How do I restore 1Password 3.9.6 from Time Machine?

jfeuer309
jfeuer309
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

My macbook is in the shop but I have an older one I'm using temporarily. I got 1Password to run on the oldermachine and I'd like to get the password file restored from a Time Machine backup. How do I do this?

1Password Version: 3.9.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mountain Lion
Sync Type: no sync; Time Machine restore
KB Article: backup-faq

Comments

• jfeuer309
    jfeuer309
    Community Member

My regular Macbook no longer works but I have another Macbook I'm using until the regular one is repaired. Fortunately the regular Macbook was fully backed up onto Time Machine before it died.

I've got 1Password working on the new Macbook but I need to transfer the the file with my passwords from the TimeMachine backup. What is the name of this file and where is it?

1Password Version: Version 3.9.6 (39600.038)
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: mountain lion 10.8.5
    Sync Type: no sync

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@jfeuer I have moved your similar post from the Knowledgebase Feedback forum to this forum and merged it with your existing post here. It will make it easier for you to find the replies to your questions if you don't post the same question in two places. I've also slightly amended the heading of the thread to include your 1P version number which will help others to help you.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jfeuer309,

I hope you don't mind, but I've moved this thread to our 1Password 3 for Mac forum since you're using version 3.

You said you're using 1Password version 3.9.6 on your older MacBook. It sounds like that's the Mac App Store version of 1Password 3. Were you using that same exact version on your regular MacBook? If so, the default location for your data file should have been here:

~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/1Password.agilekeychain

That location could have been changed, so if you aren't able to find it there in Time Machine, try looking for your 1Password backup files here:

~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx/Data/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups/

Are you able to find your data file or backups? Please let us know how it goes.

• jfeuer309
    jfeuer309
    Community Member

Thank you Drew and Steven. I found the Library directory but there is no Containers folder within it. Why would my Time Machine backup have no Containers folder? I checked several backups and none of them have that subfolder.

Could the 1Password files be somewhere else?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jfeuer309: Were you maybe using the AgileBits Store version (3.8) of 1Password rather than the Mac App Store version (3.9)? Only Mac App Store apps have containers. Try ~/Library/Application Support/1Password. :)

• jfeuer309
    jfeuer309
    Community Member

Thanks brenty but no luck. There is no folder named ~/Library/Application Support/1Password either. I'm really stuck. Maybe I don't know what "~" stands for?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jfeuer309: Sorry for the confusion! ~/ is shorthand for the current user's home folder (since I have no way of knowing what it's actually named).

OS X understand this, so if you go to Finder on your Mac currently and choose Go > Go to Folder, you can just paste ~/Library/Application Support/ to open this hidden folder. OS X will understand that ~/ means your home folder. For instance, if I Go to ~/Library/Application Support/, I end up in /users/brenty/Library/Application Support/.

If you're using Time Machine directly, that may get you there, but if you're manually searching your Time Machine backup on an external drive, you probably won't be able to use the shorthand. So I'm sorry if I confused things for you there!

Instead, you'll just need to open the root of your Time Machine Backup / and then navigate manually to /users/, your home folder (whatever it is named), and then finally Library and Application Support to find the 1Password folder therein. I hope this helps! :)

• jfeuer309
    jfeuer309
    Community Member

Thank you Brenty. I found another backup -- on Carbonite that had the path that Drew suggested first. I restored that file and pointed to it when I logged in and got success. This process was time consuming and difficult. Should I need help again, is there a paid support option that is more customized, personalized, and faster?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jfeuer309: Excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm glad you were able to find data in a backup. :chuffed:

We are a small team, so we don't have different classes of support; we offer the same help to all of our customers. We try to respond to everyone on a first-come, first-served basis, and I am sorry if you had to wait longer than you'd hoped. :(

But ultimately while we're happy to help in any way we can, when we're talking about digging files out of a backup drive or service, that's really the domain of data recovery. After all, AgileBits isn't a backup and recovery company. If you're comfortable doing it yourself (as you seem to be!) we're here to walk you through it, and you won't have to pay a cent; but there are always dedicated general- and special-purpose technical support services out there as well, should you need someone to do the digging for you. Cheers! :)

• jfeuer309
    jfeuer309
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty.

When I restored 1Password.agilekeychain onto my new laptop I placed it on the desktop and then copied it over to ~Library/containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/1password.agilekeychain. However when I launched 1Password and it asked me to find the file I could not see it in the ~Library folder (because it is a hidden folder). Therefore I pointed 1Password to the file on my desktop. Now the program seems to work fine.

Question: Which 1Password.agilekeychain is the "real" one: the one on my desktop or the one in ~Library/containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/? I'd like to know which file to grab when this happens again.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jfeuer309,

If you have pointed 1Password 3 to the 1Password.agilekeychain on your Desktop that that would be the real one as that is the location 1Password 3 will read and more importantly, write all changes and additions to.

I can't remember when Apple made the call to hide the Library folder but there are a couple of ways round that. One is to use the Go to the Folder option in Finder (the keyboard shortcut is ⇧⌘G) and paste in ~/Library. That function doesn't care if the folder is hidden or not but that's more an ad-hoc solution.

If you're a power user and are lamenting the loss of easy access then this link may be of interest, How to Always Show the User Library Folder in OS X Yosemite the Easy Way.

Does that help?

This discussion has been closed.