Outlook password is visible when logging in thru 1Password4.

My job has started using Outlook. When I log into Outlook Web Application using 1Password, my password is visible.
When I log in manually, the usual "••••••" that is expected shows up.
This occurs in both Safari and Firefox.
Tech support at the job says it sounds like a conflict between 1Password for Mac and Outlook.
Can you advise?
tks
M.A.

1Password Version: 1Password4
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: OS X 10.9.5
Sync Type: Exchange

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @maconley ,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password right now! Unfortunately, I'm not able to re-create this issue on my end. I've tested with both 1Password 5 in Yosemite, and 1Password 4 in Mavericks, and in both cases the password is concealed as expected. Now, I have been testing on Outlook.com - should I be testing in a different location? (Apologies, I'm a bit unfamiliar with Outlook!)

When you confirm the URL, I'd also love to know what you settings are in Preferences > Browser: is 'Animate form filling' and/or 'Automatically submit logins after filling' selected? Being able to re-create your settings exactly might help us to track this down. :)

• maconley
    maconley
    Community Member

Thanks Megan,
    Hm.. The url I go to is the Outlook Web application and it's specific to the university. https://owa.ggu.edu/
    This apparently is pretty common, as seen in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2897680

I searched for 'troubleshoot OWA on Mac' into Microsoft and there is nothing there and no way to connect with a real person. Since this is only happening when I login in through 1Password4, that seems to be where the catch is, so I don't know if an OWA techie would know what to do unless they know 1Password.

My 1Password4 preferences have both 'Animate form filling' and/or 'Automatically submit logins after filling' selected.

M.A.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @maconley,

This is puzzling. I don't readily have Mavericks, AKA OS X 10.9 on hand to test but I did test 1Password 4 and sadly, like Megan, I couldn't replicate the behaviour. I wish we could as it makes troubleshooting easier if we can begin to understand. Everything I've tried so far with your login page behaves normally.

Can I ask, are you big fan of browser extensions at all and besides 1Password, are there any browser extensions that you use on both Safari and Firefox? It's possibly a bit of a long shot but I'm wondering if one of the is interacting with our extension in some unexpected way.

• maconley
    maconley
    Community Member

Hi back -
    I wouldn't say I'm a "big fan" of browser extensions. Use my computer mostly for business and not play, so I keep things pretty basic. I rarely use Firefox -- just tested this situation on it to see if that same thing happened as on Safari. That said, my preferences show these extensions -- all of which were installed a while ago, so there's nothing new recently):
    1) Evernote Web Clipper (Safari = 6.4) (Firefox = 6.0.15.1 )
    2)AdBlock (Safari = 2.35) and AdBlock Plus (Firefox = 2.6.9.1)
    3)Social Fixer (Safari = 8.0) (Firefox = 9.0)
    4)1Password (both = 4.3.1)
    5) Clearly (Firefox only = 10.2.1.7.1)
    6) SeoQuake (Firefox only = 2.8.15.1
    7) Installl Converter Community Toolbar (Firefox only = 3.21.0.1)
    tks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @maconley,

I'd agree, it isn't like you have a massive number of extensions that might be having an influence, especially given three of them are Firefox only.

Let's try the following, at the very least it will eliminate it as a possibility. Does temporarily disabling all of your Safari extensions except the 1Password extension make any difference?

It's all very puzzling no matter what.

• maconley
    maconley
    Community Member

No impact (In Safari I unchecked the box next to Enable [extension name] by each one and logged into to Outlook Web App; in Firefox I disabled each extension in the Add-On List).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @maconley,

I'm sorry it took us a bit longer than usual to get back to you about this! I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your discussion to our "Saving and Filling in Browsers" forum.

Like Megan and littlebobbytables, I've also been trying to reproduce this problem, but so far I haven't been able to - it fills as expected for me on https://owa.ggu.edu/ (I only see black dots in the password field).

Is there any chance you could have a test account set up so you can create a Login item with the test info, and take a screenshot of what happens when 1Password fills the test username/password on that site? If we can see exactly what you're seeing, hopefully that will help us figure out what's going on.

To include a screenshot in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks in advance!

• maconley
    maconley
    Community Member

Drew, when you say "test account" do you mean a test account in Outlook or in 1Password? If the former, I don't have administrative privileges at my job to create accounts, but could ask my connection in IT if she's open to working with you. They don't provide support for Macs so she wasn't able to help and might be interested in figuring this out should it happen for other employees, but I'd have to ask. I guess I could look into creating my own account in Outlook, though I'd have to investigate that. If you mean a test account in 1Password, is there like a 30-day trial thing that I could set up for us to test this? tks! M.A.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@maconley: Indeed. If it were possible to create a "fake" but usable login, that would allow you to show us more without exposing any private information. Of course that wold require someone with administrative access to set it up. But it certainly isn't the only option!

The other (similar, perhaps better) option, is to create a fake login item in 1Password and show us the results with that, so as to avoid exposing you actual login credentials.

Another factor here may be specific to the combination of OS and browser versions you have. Safari will be older (along with OS X), and I know that Firefox has had some strange issues on the Mac in the past as well.

Anecdotally, I've used Outlook web extensively on a number of OSes myself and haven't encountered this issue. But significantly, while the browser extensions are the same between 1Password 4 and 5, the 'brains' when it comes to filling is in the main 1Password app; so with 1Password 4 on Mavericks you won't have the benefit of improvements we've made in 1Password 5 on Yosemite.

Worst-case scenario, you can always copy and paste (either from the browser extension or the main 1Password app), since it seems that isn't resulting in the password being shown. But I do have one question (and then you can also let us know your results using a fake login item): Are you using 1Password purchased from the AgileBits website, or from the Mac App Store? (My guess is the latter).

Please let m know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• maconley
    maconley
    Community Member

waiting to hear if IT can set up a dummy account. we're going through a move here so everyone is a bit swamped, and I was away at a week-long conference. thanks for your patience.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@maconley: No worries! I hope the conference was productive (but not too productive ;)) and that the move goes smoothly. We'll be here to help whenever things have settled down for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.