WiFi Sync "Stream read error" message

I have my iPhone 4 set to sync with my MacBook. When it tries to sync, it gets these errors on the console log.

7/9/15 6:08:15.337 PM 1Password[1584]: > beginHandshake with iPhone: 192.168.8.51:59198
7/9/15 6:08:15.340 PM 1Password[1584]: < beginHandshake with iPhone: 192.168.8.51:59198
7/9/15 6:08:15.341 PM 1Password[1584]: Stream read error: Error Domain=kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork Code=2 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error 2.)" UserInfo=0x608000264d40 {kCFGetAddrInfoFailureKey=8}
7/9/15 6:08:15.341 PM 1Password[1584]: streamReadError: Error Domain=kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork Code=2 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error 2.)" UserInfo=0x608000264d40 {kCFGetAddrInfoFailureKey=8}
7/9/15 6:08:15.341 PM 1Password[1584]: sync failed
7/9/15 6:08:15.341 PM 1Password[1584]: WiFi sync failed: Error Domain=kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork Code=2 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error 2.)" UserInfo=0x608000264d40 {kCFGetAddrInfoFailureKey=8}
7/9/15 6:08:15.341 PM 1Password[1584]: wifiSyncFailed:

I don't think I did anything that would cause this. 192.168.8.51 is my iPhone, the mac is 192.168.8.111. All on the same WiFi.

/Randy

1Password Version: 3.7.2 / 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 8.4 / OS X 10.9.5
Sync Type: WiFi

Comments

• JWeaver
    JWeaver
    Community Member

Hi,

That's a DNS error. Are you on a public network by chance or a private network used by the public such as in a hotel?

To your knowledge, is there a proxy in the network?

• RSaunders
    RSaunders
    Community Member

No, I am on my home network. How does DNS affect the WiFi connection between my iPhone and my MacBook, neither of which know the DNS name of the other? I have a Netgear router tied to my ISP's cable modem, no proxys, no VPNs, DHCP provided IP addresses. Local DNS lookups go to the cable modem, which clearly works as both the Mac and the iPhone can surf the Internet. The Mac sees the iPhone switch from Offline to Available when I run the iPhone app, so they are talking to each other enough to discover each other.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RSaunders,

I see why JWeaver went with the DNS route. Everything I can find on this error is suggesting DNS or proxy related. I've found one post out there that suggested it might be related to certain services not waking up properly too. It might be worth fully rebooting both the Mac and the iOS device and seeing if that helps. Keep us updated, if the reboot makes no difference we'll continue the troubleshooting.

• RSaunders
    RSaunders
    Community Member

Alas, reboots are always my zeroth debugging step. No change.

I stuck with version 3 for a long time because I didn't have a modern enough laptop, and I thought there was a iPhone 4 support issue with the current versions. If it's broken now, I need to re-investigate the forward migration path. What are the constraints on running the non-Legacy versions on my platforms?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RSaunders,

Can you try one more networking related troubleshooting test for me please. Can you see if an ad-hoc network makes any difference. If it does it might suggest something isn't quite right somewhere in the router and/or modem. We have a page for How to create an ad-hoc wireless network and the allows us to test what happens if we bypass your normal network. I'd like to see if that makes a difference because we have people even running Yosemite with 1Password 3. Some stuff has begun to break down but Wi-Fi Sync should still be working.

As for possible upgrades. Your iOS device can run 1Password 5 for iOS and your Mac can run 1Password 4 for Mac although if it's running Mavericks it should be capable of running not even just Yosemite (which would mean 1Password 5 for Mac) but even El Capitan when it is released. So depending on how adventurous you're feeling your hardware should be new enough for all the latest bells and whistles that iOS, OS X and 1Password have to dazzle you with :smile: Just to repeat though, I know we have people running 1Password 3 for Mac on Yosemite so it should be possible to get around this issue. Moreover, it might be something that would even impact later versions of 1Password should you still wish to use Wi-Fi Sync. If you have the time I'd be most interested to know if the ad-hoc network makes any difference.

• RSaunders
    RSaunders
    Community Member

Very Interesting.

The ad-hoc network produced the same results, but it's a clever idea that I can use at work, where my iPhone's not welcome on the WiFi.

However, it was not a networking problem. Some recent Mac OS update set the "What apps to run" parameter to "Mac App Store only". I know I didn't buy 1Password from the app store, I bought it ages ago. Somehow the app itself would run, maybe I approved it as an exception ages ago, but maybe there was an error with some library you use. Worrying I might have to rebuild the machine, I was running another tool. When I got the "Not allowed" message, I changed the setting back to "App Store and Known Developers", where it belongs. I wondered if this setting was the problem, and sure enough now sync works just fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Very interesting. Thanks so much for the update, and sharing that information! It sounds like there might have been a glitch with the security settings.

I haven't heard of this particular issue with Gatekeeper before, but a common problem with Wi-Fi Sync is that the Firewall will be on with proper exceptions set up, but behind the scenes they are no being honoured; and disabling the Firewall and then turning it back on again forces OS X to re-check the settings and then it works as expected. It may be that something similar happened in your case.

At any rate, it sounds like you should be all set (and ad-hoc is a great option in restricted environments!), but be sure to reach out if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.