Questions about sharing vaults

Options
darouiche1
darouiche1
Community Member

I want to share my entire vault with my husband who has his own 1Password acct. on his phone. Yesterday, I purchased 1Password app for my macbook and got a dropbox so that I am able to manage my 1Password on my computer and print out hard copy of all of my stuff. I want to be able to share my entire vault with my husband and gain access to his entire vault too so that I can also print out his vault from my computer and also sync our stuff. Do I have to purchase and install 1Password for Mac AGAIN and install on his computer and also install dropbox on his computer so that I can get access to his 1Password vault? Please advise...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @darouiche1,

Firstly, no matter whether you purchased 1Password for Mac from our AgileBits Store or via Apple's Mac App Store, you won't need to purchase 1Password for Mac again. The single purchase covers you and up to 5 other family members in the same household for as many Macs as you have between you.

If you purchased from our AgileBits Store then you simply apply your licence file to the copy on his Mac (which will mean downloading and installing - sorry).

If you purchased from Apple's Mac App Store it depends. If you share a single Apple ID then you would simply download 1Password via the App Store application on his Mac. If you maintain separate Apple IDs then you would need to look into Apple's Family Sharing.

Either way though, you should not need to purchase 1Password for Mac again.

You will need to install Dropbox on his computer though. Now you can share a single Dropbox account between you if that's easiest although Dropbox does allow you to share folders between separate accounts if you want.

If you need any assistance in setting up the syncing itself please do let us know :smile:

• darouiche1
    darouiche1
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I took your advice and activated Apple's Family Sharing as we have 2 different Apple ID's and 2 different 1Password accounts. I installed his own Dropbox account on his computer and iPhone 6. Now what? How can he view HIS own 1Password content on his computer without intalling 1Password for Mac on his computer? I also want to be able to see his 1Password stuff on my computer and phone So that I can print out his info. I guess I need to merge our 1password accounts but I have no idea how to do that. Please help!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @darouiche1,

So with Apple's Family Sharing now active you can download 1Password for Mac onto any computer your husband uses his Apple ID on. So you will need to download 1Password for Mac but it won't require another licence to do so. That Apple link should hopefully show you how to do this.

Here is the order that I would suggest.

1. Have your husband set up Dropbox sync on his iPhone where it sounds like the vault currently is. This page, Sync with Dropbox (iOS) will help with this stage. I personally recommend installing the free iOS Dropbox app as things just work better when you have their app installed.
    2. At this point you will likely have in your Dropbox the following ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain, the default when 1Password for Mac creates a new Agile Keychain and your husband will likely have in his Dropbox ~/Dropbox/apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain, the default when 1Password for iOS creates a new Agile Keychain.
    3. What I would recommend is that you first rename your 1Password.agilekeychain to your [first_name].agilekeychain and have your husband do the same. This way the two will be easy to distinguish.
    4. Then you will want to share your ~/Dropbox/1Password/ folder with your husband's Dropbox account and this Dropbox KB article, How do I share a file or folder with others? should help with that.
    5. Your husband should now be able to see both your Agile Keychain and his. Have your husband move his Agile Keychain into the same folder as yours (the folder being shared). Now you should be able to see both of them too.
    6. Now steps 3-5 will have disabled Dropbox sync everywhere because we've moved the files from under 1Password. That's okay. It will complain but we've not done anything that will do damage.
    7. On your Mac you would set up Dropbox Sync again but this time instead of selecting your Dropbox folder you will want to explicitly select your Agile Keychain and have your primary vault synchronise to it.
    8. Still on your Mac, if you double click on your husband's Agile Keychain, 1Password will bring up a window titled Create New Vault. What it really means is create a new local vault based on the contents of this Agile Keychain and then synchronise to it.
    9. At this stage you will have a vault for you and a vault for your husband. They're separate so they won't interfere with each other but you will always be able to see any changes and you can print it out. Don't forget to keep these hard copies somewhere very safe given what is printed.
    10. On your husband's iPhone he will need to set up Dropbox Sync again and point it to his Agile Keychain. He can then add your vault as a secondary vault on his iPhone if that's what you want by going to Settings > Vaults > Add Vault and following the prompts.
    11. On your husband's Mac, the first time he launches it you will want to ensure it opens his Agile Keychain so that is the primary vault on his Mac. This page, Sync existing Dropbox data should help with that. He can then add your vault to his Mac just like you did with his.

So there are a lot of steps but everything here is a one off. After everything is set up you shouldn't ever need to revisit it and you will both have access to each other's vault without it interfering with your normal day to day usage of your own one.

What I would recommend is going through the steps slowly and if anything doesn't react the way we indicate it does let us know. Don't worry, the data in Dropbox is just your synchronisation data so even deleting it doesn't affect the vault on your Mac or iOS device. If you have any questions at all please do ask :smile:

• darouiche1
    darouiche1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for all of the info. but I think I'm in WAY over my head here. I guess I really need to speak to someone who can talk me through all of this. I would be more than happy to pay for some kind of consultation if you offer that.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @darouiche1,

Apologies if the steps here seem overwhelming. I have sent you an email to offer more direct help with this. Let's continue the conversation there. We appreciate your business, and we're committed to helping you get the most out of 1Password! :)

ref: YVS-21891-777

• darouiche1
    darouiche1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Vee-I had a phone appt. with Steve yesterday evening and he was awesome! He really helped me out so much and by the time our phone call was completed, everything was working perfectly! Unfortunately today I am having some problems... could you please let Steve know that I am getting the same message on all of my devices which reads, From "dl-web.dropbox.com": A problem occurred when loading the "https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/encryptionkeys.js"file. This message occurred when I was showing my husband how to access 1Password Anywhere. This same problem occurred last night during our consultation but Steve corrected it and it's happening again. Please help! Thanks so much!!

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @darouiche1

There seems to be an issue with Dropbox. They seem to have made a server side change that is affecting 1Password Anywhere.

Please see this topic for the complete discussion. https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/45428/1passwordanywhere-not-working-under-investigation

The relevant portion is below from @brenty

Just a quick update: we've been in contact with Dropbox, and they're working on deploying a fix. We'll update the thread once we have more news, but I suspect that folks might just notice it's working without having to check back here. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@darouiche1: Indeed! I'm sorry that you're having this issue, but hopefully Dropbox will be able to get this patched quickly. (I'm still not seeing a change as of this post, however.)

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi @darouiche1,

As you have an active email thread going with Steve regarding this subject, I'm going to close this forum thread now so as to avoid getting wires crossed. You can just reply to the email from Steve to continue that conversation, and Steve or another team member will continue to assist you via email. Thanks! :)

ref: YVS-21891-777

This discussion has been closed.