I am having great difficulty upgrading from version 3.8.21

Options
colinmorley
colinmorley
Community Member

I have a Macbook pro using 1password vs 3.8.21 working with google chrome and synching with dropbox. I have a macbook air with same version and also vs 5.3. I have an iphone working with version 5.4.3. I would like to get them all on the same version. I have a license number.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:add-license, kb:license-file-faq, kb-search:upgrade from version 3.8.21, kb-search:Upgrade from version3.8.21, kb-search:Upgrade from version 3.8.21

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @colinmorley,

So the first aspect to possibly address is licensing. 1Password 3 from our AgileBits Store made use of a licence key, a string of characters and dashes while 1Password 4 & 5 make use of a licence file. The difference isn't quite as odd as it might sound when you also learn that a 1Password 3 licence isn't valid for 1Password 4/5.

So I have found a 1Password 3 licence as you've purchased that with the same email address you're using here in the forums. I didn't find a 1Password 4/5 licence but that could simply mean you either purchased using a different email address or you may very well have purchased 1Password for Mac from Apple's Mac App Store - they tell us no details on any of the purchases made there and the Mac App Store version doesn't require a licence file as all Mac App Store purchases are tied to your Apple ID.

It may be you're trying 1Password 5 out as it does start off in a 30 day trial mode and that's fine too.

So there is the licensing aspect as I've briefly touched upon. Then there is the version issue. You haven't said much about your Macs so here's a quick table.

• 1Password 5 requires OS X 10.10
    • 1Password 4 requires OS X 10.8 or higher
    • 1Password 3 requires OS X 10.6 or higher

Some people still use 1Password 3 for Mac because it's the latest that will work on that particular Mac. If you're running Yosemite (AKA OS X 10.10) on both MacBooks that's not an issue and we can help, I just want to make sure before we proceed and cause disappoint and confusion.

The good news is that even if you are limited to 1Password 3 for Mac on one of your Macs it won't matter. 1Password 5 will happily sync via Dropbox with 1Password 3 for Mac, it's entirely up to you.

So I think a good plan is to confirm where you can run 1Password 5, your licence status (just so you don't get surprised down the road) and maybe a little description of your MacBook Air. You mentioned you had 1Password 3 and 5 on this machine. Now 1Password 5 should have picked up the vault immediately from Dropbox so is it set up or were you unsure and looking for guidance before plunging in?

Don't worry, we won't stop replying to the thread until you're up and running and happy :smile:

• colinmorley
    colinmorley
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. This is most helpful. Here are answers that I hope will help you help me. I have a licence for version 3 but not version 5. I purchase the licence for three directly from you. My main concern was that I seem to have to delete the version three before I can upgrade to version 5. That worries me.
    I am using Yosemite OSX 10.10.2 on my macbook pro and 10.10.4 on my macbook air. I also have an iphone 5C.

On my Macbookpro I only have version 3 but on my Macbook air I have version 5.2, which seems to be fully populated with my passwords etc but I also have version 3.8.21 working on this computer as well. So I must have purchased a licence for version 5 at some time! On the iphone I have version 5.4.3

Please help me sort out this muddle and get them all working up to date...
    Best wishes,

Colin

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @colinmorley,

So you won't have to delete 1Password 3 to install and use 1Password 5. In fact they can live side by side which some people need to do. It's a very specific crowd that need this though (they have 1Password 3 for iOS and can't upgrade). The key point to take away though is you don't have to remove 1Password 3 until you're happy that things are okay in 1Password 5.

If you download and launch 1Password 5 on a Mac that has 1Password 3 installed or if you have your vault in Dropbox then it should find it automatically which seems to have happened already on your MacBook Air. We wanted it to be seamless if we could and it seems like we managed it for you anyway. I suspect 1Password 5 might be in trial mode though. The easiest way to confirm is to look in 1Password 5 > Licence... and see what it says. If it says Trial Mode we know it's in trial mode, if it says Thank you for supporting 1Password! then you're licensed and it should say if you're licensed from our store or if it picked up that you purchased it from Apple's Mac App Store. If you don't have a menu option titled Licence then it would indicate that you're running the Mac App Store.

Now your iPhone is independent of all of this. If your Agile Keychain is in Dropbox I would hope it is already synchronising to it. If it isn't does this page, Sync with Dropbox (iOS) help at all?

Basically we can treat each machine/device independently of the others if your Agile Keychain is in Dropbox. Please let us know if any of that helps :smile:

• colinmorley
    colinmorley
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. We are winning. On my Macbookpro the version 5 is a trial version and asks me to buy a licence. On my macbook air it is version 5.3 but the drop down menu under 1 password does not offer me licence. From what you say this is licensed via the Apple App store or is that a trial version? I am happy to buy a licence for version 5 if I dont have one already.

My iphone does synch through dropbox.

Thank you for your help.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @colinmorley,

I believe we are indeed making progress :smile:

It sounds like you may very well the AgileBits Store version on one Mac and the Mac App Store version on another. The easiest way to confirm this is on your MacBook Air go to the 1Password > About 1Password menu option. If it says Mac App Store just above the Copy to Clipboard button then you have indeed purchased the Mac App Store version at some point. If you have you definitely do not need to purchase again.

So let's go for a quick recap.

1. It sounds like 1Password for iOS on your iPhone is properly configured and is synchronising with Dropbox :+1:
    2. If you do have the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac on your MacBook Air then enter 1Password's preferences on that Mac and switch to the Sync tab. If it says you're syncing your primary vault to Dropbox it sounds like the MacBook Air is good too :+1:

That would just leave the MacBook Pro which has the AgileBits Store version on it. Here is what I recommend. Follow our How do I start over with an empty vault? guide just on the MacBook Pro. After that drag the 1Password 5 application from your /Applications/ folder to your Trash. Now open the App Store application and switch to the Purchases tab. Download 1Password for Mac as it should appear here. When you launch 1Password for Mac it should find the same Agile Keychain in Dropbox that 1Password found on your MacBook Air.

At this point you have 1Password 5 on all of your Macs and iOS devices and all will be synchronising to the same Agile Keychain. Once you're happy that the vault looks good you will want to consider removing 1Password 3 if you don't have a need for it any more but you can do this when you're ready and comfortable. We have a page on Completely Uninstalling 1Password 3 that should help.

As always, if you have any questions please do ask :smile:

• colinmorley
    colinmorley
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much. It now all works well. I am most grateful to you for your detailed and patient support. This is fantastic customer service.
    Best wishes Colin

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Those are very kind words, thank you @colinmorley :smile: I'm glad to hear everything is running smoothly and if you ever have any questions or issues going forward we'll be here, ready to ensure we earn that fine appraisal :smile:

This discussion has been closed.