth has the store page not been updated with the new look and feel? It feels jarring to switch between them.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RichardPayne,

I certainly agree, the store could use a bit of an update! Unfortunately, it comes down to the same thing as always: there are only so many hours in a day, and so many developers on our team. We've got a whole bunch of stuff that we're working on, and we just haven't been able to wrangle a web developer to get the store pages updated just yet. Let's just say I'm really happy that I don't have the power to say what gets priority and what has to wait just a little bit longer, because it's certainly not an easy decision to make. ;)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

It just seems like an odd omission, especially as it's pretty much the last thing to be done. You understand not revamping some legacy documentation page somewhere, but the main store page would have been on my high priority hit list if I were you.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RichardPayne ,

Unfortunately, that's a hard call to make without seeing the entire priority list. ;) Even as a member of the AgileBits team, I'm sure I don't know the full contents of that list. Of course, I don't disagree that the store page does look a bit odd right now, and I'd be happy to mention to our team that you're excite to see a re-vamp there as soon as possible.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015

Aye. It's definitely a bit of an 'odd duck' right now, but if it ain't broke don't try to fix it — until such time that we have someone to devote to revamping it and testing it thoroughly. :)

@reggoboy: P.S: Thanks again for bringing this up! <3

This discussion has been closed.