Secure Desktop isn't working on Windows 8.1, keeps disappearing as soon as I open 1Password

DML1
DML1
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I am running Windows 8.1 with the latest 1password synced with Dropbox. It is a race to unlock my vault. I double-click on the lock icon to unlock my vault and the unlock screen shows for about 1-2 seconds before it disappears. Task manager shows the unlock screen task is still running, but I cannot 'switch' to it. If I cancel the task, the 'cannot unlock the vault with this password' button box shows. I have uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled with no help. I suppose I will have to uninstall, delete any settings/folders, then reinstall. Any other ideas?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DML1: 1Password settings shouldn't have any effect on that, as it will need to unlock regardless of the preferences you have set. Do you have other software — perhaps added or updated recently — which might be interfering?

The good news is that your 1Password data is completely separate, so you can safely uninstall the app if needed. But can you tell me what you mean by 'the unlock screen task'? Are you perhaps using Unlock on Secure Desktop? I know that some software has caused issues with this in the past, but you should be able to press Escape and use the normal unlock screen instead.

Please let me know hat you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• Hi @DML1,

This sounds like an issue with the Secure Desktop, can you confirm you had that turned on? As Brenty mentioned, try switching to the unlock process and pressing the 'esc' key, it should escape the Secure Desktop and take you back to the main program.

• DML1
    DML1
    Community Member

Yes, it was. Disabling Secure Desktop fixed it. Thanks.

• Hi @DML1,

That's super great to hear. Can you tell us if you have any security program installed that might interfere with it? We've seen it happen with a few anti-virus solutions such as Norton and McAfee.

This discussion has been closed.