⌘F should select previous search text if present

Options
focusaurus
focusaurus
Community Member

I would like the "Find" keyboard shortcut ⌘f on mac to not just focus the search field, but also to select a previously-entered search term if present. That would enable me to type a new term, replacing the old term without sometimes needing ⌘a to select all.

My use case is search for first item, for example, "vpn". Use ⌘-shift-c to grab the password. Go about my business. Later on need a different password, bring 1Password to the front, ⌘f, now I need ⌘a before I can type my new, unrelated search term.

Obviously minor, but it's been a nuisance for long enough that I decided to file this request.

1Password Version: 1Password 5 Version 5.3.2 (532001) Agile Web Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.10.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @focusaurus,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us!

I wasn't able to reproduce this issue, unfortunately.

It seems to work fine for me... this is what I tried:

• Open the 1Password main app.
    • Enter a search term.
    • Click on one of the Login items found during the search.
    • Use ⇧⌘C to copy the password.
    • Switch away from 1Password.
    • Go back to 1Password, and press ⌘F.
    • The search field is focused, and the previous term is highlighted so I can just type the new term.

Are you doing something a bit differently?

• focusaurus
    focusaurus
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, when I type my first search term, there is only one matching login item, so I can type ⇧⌘C to copy without clicking out of the search box, which would lose focus. I suspect if you do that you'll be able to reproduce the issue.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @focusaurus,

Thanks for clarifying that, I see exactly what you mean! I did some digging and it turns out this is actually intended behavior, and not a bug. However, like you, I'm also used to being able to press ⌘F and have it highlight the current contents of a Search field (not all apps work that way, but it seems most of the apps you and I use do). I can certainly send your feedback about that to our developers, although I can't make any promises about if/when that will be changed.

For now, in case it helps, you can use the ⌥⌘F (Option+Command+F) shortcut in 1Password to highlight all the text in the Search field. That will work regardless of whether that field currently has the focus, so it might be easier than using ⌘A.

If you need anything else, please let us know! :)

ref: OPM-873

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

+1. I'm used to the previous value being re-selected (Firefox, Safari, Mail, Messages, Contacts, Reminders, iTerm, Slack, iTunes, System Preferences, TextWranger, TextEdit, Numbers, Pages, etc.)

Apps that don't: FaceTime, Fantastical

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MrC,

I'll add your vote (and one for myself as well!) We do try to mimic the OS whenever possible, so I could see this being a useful change. :)

This discussion has been closed.