Use same password, but different username format

I have two web sites (Aeroplan and Air Canada) that use the same account number and password. (I.e., they have one user database. I did not select the same user name and passwords for both.) Unfortunately Aeroplan, has a totally messed up way of entering the account number, which puts it into 3 separate fields: "123", "456", "789". Air Canada, on the other hand wants the account number entered in as "123456789."

Is there a way that I can use one 1Password item to hold information for both? This would save me from having to update two items whenever I change the password.

(Maybe flag some webform fields to submit with one URL, other fields to submit with another URL, and password to submit with both?)

1Password Version: 4.6.0.583
Extension Version: chrome 4.4.1.90
OS Version: windows 7-64
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @esilver,

Unfortunately, given how the entire filling logic works there isn't a way to combine these two that I'm aware of, even if they're authenticating against a single database.

The reason why is one of our key filling strategies is to use the web form details and fill the fields recorded there. No as a safety net for a couple of different reasons, for the web form details to be used the 'fingerprint' those fields represent has to match the page loaded perfectly otherwise we revert to our educated guessing of how the username and password should be entered. In the future we may find a way of being more lenient here but at the moment I can't see a way of accommodating to very distinct styles. It's a pity because this is exactly the sort of situation we allowed multiple website fields for.

For the moment the best way forward would be two individual Login items, one per site and either the use of a tag or a note in the Notes field to remind you that it is linked with another. I'm sorry I couldn't think of something better to suggest.

• esilver
    esilver
    Community Member

Thanks, that's what I expected, but I thought I'd check.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of littlebobbytables, you're very welcome! (Although I'm sorry it wasn't the answer you'd hoped for.)

We're always happy to help, so if you ever need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.