Chrome extension stopped working [Canary 46 changed something that makes it no longer supported]

itayo
itayo
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

My Chrome extension stopped working. Whenever I press on the 1P icon (or press CTRL+) nothing happens.
I tried to remove and re-install it - didn't work.
I also tried to "Restart 1Password helper" - didn't work.

The software and the IE extension are working.

Thanks,
Itay

1Password Version:4.6.0.584
_Extension Version:4.4.2.90
_OS Version: Windows 8.1
_Sync Type:Dropbox
_Referrer
: kb-search:extension not working

Comments

• Hi @itayo,

When you click on the 1Password icon, it doesn't show you a welcome page saying 1Password Helper can't be connected?

Can you tell me if you have a security program installed or a network-related tool like VPN, proxy, firewall or anything like that?

• itayo
    itayo
    Community Member

When I press the 1P button - nothing happens. No error message - simply noting at all.
    As for the software, I do have VPN installed, but it hasn't changed for the past year.
    I do use Chrome 64 bit - Canary - if it makes any difference.
    BTW: since my post, I have upgraded to Windows 10, but nothing changed.
    Itay

• Antusus
    Antusus
    Community Member

I'm experiencing the same thing. Windows 8.1, Chrome Version 46.0.2471.0 canary (64-bit) and 1Password 4.6.0.483. I'm not sure when it stopped working (I'm not sure it happened after update of Chrome or 1Password).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@itayo, @Antusus: Indeed, the most recent prerelease Chrome builds is known to have issues with the 1Password extension, and we're continuing to monitor the situation there as development progresses. The stable version of Chrome is fully supported, so please use that in the mean time until Google is able to iron out the kinks in the Dev and Canary channels. :)

• Hi guys,

Just to clarify, Canary has changed the way websockets work, which is what 1Password relies on. We're investigating on how to work around this but it appears Google is insistent on staying this way, which would mean we may have to overhaul how communication works between Chrome and 1Password Helper.

As Brenty said, the stable and beta versions of Chrome will work for now.

• Thomas Neumann
    Thomas Neumann
    Community Member

When can we expect an solution for that?
    AS already mentioned in other threads. I am so tired about all the issues in the OS X and Windows Versions of 1Password again and again.

• MikeT
    edited August 2015

Hi @Thomas Neumann,

The solution is to switch to the stable version of Chrome for now, there is no timeframe for a fix for an unstable Canary issue, it might be fixed by the Chromium team in a future update to Canary. We're investigating the issue with them on a related matter.

In addition, this is a sudden change made by the Canary team that we were not made aware of, it's not an issue in our extension but a change in Canary that is not a stable product in the first place. These things will happen every once in a while as that's the nature of the unstable versions.

Unstable versions of Chrome such as the beta and Canary channels are not supported by 1Password and will never be, the same is true for other browsers' unstable versions.

As for the other issues, please do continue to report these issues and we'll get them fixed as fast as we can.

This discussion has been closed.