How to deploy 1Password Updates in the Professional Environment

Options
bhayden
bhayden
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello -

We just did a mass deployment of 1password for our company. We are in a windows environment and we often use Microsoft's System Center Configuration Manager 2012 R2 (SCCM) for software deployment. Since it is a smaller company SCCM is often used for windows updates and automating large software installs. For 1password, we just simply went station to station for the install and got it done in about a day (this allowed for us to train staff at the same time).

Now that it has been in the environment for a little while another hurdle has come up. Updates require elevated privileges, which none of our users have. This means we have to either go station to station again (which we don't want to do) or we have to come up with a way to do a mass deployment for the updates. I would like to have a way that does not involve our department taking a day to perform updates.

So a couple of questions:
1) I have seen other users ask for the feature of admin free updates that does not involve the user -- this would be great, is it a feature planned for the future?

2) How easy would it be to get an .msi file of the installer for a mass quiet install using a tool like SCCM? -- This method would require us to make an update deployment in SCCM each time but at least I would not have to take a day to walk machine to machine. This also introduces the question on how the install would effect our licenses - currently we have one license number for a large block of licenses (business license). It is possible using packages to supersede the previous install will increment our licenses used every time we push out an update.

3) Does anyone have any other ideas to push out updates without user interaction?

Thanks in advance!
~Brandon

1Password Version: 4.5.0.572
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

I have seen other users ask for the feature of admin free updates that does not involve the user -- this would be great, is it a feature planned for the future?

@bhayden Yes, this is something we are planning for a future version. No time frame, sorry.

How easy would it be to get an .msi file of the installer for a mass quiet install using a tool like SCCM?

@bhayden Our current installer is not .msi -- we're using Inno Setup. That being said, here's how to instruct our setup to be silent:

1Password-4.5.0.575.exe /SILENT

When our setup is silent the wizard and the background window are not displayed but the installation progress window is.

1Password-4.5.0.575.exe /VERYSILENT

When our setup is very silent the installation progress window is not displayed. Everything else is normal.

This also introduces the question on how the install would effect our licenses

@bhayden It shouldn't.

Your 1Password license is stored here: %APPDATA%\AgileBits\OPW4.license

Alternatively, companies (like yours) can store (and distribute) their business license here:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\AgileBits\OPW4.license

• bhayden
    bhayden
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch

Thank you for your answers - this is exactly what I was looking for. Also I did not know about the all users license storage so you just solved another separate dilemma my co-worker was running into. She will be happy to know she does not need to install the program for each user.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @bhayden,

That's great, I'm glad Stefan was able to help you with all the questions you have and also for your co-workers. On his behalf, you're welcome.

If there's anything else we can help you with, let us know. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.