Installed 1password on my Macbook.Now do i install it on my IMac without paying an additional 49.99?

Options
margolisr
margolisr
Community Member

I am just beginning to use 1password. I have it installed it on my Macbook, my IPhone and IPad. How do I install it on my desktop IMac with out paying an additional $49.99? When I look a the app store, it wants my money. I don't have the extension installed because I don't have the 1password installed yet. I am running osx 10.7.5 because this is an older computer and I prefer to keep this version of the system software. All my other devices have the latest version of Mac software.

I just installed 1 password on my iphone and ipad so i have the latest version from your website or the app store.

Also I assume my husband can set up the same 1password on his iphone, ipad, and macbook.

Thanks, Roberta

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: os x 10.7.5
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @margolisr,

I'm happy to hear you're starting to use 1Password! We can definitely help to clear up confusion about licensing and versions and how to install it on your older Mac - and any other questions you might have! :)

I have it installed it on my Macbook, my IPhone and IPad. How do I install it on my desktop IMac with out paying an additional $49.99? When I look a the app store, it wants my money.

This depends on whether you purchased 1Password for Mac from the AgileBits Store or the Mac App Store. If you bought a license from the AgileBits Store (i.e. our website), you can download it again from our website on another Mac and activate it with your license file (which would be explained in an email you received from us if you bought it from our web store). On the other hand, if you bought the Mac version from the Mac App Store, you should be able to launch the Mac App Store on another Mac, make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID you used to make the purchase, and reinstall 1Password from the Purchases section.

If the Mac App Store says you need to purchase 1Password for Mac, that means either you're signed in with a different Apple ID than the one you used to buy it, or you bought it from the AgileBits Store instead of the Mac App Store. There's also a third possibility, which is that you have not yet purchased the Mac version of 1Password (in that case, you may be using a free 30-day trial from our download site). Please note that 1Password is licensed separately on each supported platform, which means the Mac and iOS versions of 1Password are sold separately. You can find more information about how 1Password is licensed here: What licenses do I need to use 1Password on all my devices?

I am running osx 10.7.5 because this is an older computer and I prefer to keep this version of the system software. All my other devices have the latest version of Mac software.

On Mac OS X 10.7.5, you'll need to use an older version of 1Password for Mac. Version 5 requires OS X 10.10, and version 4 requires OS 10.8 or 10.9. But you can still use 1Password 3 on OS 10.7.5. If you bought a license for 1Password for Mac from the AgileBits Store, the license email you received will also include a free license code for version 3. In that case, you can download 1Password 3 for Mac from the "Legacy" section at the bottom of our download site.

Or, if you bought 1Password from the Mac App Store, you should be able to install version 3 from the Mac App Store on the older Mac (although that's a problem if it doesn't recognize that you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store).

Also I assume my husband can set up the same 1password on his iphone, ipad, and macbook.

If you bought a 1Password for Mac license from the AgileBits Store, that allows up to 6 family members in the same household to share that license (each family member can use that same license on all their Macs). If you bought 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store, you can share that purchase with other family members using Apple's Family Sharing feature: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18977

The iOS version of 1Password works a bit differently. 1Password 5 for iOS is a free download, and offers free basic features. There are also Pro Features which are available via in-app purchase. You would only need to purchase the Pro Features once and can unlock them in 1Password 5 on all your iOS 8 devices associated with that same Apple ID. In-app purchases are unfortunately not included in Apple's Family Sharing feature, so if your husband uses a different Apple ID on his iPhone and iPad, Pro Features would be a separate purchase for him.

That's likely more information than you were expecting - I hope that all makes sense but please let us know if you have more questions about that. We're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.