Folder sync issue

Options
Arun H
Arun H
Community Member

Hi, I accidentally tried folder sync with a network drive. Once that drive went offline, I can no longer change it to a local drive and I keep getting error messages saying that the drive cannot be found. How do I reset folder sync?

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: Folder

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Arun H,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with that! Using Folder sync to sync directly to a network drive can be problematic because 1Password gets upset when it encounters latency or other network issues when it's trying to read/write to a sync folder.

What you'll want to do first (if possible) is disable Folder sync by following these steps:

• Open 1Password (enter your master password if prompted).
    • Go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences, then choose the Sync tab.
    • Choose None from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu.
    • Click the Disable Sync button.

From your description, I'm not sure if you're able to do that or not. If not, there's a workaround:

• Open 1Password and go to File > Backup from the menu.
    • In the Backup preferences window, select the backup you just created and click the Restore button (follow the steps to complete the restore).
    • After the restore, open & unlock 1Password and go back to Preferences > Sync to confirm it is set to None.

If you still want to use Folder sync with a network drive, you can do that - but you'll need to configure Folder sync to point to a local folder on your Mac, and then use a tool such as rsync (or another file copy tool) to copy the contents of the folder to/from the network drive. You can find some more information about that in our Folder sync guide.

Does that help? Please let us know how it goes and if you have more questions about that. Thanks!

• Arun H
    Arun H
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I was able to fix the network drive issue, but now have a different problem.

I set up a Primary Vault that I use for myself, and a shared Family Vault. The family vault is set to sync with a folder in /Users/Shared on my Mac, so my wife can access it. As you may note, I am not using Dropbox - I'm looking for a local solution. Here is my issue: any changes I make from my user account to the Family Vault (password changes specifically) show up properly when my wife opens the Family Vault from her user account. However, the reverse is not true; when she makes a password change to an entry in the Family Vault from her account, I do not see the change. How can I set this up so both of us can make changes to entries in the shared vault?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Arun H,

I'm going to message you shortly regarding this.

• Arun H
    Arun H
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for getting back so quickly. For anyone following along, the other thing that worked was to simply locate the shared vault on an external (USB) drive. Since many people have (or should have) an external backup drive, a small partition on that can be used for this purpose.

If I have one recommendation it is that AgileBits make documentation around folder sync more complete. I moved to 1Password from a competing solution that was cloud based, and a big factor was locating the password file locally (yes, I know the file is encrypted and should be safe even if hacked - just call me paranoid!). Making this more visible would be a big help to folks such as me that want to keep their data within their wifi network.

Thanks again for the help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Arun H,

Thanks so much for following up here to let us know how that worked out for you! It's helpful for us, and also for anyone else who might be in a similar situation and looking for answers. :)

We also appreciate the feedback on our documentation for Folder sync! I think you're right, it would be helpful to have more information about that, and I'll be happy to forward your comments to our documentation team.

Hopefully everything continues to work well for you now, but if you need anything else, you know where to find us. ;)

This discussion has been closed.