Failed to unlock. Cannot load keychain profile. Can access 1passwordanywhere. But not direct.

Jonathan_F
Jonathan_F
Community Member

What to do? I upgraded my mac with a new ssd and went to Yosemite. I also went from 1password 3.9? to 5.3 My keychain is in dropbox and I can access it via the web. But not directly. I tried copying to my desktop. Here is a quick screen cast: file:///Users/jfrewing/Desktop/2015-07-13_2245.swf Please help. I really need this working. Many thanks.

I'm not very techy. So if you need me to give you some info, please explain how to get it. Thanks.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: (530029)
OS Version: Yosemite
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jonathan_F,

Unfortunately what you've added to your post was the path to the screencast that resides on your Desktop. As such none of us can see it I'm afraid and I doubt the forums will allow you to attach anything like that directly to a post.

We have a page intended to help somebody set up 1Password for Mac when they have existing data in Dropbox. The page in question is Sync existing Dropbox data and I wonder if this will help.

At the very least if might help us better understand what is going wrong. If you follow the steps and something goes wrong, knowing the precise step where what you see isn't what the steps tell you to expect could help us immensely in understanding the problem. Let us know how you get along and we'll continue the troubleshooting process with you :smile:

• Jonathan_F
    Jonathan_F
    Community Member

Hi. Thanks Bobby.

My Mac crashed last week.

I took it in to the doc's and was told it needed a hard drive transplant.
    Most data survived but 1Password 3.9 was damaged and hence amputated.
    I did not have the app on another machine.
    But I had the keychain in dropbox and can access it via the web as I write. It is fine.

I installed 1password 5 and did as instructed here:
    https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/new-computer.html
    I selected "Ive Used 1Password Before".

I then followed the logical steps here:
    https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/new-computer-dropbox.html
    All went to plan.

At step 4, "Unlock your Vault" I typed in my usual password and got this error:
    Failed to unlock. Cannot load keychain profile.

So I copied the keychain onto my desktop and tried again.
    This time I used 'select a different option' and chose the copy on my desktop.
    I got the same error: Failed to unlock. Cannot load keychain profile.

I can still access the dropbox copy of the keychain via the web. What should I do please?

Thank you.
    Jonathan.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jonathan_F,

Now it's just a thought but what is the current status of Dropbox for you on this Mac? By this I mean How do I know when Dropbox is syncing? The link is to a Dropbox article on how to tell if Dropbox is still syncing or not. The theory is 1PasswordAnywhere is working because you're interacting directly with Dropbox's servers when you do so. On your Mac though 1Password interacts with a local copy that might not have finished synchronising if you store a lot of data in Dropbox and it's still hard at work.

Of course this theory is kind of blown out of the water if when you say you copied the Agile Keychain to your Desktop you did so via Dropbox's webpage. If you copied the Agile Keychain from your Dropbox folder then the current working theory could hold true.

If Dropbox has finished syncing completely then this shouldn't be the case. Then we need to consider other less favourable possibilities. It would be nice if it's just Dropbox hasn't finished yet as that would mean it's merely a matter of time.

Could this be a possibility at all?

• Jonathan_F
    Jonathan_F
    Community Member

No Bobby.
    Much as I'd like this to be the problem,
    I'm afraid I only put the odd file into dropbox
    to share to my wife's computer.
    This is working fine and starts and finishes in moments.

I don't like the sound of 'less favourable possibilities' : o

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jonathan_F,

Just to clarify something: After the hard drive transplant, did you need to reinstall Dropbox and have it re-download all your Dropbox files to the local Dropbox folder on the new hard drive? The reason I ask is because although adding an occasional file to Dropbox in order to share it with your wife's computer may work very quickly, you could accumulate lots of files in there, and re-downloading them to your Mac all at once after installing Dropbox might take a lot more time than you'd expect. We've seen that delay the .agilekeychain from being fully downloaded, and that can cause the exact error message you're getting.

But rather than speculate, you can confirm this by opening the Dropbox folder on your Mac and finding 1Password.agilekeychain. Next to it, do you see a green circle with a check mark, or a blue circle with rotating arrows? If it has the blue circle with rotating arrows, it hasn't finished downloading from the Dropbox servers to your Mac yet.

In case there's actually an issue with that .agilekeychain, do you happen to have a backup of your Mac from before your Mac crashed? If so, it should also have your 1Password backups, and that could be another way to restore your data.

• Jonathan_F
    Jonathan_F
    Community Member

Thanks Drew.
    Yes. The keychain has a green circle and tick. So I guess we are on to plan B.
    I have Time Machine backups to about 2 weeks ago, but to be honest my Mac was misbehaving for months and I am worried that getting a corrupted, backed up file might somehow upset the shiny new and functional system I now have. Is this possible?
    Assuming it is safe, then please advise.

Thanks.
    Jonathan.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jonathan_F: Well, if your current vault is corrupt, it won't do you much good; so it's certainly worth a try to restore from an earlier backup!

It's important to note that the green checkmark just indicates that Dropbox is done syncing. Dropbox does not know or care if the data is damaged; its job is to simply get it from one device to another. So if you have a filesystem or disk problem in one place, bad data will be sync'd to others as well.

Restoring just your 1Password data will have no bearing on any other part of your system. After all, it's just a single database which can be deleted if the data is no good. You'll want to recover the following data from your Time Machine Backup:

• ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain (or any other location you might have stored your vault)
    • ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups (grab all of these, in case one or more are damaged)

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• Jonathan_F
    Jonathan_F
    Community Member

Hi Brenty. Thanks.

I had to go all the way back to March 30th, but do now have a keychain I can access.
    Since getting my new SSD, I've not had any FireFox crashes. But on importing the 1password keychan
    from my backup to my SSD firefox crashed. Is that a coincidence? Or could that little file carry something
    to make my FF crash? (This is what was happening before the big crash last week - and hasn't happened since - til just now).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jonathan_F,

I'm glad you were able to find a working backup of your 1Password data! Sounds like it's several months old, but even if it's missing some newer changes, I'm sure it's better than nothing. :)

I don't think importing your data into the 1Password app could cause Firefox to suddenly crash, but let me make sure I understand what you did: It sounds like you found a 1Password.agilekeychain file in your Time Machine backup, copied that to your current system, then used the Dropbox or Folder sync option in 1Password 5 to sync the data from that keychain into your vault. Is that correct? (If not, please let us know.)

If that's how you were able to get your data back, doing that wouldn't have anything to do with Firefox. The only connection between Firefox and 1Password is the 1Password extension (assuming you've installed it). That extension doesn't actually contain any of your 1Password data. Therefore, nothing would have changed in that extension when you restored your data to the main 1Password app. Did Firefox crash at the exact same time as when you restored your data to 1Password? It sounds like a coincidence, but if you experience more crashes in Firefox that seem to be related to 1Password, please let us know. Thanks!

• Jonathan_F
    Jonathan_F
    Community Member

Thanks Drew.
    It seems to have been stable since. It did happen as I double clicked on the keychain image in Time Machine and saved it to my desktop. I then went to the App and directed the 1Password to that new keychain file, so from what you say, we are good. I updated the extension a few days ago before I discovered the corrupted file. So that bit is definitely ok.

I'll get back to you if I need to - but doubt it will be necessary.

Thanks again,
    Jonathan.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, Jonathan! It does sounds like it should all be ok now. Hopefully it all continues to work flawlessly for you, but we're here for you if you run into more issues with 1Password. :)

This discussion has been closed.