Login work in Safari, not Chrome

Comments

• rnb2
    rnb2
    Community Member
    I'm in the trial phase with Squarespace.com, and have saved my login in 1Password for Mac. The login works properly in Safari, but I've been editing my page in Chrome (due to how I have my two screens arranged), and the login doesn't work in Chrome (v8.0.552.224) for some reason. The 1Password interface opens properly, and when I click on the login, it seems to fill in, but it then just pops back to Squarespace's web page instead of into my site. Everything works properly in Safari.

Rick
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    Welcome to the forums, John!

Unfortunately, the Media Temple's "AccountCenter Login" does not fill properly, just as you found. I tried several workarounds and none of them worked in Chrome. We'll try to improve the experience on this web site as we make improvements in future updates to the extension. I'm sorry it's not better news right now, but thanks for the report!
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    rnb2 wrote:

I'm in the trial phase with Squarespace.com, and have saved my login in 1Password for Mac. The login works properly in Safari, but I've been editing my page in Chrome (due to how I have my two screens arranged), and the login doesn't work in Chrome (v8.0.552.224) for some reason. The 1Password interface opens properly, and when I click on the login, it seems to fill in, but it then just pops back to Squarespace's web page instead of into my site. Everything works properly in Safari.

Rick

Please try saving the login manually from Safari like this:

1. Enter your username and password, but DO NOT submit the form.
    2. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and choose Save Login.
    3. Set the Action field to Create New Login (or to Replace <login-name>, to update an existing Login item).
    4. Click the Save button.

Some web forms just do not like to be bypassed without an actual key being pressed or are confused when more than one web form is on the same page.

If saving the Logins item again still doesn't work for you within Chrome I would suggest that you edit the saved Logins item to have a Submit value of "Never". That way the fields will be filled in and you control the behavior by clicking the appropriate action button ("sign in", Login, ...).
  • SawbonzDO
    SawbonzDO
    Community Member
    The SunTrust Business site is not working for me in Chrome on a Mac: https://www.suntrust.com/portal/server.pt?space=Redirect&CommunityID=1616&ui_ReasonCode=0

SunTrust Personal site works. I can make SunTrust Business work if autosubmit is set to never and I manually submit, but re-saving the login in Safari does nothing.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    We are working on improving the autosubmit feature in the Chrome extension, but as long as the fields are getting filled in on the SunTrust site(s), we are on the same page at least. :-)

Some sites will require autosubmit to be disabled in all browsers, but there are a number of them which will only require it to be disabled when filling in Chrome. Since the Chrome extension is a from-the-ground-up rewrite, there are still some growing pains. Thanks for reporting these URLs to us since it makes short work of testing future updates!
  • chad.nicely
    edited December 2010
    Just to add a data point ... having the same issue with my.rackspace.com, when using the google chrome plugin (3.5.3.30811):

&lt;h3&gt;Welcome to MyRackspace&lt;/h3&gt; 
    &lt;dl&gt; 
        &lt;dt&gt;&lt;label for="account"&gt;Rackspace Account Number&lt;/label&gt;&lt;/dt&gt; 
        &lt;dd&gt;&lt;input type="text" name="account" value="my_username" id="account" class="full" /&gt;&lt;/dd&gt; 
        &lt;dt&gt;&lt;label for="username"&gt;Username&lt;/label&gt;&lt;/dt&gt; 
        &lt;dd&gt;&lt;input type="text" name="username" value="my_username" id="username" class="full" autocapitalize="off" autocorrect="off" /&gt;&lt;/dd&gt; 
        &lt;dt&gt;&lt;label for="password"&gt;Password&lt;/label&gt;&lt;/dt&gt; 
        &lt;dd&gt;&lt;input type="password" name="password" value="" id="password" class="full" /&gt;&lt;/dd&gt; 
    &lt;/dl&gt;

My 1Password entry contains the following attributes:
    • account
    • username
    • password

But, when I attempt to fill the login, the username attribute populates both 'account' and 'username' fields. Not sure what's going into the password field.

Works on FF and Safari.

Thanks!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2010
    Welcome to the forums, Chad! Please try re-saving the login manually in Safari as described above (since manual save is not yet supported in the Chrome extension).
  • Sharkez
    Sharkez
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Welcome to the forums, Chad! Please try re-saving the login manually in Safari as described above (since manual save is not yet supported in the Chrome extension).

Just started using Chrome (Mac-Latest SN OS) and 1Password function will define if I can stay on the new browser (using Version 3.5.3 (build 30812)). I have had the same issues noted here. A number of the financial web sites (and some others) that I use don't seem to allow the log in to "take". For example the AMEX site and the Schwab site; but also the Hautelook site and others.

I've followed @khad's advice to save over the login in safari and also disable auto-login and that DOES seem to work for all the sites I've had problems with. Of note, saving over a log in throws away the notes you had with the original 1Password entry (any way we could be prompted to keep or add new notes as an addendum?)

So for now, the disabling auto login and re-saving in safari work for me.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the update, Sharkez, and welcome to the forums! I'm glad to know that some of my tips have been helpful to you. I see you have returned the favor. :-) I have passed along your excellent suggestion to retain notes when replacing a login. That is how it should work in my opinion as well. We actually had a pretty good discussion a couple of days ago about updating/replacing/creating new logins. I have added your suggestion regarding notes to our — notes.

Cheers!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I just wanted to follow up and let everyone know that Media Temple logins should now be working well in the latest 1Password Chrome extension update (3.5.4.30854).
  • Michael Paul
    Michael Paul
    Community Member
    An open letter to Agile Support:

I've been hearing a lot of "I'm sorry" and "I wish we had a better answer right now" and "try doing it manually" and "some websites use javascript 'tricks'" and other such things. That's not what I paid money for. I'd like to start hearing things like, "We've got a plan, we're working on it, and our plan is a re-write from the ground up, should take about X months but it'll allow us to better handle changes to websites and allow the extension to perform just as well as Safari. Thanks for waiting."

This product is not in beta anymore, but it still feels like it is. As such, I ask that you either throw the beta tag back on it, or have a serious planning session where you figure out what's wrong, what it's going to take to fix it, and get on the ball. It's gotten to the point where most websites I use simply don't work with the cmd+\ shortcut (autofill works, but the form is somehow submitted before the passwords are filled, and I am dropped off at the same login page... or sometimes thrown to an error page.

It happens with my bank, it happens with my health providers, it happens at logmein.com, it happens with countless other websites. The extension is absolutely worthless right now for me, and I know I'm not the only one who's considered giving LastPass a try because we love Chrome so much. Strange thing is, these problems do not plague Safari... so would someone please explain how javascript can 'trick' Chrome, but not Safari?

No wait, don't explain. Instead, I ask that you take the time to sit down and figure out what the problem is, scope out how long it's going to take to rewrite the extension, inform your PAYING customer base, and DO IT.

No more excuses, no more workarounds, no more "I'm sorry", no more blaming other websites for these shortcomings. We can send a man to the moon with the computing power of a modern calculator--surely we can create a Chrome extension that does everything the Safari extension does.

Just do it.

:-)

Sincerely,

Mike

P.S., Not looking for a reply of any kind here--everything that can be said about this subject has already been addressed here on the forums as I search around for people having problems with autosubmit. Just looking for a fix. It will take time. I'm prepared to wait. Just do it right. Thanks for listening.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2011
    Welcome to the forums, Michael! I know you said you didn't need a response, but I shared your post with the rest of the team as a motivator and just wanted to make sure you knew that.
  • Michael Paul
    Michael Paul
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Welcome to the forums, Michael! I know you said you didn't need a response, but I shared your post with the rest of the team as a motivator and just wanted to make sure you knew that.

Thanks, appreciate that. Hope you guys have a great weekend. Love the product, love the interface, just wishing Chrome support matched the rest of the suite. :)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    We're working our butts off. We really do appreciate the feedback, though. It helps us keep it up!

By the way, what's a weekend? :-P
  • Sebastian Rasch
    Sebastian Rasch
    Community Member
    edited March 2011
    It's gotten to the point where most websites I use simply don't work with the cmd+\ shortcut (autofill works, but the form is somehow submitted before the passwords are filled, and I am dropped off at the same login page... or sometimes thrown to an error page.

It happens with my bank, it happens with my health providers, it happens at logmein.com, it happens with countless other websites. The extension is absolutely worthless right now for me, and I know I'm not the only one who's considered giving LastPass a try because we love Chrome so much. Strange thing is, these problems do not plague Safari...

Yep, same problem here. Forms are filled in correctly in both, Safari and Chrome, but it works only in Safari. In Chrome, it just jumps back to an empty form as if nothing was ever entered. I don't even get a notification that a field was missing or the password or whatever was wrong, it's just empty again and I'm not logged in. Very disappointing and confusing.

I hope you fix this until my test period runs out because I really like this program and actually planned to buy it, but of course I want to have a working product if I'm going to pay for it.
  • Google normally does not restrict any addon app or checks it for malware (see "Android").

I also beleive that it can be no "wonder" to make "1Password" running on "Chrome". But I am only "User"....

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2011
    Welcome to the forums, Sebastian.

Could you please provide the URL? Unfortunately, we can only resolve problems where we know they exist. :S

Please let me know. I would love to help you out. :-)

Thanks!
  • Sebastian Rasch
    Sebastian Rasch
    Community Member
    edited March 2011
    khad wrote:

Welcome to the forums, Sebastian.

Could you please provide the URL? Unfortunately, we can only resolve problems where we know they exist. :S

Please let me know. I would love to help you out. :-)

Thanks!

For now, it's my bank:

https://bankingportal.sparkasse-ka.de/portal/portal/StartenIPSTANDARD

And my pay slips:

https://www.login2my.info/ps/Security/SignIn.aspx

On this site, even in Safari the automatic login doesn't work. It just fills the form in correctly but doesn't enter the site. i have to click "Login" myself, then it works.

If I'm going to find more, I'll tell you.

Thanks

Sebastian
  • Sebastian Rasch
    Sebastian Rasch
    Community Member
    stu wrote:

Unfortunately, you're not the first user to tell us about problems with Sparkasse and 1Password. I'm going to be up front here and say that there's currently nothing we can do about this, because of the way Sparkasse have chosen to code their site.

The way 1Password identifies the fields to fill is by using the unique field names for each field in the login form, as specified in the code. The problem is that Sparkasse randomly change the field names associated with the login fields on each visit to the site, meaning that you may get a working 1Password login for one visit to the site, when you first save it, but returning to the site will mean that the field names are different and 1Password won't recognise them.

But 1Password fills in the form correctly, I don't understand why the site is not accepting the data provided? When I copy & paste them, it is working alright.
  • Sebastian Rasch
    Sebastian Rasch
    Community Member
    edited March 2011
    stu wrote:
    For now, I would suggest that you edit the saved Logins item to have a Submit value of "Never". That way the fields will be filled in and you control the behaviour by clicking the appropriate action button ("sign in", Login, ...).

The problem is, that this is not working either. I have to copy & paste the login items from an external source (e.g. from the 1Password main program) or type it in myself so that the site is accepting it. When I let 1Password fill in the login form and then press manually "login" or whatever, it wouldn't accept it, it jumps back to an empty form.
    You can test this with an random login item. Normally, the site would tell you that your login is wrong or not existiing. Not with 1Password, it doesn't matter what 1Password is filling in the form, after I press "Anmelden", it jumps to an empty form without error message.
  • Sebastian Rasch
    Sebastian Rasch
    Community Member
    edited March 2011
    stu wrote:
    If you then click 'Save' on the Login item you should find this will fill your details correctly on the Sparkasse site but won't submit them, then pressing the "Anmelden" buttons should log you in as if you'd copied and pasted the details.

Ah that's exactly what I tried to explain you previously, that's not working! It fills in the forms correctly. It always was set to never submit automatically. Wenn I press "Anmelden" (login) on the site then, it jumps to an empty field. I told you, it doesn't matter what 1Password fills in, it's never accepted. You don't need an account to test this, create an item with random username and password and let 1Password fill in the form. Then press login and you will see, that there's no error message but an empty form again.
    Then try to fill in random values on the site directly and you will see that an error message appears that says that there's no account by that name.
    But when you copy & paste username and password into the form of the site manually (ctrl + c/v), it works. That last part you can't test though because you apparently don't have an account there.
    That's what I don't understand. The site doesn't accept the login items even that they're correct and even that I press the login button myself manually.
  • Bank of America no longer works properly with the updated Chrome extension. In Safari (and with the older Chrome extension that popped up the login window), I have my username saved on the B of A homepage, click "sign in," and then the password page appears. In Safari and previously Chrome, hitting Command + \ automatically logged me in. In the updated Chrome extension, it enters my password, but I must click "Sign In," which reminds me why I prefer 1Password to LastPass (as this is the standard LastPass behavior).

Any help or suggestions? Thank you.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Then press login and you will see, that there's no error message but an empty form again.
    Then try to fill in random values on the site directly and you will see that an error message appears that says that there's no account by that name.

Sebastian, I am getting the same results. I have passed this along to our developers to see what we can do on such a site.

djshack, it does appear that autosubmit is not working on the "passcode" page of Bank of America's login process. I have also passed this along to our developers.

Thank you both for the heads up! We really appreciate the feedback.
  • imt
    imt
    Community Member
    I am also having an issue with a site via Chrome. Works in Safari on the Mac but not chrome on Mac or Windows. The website is the following:

https://www.treasury.pncbank.com/portal/esec/changePassword.ht

The 1st two fields for Company User ID & Operator ID do not get filled in via chrome but I know they are set properly cause it works via safari.
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    imt wrote:
    I am also having an issue with a site via Chrome. Works in Safari on the Mac but not chrome on Mac or Windows. The website is the following:

https://www.treasury.pncbank.com/portal/esec/changePassword.ht

The 1st two fields for Company User ID & Operator ID do not get filled in via chrome but I know they are set properly cause it works via safari.

Please try this:

1. In Safari, enter the company ID, the operator ID, the password and the token passcode.
    2. Click 1P > Save Login to create a new login item for this site (or overwrite the existing one).
    3. Now, switch to Chrome and visit the site. You shouldn't have any trouble filling the login form in Chrome now.

I just tested this using Safari 5.0.4 and Chrome 10.0.648.134, Mac OS 10.6.6. Hope it helps!
  • imt
    imt
    Community Member
    justG wrote:

Please try this:

1. In Safari, enter the company ID, the operator ID, the password and the token passcode.
    2. Click 1P > Save Login to create a new login item for this site (or overwrite the existing one).
    3. Now, switch to Chrome and visit the site. You shouldn't have any trouble filling the login form in Chrome now.

I just tested this using Safari 5.0.4 and Chrome 10.0.648.134, Mac OS 10.6.6. Hope it helps!

Ok this worked.

Now the question is why? The field names and values I entered are the same as what was replaced when I resaved the login via safari. I see the filed order was different and maybe that is the key. Trying to find out why it now works after saving via Safari and then used via Chrome vs. Just saving via Chrome and editing the field names. Curious if this would have also worked if I resaved the login via IE on Windows, since I use this across both platforms.
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    imt wrote:

Ok this worked.

Now the question is why? The field names and values I entered are the same as what was replaced when I resaved the login via safari. I see the filed order was different and maybe that is the key. Trying to find out why it now works after saving via Safari and then used via Chrome vs. Just saving via Chrome and editing the field names. Curious if this would have also worked if I resaved the login via IE on Windows, since I use this across both platforms.

This is interesting. Could you please do us a great favor so we can see what is happening if you can reproduce it? First, try saving a new login with some dummy credentials for this in Chrome using autosave and then edit the field names again like you did before. Then, export that entry to 1Password Interchange format. Then, manually save a login in Safari like you did and export that login as 1Password Interchange as well. That will allow us to see what differences there might be in the data that 1Password saves that you can't see in the main interface but that might affect login filling. Thanks in advance!
  • imt
    imt
    Community Member
    Jamie wrote:

This is interesting. Could you please do us a great favor so we can see what is happening if you can reproduce it? First, try saving a new login with some dummy credentials for this in Chrome using autosave and then edit the field names again like you did before. Then, export that entry to 1Password Interchange format. Then, manually save a login in Safari like you did and export that login as 1Password Interchange as well. That will allow us to see what differences there might be in the data that 1Password saves that you can't see in the main interface but that might affect login filling. Thanks in advance!

I will try this and do the steps I did when I first created the login. This was done on my windows machine using Chrome.

I do have some questions. You say to export the the login as 1password Interchange. Under 1password for Windows, when you select Export the only option is "Delimited Text". Also, how do I export these without passing along my "password" :). I may be able to login as the administrator and create a new account that has no real access so you can test it out at least. Or do you want me to change the password info so you can just see the file structure. Assuming that re-doing this gives me the same results.
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    imt wrote:

I will try this and do the steps I did when I first created the login. This was done on my windows machine using Chrome.

I do have some questions. You say to export the the login as 1password Interchange. Under 1password for Windows, when you select Export the only option is "Delimited Text". Also, how do I export these without passing along my "password" :). I may be able to login as the administrator and create a new account that has no real access so you can test it out at least. Or do you want me to change the password info so you can just see the file structure. Assuming that re-doing this gives me the same results.

Woops! I did not realize this was on Windows. 1Password Interchange export is only available on the Mac at this time. We just need to see the file structure, so there's no need to include your real password. Since you mentioned this happend on Windows, I'd be curious if anyone could reproduce it on Mac. It's possible we have a slight variance in the saving between the two platforms that would be helpful to track down.
  • imt
    imt
    Community Member
    Jamie wrote:

Woops! I did not realize this was on Windows. 1Password Interchange export is only available on the Mac at this time. We just need to see the file structure, so there's no need to include your real password. Since you mentioned this happend on Windows, I'd be curious if anyone could reproduce it on Mac. It's possible we have a slight variance in the saving between the two platforms that would be helpful to track down.

No problem. I'll do it on both. I use the PC at work and the mac's at home. Sync via dropbox. I can access home via logmein so I can make a change do the export and then make other changes. I was thinking of doing the following (Unless you tell me its overkill:

1) Create the initial login in Chrome (on Windows): Export Interchange file via the Mac.
    2) Edit the password to add the missing fields for operator and company ID: Export Via The Mac (Assuming that this does not work correctly this time).
    3) Create the login via IE and save it as a new login." Export via the Mac.

See if the IE login works.

I then can do the same thing on the mac side via Safari and chrome as well to see if the behavior is the same or different. I believe it is the same since I tried to login via the Mac on Chrome and had the same result, although it was initially created under windows so that could be the issue.
This discussion has been closed.