Website where 1Password Extension interferes with functionality

Hello there!
I wanted to provide someone at AgileBits the information that I've discovered that the 1Password extension in Safari or Chrome seems to interfere with the 'change password' page that University of Southern California is now using for all of their students and staff at: usc.edu/changepassword.
I have no idea what secret sauce they are using for their form, but somehow when you attempt to input the correct password using this form, it is always rejected as wrong, even when not using 1Password — the extension simply has to be enabled for the issue to occur. I have thoroughly cleaned caches, cookies, etc., but toggling 1Password extension off cures the problem in both Safari and Chrome, and reenabling the extension brings the problem back.
I don't know if you can do anything without a login to the site, but if you contact me offline, I can help troubleshoot, if you'd like.
Thanks!

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.4.0.b7
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @magicspark,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about that! I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your message to our "Saving and Filling in Browsers" forum.

Can you please give us a few more details about the problem? You said this happens on the 'change password' page of that site, so can I assume it has fields for the old/current password, the new password, and confirming the new password? Or is it set up differently than that? What exactly is being rejected - the current password or the new one? And to make sure I understand - this problem happens when the 1Password extension is enabled, even if you don't use the 1Password extension at all, and simply copy/paste (or manually type) the password into the field?

Also, is there any problem from the main login page of that site? Is it only an issue for the 'change password' form?

Thanks!

• magicspark
    magicspark
    Community Member

Hello again!

Yes — I think you've understood correctly. This form is to change the password for a student or staff account. The university requires staff to change their passwords periodically through this form (and it is the mechanism for changing it whenever a student wishes to change their account password). It has a field for the username and one for the current password. When correctly functioning, it will verify that the username and current password are correct, then proceed to the next step of selecting and confirming a new password.

When the 1Password extension is active/installed in either Safari or Chrome (current versions, and even past versions I've tested), even when you type the correct username and password combination (not using 1Password to fill them, though the same thing happens if you do use 1Password to do it or if you copy and paste it from 1Password), the system displays an animation as it 'thinks' about it, and then rejects it as incorrect (even though it is correct). Disabling the 1Password extension (uninstalling it) and relaunching the browser resolves the issue immediately — the correct name/password combo is accepted. (Reenabling the 1Password extension causes the rejection of correct credentials to resume.)

USC uses Shibboleth for logon to its web services (https://shibboleth.net), and its form does not seem to have any troubles with the 1Password extension (the USC account gets used for a lot of other, non-web systems, too, such as embedded systems, Office 365, etc.).

Does that help? Let me know if I can provide more information. I'm not with the IT department, so I can't give you credentials to test, but maybe you can see potential issues in the page code itself? I am also happy to act as a liaison, if you need it.

Thanks so much!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @magicspark,

Given the likely location and intended visibility of the pages in question I'm going to send you an email and we'll continue the conversation there, see if there is anything we can figure out :smile:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

HI @magicspark,

I've now emailed you. As we're now using email I'm going to go ahead and close this thread but if you have any further questions or issues please do post.

ref: YAX-16947-569

This discussion has been closed.