iOS 9 issues

Options
zemackdaddy
zemackdaddy
Community Member

I understand I am running a beta operating system and know the risks. I am reporting this in hopes that you can fix the problems before it releases this fall and hopefully I can be a beta tester for you to verify the fixes.

I did a fresh restore of iOS nine beta-1 to my iPhone 6 Plus. I installed all apps from scratch. Your app works fine. If I go to the iPhone's settings, general, reset, erase all settings, and erase all settings, your app no longer loads. I can reinstall and it will work again but the extensions are very buggy and hardly functions at all. The experience ranges anywhere from a very long time to load the extension, to not loading at all, and only one time get it populate a form in Safari.

Everything was fine until I erased all settings. Please note, I did not erase all content.

Comments

• eboychik
    eboychik
    Community Member
    Options

I noticed that in iOS 9 beta 1 that not all images associated with logins show up in app. They are all there on my iPad with iOS 8.3 and on my iMac Mac version of the app, but not all in iOS 9.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'm not sure yet if these are bugs that will be fixed as iOS 9 development progresses, or if they are things we will need to change in 1Password to accommodate changes in iOS 9. We appreciate the fact that you took the time to let us know!

Ben

• zemackdaddy
    zemackdaddy
    Community Member
    Options

I restored to 8.4, then updated to iOS beta 2.
    1Password and its extension worked fine until I used iOS's settings | general | reset all settings.
    1Password continued working until I added fingerprints and a passcode (reset all settings wipes those out).
    Now it will not even load.

If I disable passcode, it loads just fine.

Some food for thought when you are checking to see if you are compatible with iOS 9 since you will probably want to start doing that before September.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zemackdaddy: Indeed. Thanks for the the update! Personally, I'm looking forward to the public beta this month, as that should begin to address some of the biggest issues. Cheers! :)

• zemackdaddy
    zemackdaddy
    Community Member
    Options

iOS 9 Beta 3 seems to have resolved all the issues I was having.

• Jasper
    Options

Great to hear! :)

• TomW28
    TomW28
    Community Member
    Options

Just so you know, there still are some problems with iOS 9 beta 3 using the App Store version of 1Password, at least for me. On my iPhone 5s and iPad Air 2 I am often unable to launch the app, I'm just kicked back to the springboard after 20 seconds. After rebooting the iPhone it now works on that, but even after rebooting the iPad I can only see the launch screen before I'm kicked out. I didn't have any problems on iOS 9 beta 2 for what it's worth.

If the crash logs would be any use to you, let me know and I'll send them over.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! We're definitely continuing to track the development of iOS 9. At this point, if you're willing to enable iOS Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics & Usage > Share With App Developers it can help us prioritize until we need more granular data on specific issues. :)

• jules_jules
    jules_jules
    Community Member
    Options

I know I'd be taking a risk however nothing ventured, nothing gained. Have you guys tried iOS 9 Public Beta and is the "core functionality" working. That is browser extensions and, for me, Dropbox Sync?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@jules_jules immediately below your post there was a thread about 1P and iOS 9 issues. I think it's better we keep all relevant posts in one place so have merged your post with that thread.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jules_jules: I'm back on iOS 8.4 again, because, well...I need a phone that works. 1Password works for the most part, with some extension issues, but primarily Touch ID in iOS 9 was almost completely broken for me everywhere in the OS, so that was a deal breaker (rather than making it harder to unlock or weakening my security).

Your mileage may vary, but I think a good rule of thumb is to not expect anything to work with a beta OS. Using a single beta app is one thing since everything else should work just fine, but if the OS itself isn't ready for prime time and you need it to be, I'd say wait for a late August or September release — or GM. :angry:

• jules_jules
    jules_jules
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @brenty. FWIW I think you're right - I got a little too excited!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jules_jules, on behalf of Brenty, you're very welcome! And don't worry, most of us here get pretty excited about shiny new beta releases too. ;) To add a bit to what Brenty said, if you want to try out a beta OS, it's always best to do that on a test/spare device (if you have one) instead of your main/primary device. That way, if something goes horribly wrong, it's not too big of a deal - and things will still be working just fine on the main device. If you only have one device, you might not want to take the risk of trying a beta OS. But if you do, just make sure you have a full device backup (or two, or three).

We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @brenty. FWIW I think you're right - I got a little too excited!

It happens to the best of us. And then also, me. I've got some pretty high hopes for iOS 9, and it might be a bit too early. :lol: :+1:

• snowcold
    snowcold
    Community Member
    Options

I have a reproducible case with iOS 9.

1. Setup 1Password with multiple vaults, 15 characters alphanumeric passwords
    2. Sync the first vault with iCloud and the second with Dropbox
    3. Install iOS 9 public beta
    4. Go to general and reset all settings. Restart the phone
    5. 1Password fails to open after that

Error:
    Application Specific Information:
    com.agilebits.onepassword-ios failed to scene-create after 19.46s (launch took 0.54s of total time limit 20.00s)

Elapsed total CPU time (seconds): 7.590 (user 7.590, system 0.000), 19% CPU
    Elapsed application CPU time (seconds): 0.298, 1% CPU

• snowcold
    snowcold
    Community Member
    Options

If you need the actual log, please provide an email address sine I do not want to post the debug log in a public forum

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@snowcold: Thanks for sharing that! For the time being, the best thing to do is to enable Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics & Usage > Share with app developers. That will allow us to aggregate data and see what areas require the most attention, but...

1. Go to general and reset all settings. Restart the phone

Wha? Can you walk me through why you're doing this? It seems like wiping app data without removing the app itself would — unsurprisingly — have undesirable consequences. After all, app data is meant to be removed along with the app itself when you uninstall it. Thanks in advance! :)

• snowcold
    snowcold
    Community Member
    Options

Wha? Can you walk me through why you're doing this? It seems like wiping app data without removing the app itself would — unsurprisingly — have undesirable consequences

Not at all true. In this case, the applications will create the data back as if I uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Also, all the other apps are working without any "undesirable consequences"

Anyway, after resetting the phone, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the 1Password app manually. Still no luck

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Not at all true. In this case, the applications will create the data back as if I uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Also, all the other apps are working without any "undesirable consequences"

That is not my experience of iOS apps. If I delete an app I first get a warning that deleting the app will delete all data associated with it. I accept you may have some apps which behave in a different manner but certainly all those I have behave in the way I have described.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @snowcold ,

I think there might be some confusion here. Could you clarify if you were referring to resetting 1Password or using the Settings.app to 'Reset all Settings'? I've done a bit of research and it sounds like the 'Reset all Settings' should apply to only OS settings and not the apps themselves.

It removes all of your preferences for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Do No Disturb, Notifications, General, Sounds, Brightness & Wallpaper and Privacy.

You weren't referring to 'Reset all Content and Settings' were you?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@snowcold: If you delete an iOS app, all of it's data is removed from your device as well (separate from any data you have stored in iCloud or another service, of course). This is just how iOS works. An app has a container which is created when the app is installed, and removed when the app is uninstalled. So if you're wiping out the app data but the app is still installed, the app is still looking for its data.

However, iOS 9 has a new feature (whose name I cannot recall for the life of me) which will delete the apps themselves to free up space for an update, but leaving their containers intact so the apps can simply be reinstalled in place once the update is complete. So it may be there's some interaction with that feature somehow.

If you're indeed simply doing Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings and it's causing problems for 1Password, you'll need to bring that to Apple's attention, as individual apps unfortunately have no control over what the OS does to their data. And of course they shouldn't. But if iOS is wiping app data when it's only supposed to be resetting its own settings, that's certainly a bug that Apple will want to address. After all, that's why Apple allows all of us to participate in the beta process now, so we can give them feedback to prevent issues like this from making it into the final release!

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• snowcold
    snowcold
    Community Member
    Options

@Stephen_C , I am talking about doing General->Reset->Reset All Settings.

@Megan That is true. But it also removes the notification settings and few other things like that.

@brenty

If you're indeed simply doing Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings and it's causing problems for 1Password, you'll need to bring that to Apple's attention, as individual apps unfortunately have no control over what the OS does to their data

I do not think Apple would care about one application not working among millions of other apps. In my experience, all other (100+) apps in my phone had no issues except 1Password. Also, deleting 1Password and reinstalling it later didn't fix the issue as well.

If at all there is an issue with the OS itself, I would assume that it would be your responsibility to sort it out with Apple; provided that others (@zemackdaddy) also reported similar issue in this thread. I will leave it up to you

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you!

I connected my phone to my mac via iTunes, did a restore by erasing all content and data. It wiped my phone clean. Did a new phone setup and installed 1Password and it started working. I can tell you that Safari extension is still very very slow to load

PS: I am sharing the diagnostic information with Apple and Developers

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If at all there is an issue with the OS itself, I would assume that it would be your responsibility to sort it out with Apple; provided that others (@zemackdaddy) also reported similar issue in this thread. I will leave it up to you

@snowcold: It's up to you too! The entire purpose of the public beta is for Apple to get feedback from those using it. And that's what you signed up for, after all! This certainly includes us as well, but the more of us that report these sorts of issues, the more likely Apple is to prioritize them. They are not going to solve an issue simply because one developer reports it, unfortunately (Radar is a wasteland of these). There is a limit to Apple's resources as well, but all of us can help make a difference.

I connected my phone to my mac via iTunes, did a restore by erasing all content and data. It wiped my phone clean. Did a new phone setup and installed 1Password and it started working. I can tell you that Safari extension is still very very slow to load

That's great! I'm glad that worked for you, and I appreciate you updating the thread with this information in case it can help others. I'm about to take another dive into the beta myself (after a horrible initial experience), so I'll be interested in hearing about others' experiences too.

PS: I am sharing the diagnostic information with Apple and Developers

Thanks so much! It really helps both developers like AgileBits, and also Apple. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.