2»

Comments

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

Hello @Drew_AG
    I am using Safari 8.0.6.
    For some reason when I tried to click on the download you suggested that extension would not install i.e. the installation procedure did not appear as I normally expect it to
    Would using a different browser such as Chrome help?

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member

well that's seem to have done the trick.Safari would not allow me to install the extension but Chrome did and now the Login function works fine :) .Presumably all I need to remember now is the password which I enter on the second login page ? Thanks for all your patience and help

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@donmaico: Ah, excellent! Thanks for the update. Your previous message still is a bit concerning, so you may want to investigate why Safari isn't able to install the extension directly. But I'm glad it's working at least!

In regard to the login, it sounds like it's split across multiple pages. In that case, follow this guide:

Using 1Password with multi-page logins

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions! :)

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

@brenty
    thanks for the comment . .I have never encountered a situation where safari did not install an extension .Maybe i should ask the Apple discussions group as to why that may be the case
    The multi -page logins option did not work for me before although it may for other similar sites, now I have the extension installed
    :)

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member

correction _ I have never previously encountered a situation where safari did not install an extension.Why it should have happened this time i don't know ,but maybe I could ask Apple discussions

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @donmaico,

The only time I've had real troubles with extensions is if I'm trying to install an older version for testing purposes after having just removed a newer one. I find Safari gets a little bent out of shape and I have to uninstall the old one, restart Safari and then install. Still, that doesn't sound like what you've experienced. If you haven't recently it can often be worth trying a reboot of the Mac as there are occasions where it purges a number of gremlins. If you can explain in as much detail as you can about how it diverged from the expected behaviour we might be able to offer a suggestion.

Now you mentioned having to remember a password which I'm guessing is one of these supply X, Y & Z characters from your password? It's true, we haven't found an elegant and most importantly robust way we can fill these in because the characters requested will change and the banks have no interest or value in making the form easy for an application to understand.

At the moment the best option we have available are a couple of user generated ideas which you can find here. I use these myself as Verified by Visa or MasterCards 3D Secure as well as my own bank, the RBS, all do this random selection of characters.

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

hi@littlebobbytables
    all I can say is that clicking the download did not start the installation process,i.e. nothing happened.
    The password is one i created myself and is an Argentine spanish colloquialism . There are no x,y or z characters in it. I have tried saving it on the second login page by clicking the "update existing login" option but that did not work, so for the moment it seems I need to key the password manually each time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

correction _ I have never previously encountered a situation where safari did not install an extension.Why it should have happened this time i don't know ,but maybe I could ask Apple discussions

@donmaico: Regarding the extension issue, it's definitely worth looking into...especially if the problem persists. I know I've encountered similar issues in the past when Safari's extension database was corrupt. If it's driving you nuts (as it would me), you can just clear it out:

1. Open a Finder window and use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G to open a Go to the folder window.
    2. Use the following location: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.Extensions.plist and click the Go button.
    3. Drag the highlighted file to your Trash.
    4. Launch Keychain Access which you can find in /Applications/Utilities/ or using a Spotlight search.
    5. Search for safari and right-click on Safari Extensions List and select the Delete "Safari Extensions List" option.
    6. In Finder go to the following folder (using the same method as detailed in step 1) to go to ~/Library/Safari/
    7. Drag the entire Extensions folder to your Trash
    8. Then restart you Mac and Safari, which will recreate the folder and hopefully that sorts out the permissions issue

If you're still having trouble, this discussion in Apple's forums might help, or contact Apple directly for assistance. Cheers! :)

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

Hi@brenty
    Ok I have done that,thanks.One thing i have noticed is that things can get a bit slow especially Safari , and some apps ,such as Tinker tool . When i try to force quit them show up as not responding in red.Tinker tool,Safari, Chrome ,Finder Realplayer,Spotify and Thunderbird all appear automatically when I log on so i find myself force quitting most of them so that Safari can work better.Maybe I should ask that in apple discussions as its not exactly relevant to this discussion

by the way the 1Password icon on my menu has disappeared so presumably i need reinstall using the beta option?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

by the way the 1Password icon on my menu has disappeared so presumably i need reinstall using the beta option?

@donmaico: The 1Password menu bar icon is missing? Not the browser icon? I'd bet that if 1Password mini is missing, simply restarting your Mac will bring it back. If not, you may need to install a fresh copy of 1Password from our website. Just be sure that you don't have multiple copies of 1Password hanging around, because that can result in OS X launching the wrong one sometimes and causing some headaches. Please let me know what you find!

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

I had restarted it but no sign of it on the browser so I reinstalled it using the beta option.I think I may well have multiple 1Passwords hanging about as i keep getting pop telling me so when I opened the ap.How do i remove them? I just removed the download and see there is only one 1Password5 in the application folder so surely that should suffice.I think it has because I just clicked on Mini !Password and the pop up did not appear

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @donmaico,

Sounds like you've already looked for and removed any extra copies of 1Password from your Downloads and Applications folders, as suggested in this article:

How to remove multiple, conflicting copies of 1Password from your system

It also mentions checking Backup drives.

Another thing you can do is search for stray copies for removal:

• In Finder, press ⌘F to open a search window
    • Enter 1Password in the search box
    • Select This Mac as the search scope
    • Select Kind is Application in the menu

Here's an image example of the results:

If any questionable files show up you can select them, then press ⌘I to open Info windows and find their locations:

Back in the search window, pressing ⌘⌫ (Command-Delete) will move any selected files to Trash.

That's the basic gist of it. Things might look a bit different depending on how Finder is configured. If you do that and have any questions, taking a screenshot of the part of the screen with the results (like in my image above) and posting that might be easier than explaining them.

Or you may prefer to do nothing unless the warning about the system launching an incorrect version of 1Password mini appears again. And in that cases it'll tell you where it is. :)

I hope this helps!

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

Hi @sjk
    thanks for the reply.The only file that came up in the search was - 1Password application yesterday 10:46.
    Cmd I gives me pretty much what you got on that single file. Should i trash that ?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @donmaico,

Cmd I gives me pretty much what you got on that single file. Should i trash that ?

Do you mean the only copy of the 1Password app you found was in the Macintosh HD/Applications/ folder? If so, leave it there - that's the correct location for the 1Password app, so you don't want to trash it.

The only file that came up in the search was - 1Password application yesterday 10:46.

If it only found one copy of the 1Password app, but you're still getting an error message when you try to open it, try restarting your Mac again. After the restart, do you get the same error message?

If you still get the same error after restarting your Mac, and you only have one copy of the 1Password app (in the Applications folder), please take a screenshot of that error. To include the screenshot in your reply, click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

If you can post the error, we should have a better understanding of what's happening and how to fix it. Thanks!

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG
    so far so good I am not getting any further error messages but I will save this thread should I need to go back to it.Thanks for all the help from everyone its very much appreciated .I will most likely buy this programme

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@donmaico: Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Drew_AG and sjk, you are most welcome! I'm glad that helped.

It sounds like OS X was hanging onto another copy in memory still, but restarting sorted that. You should be all set, but as you say, we'll be here if you need to come back for any further issues or questions. Cheers! :)

• donmaico
    donmaico
    Community Member

:)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:sunglasses:

This discussion has been closed.