Feature Request: BitTorrent Sync

Gonzague
Gonzague
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Mac

Hi

I would like to move away from cloud services that I have no control over and bittorrent sync is the perfect solution for me (full control over my data) and I would like to know if 1Password (OSX, iOS...) will work flawlessly with bittorrent sync.

I am not here to promote bittorrent sync, but having full control over my data in the clouds is a priority for me.

Regards

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gonzague,

At this point in time we haven't test BitTorrent Sync so we can't say anything with confidence. I know a small number of users have tried it and I had this nagging feeling in my head about a sync issue relating to BitTorrent Sync. What I found was this thread. It might be worth reading given your query.

Depending on your particular setup you may want to instead use a combination of Wi-Fi and Folder Sync. To best advise if you could let us know how many instances of each platform and where applicable what versions of 1Password we're dealing with and we can hopefully make a couple of suggestions. Even if BitTorrent Sync is reliable enough over your Macs there is no way at the moment to sync your iOS devices using it so you will probably still need to consider Wi-Fi Sync.

Let us know what you think and we can continue the discussion :smile:

• Gonzague
    Gonzague
    Community Member

Hi

Sorry for the late reply. I will wait for a cross OS experience.
    I believe that it will be worth (for you guys) to dig this further. After all, and even if 1Password is secure, adding an extra layer of security for your customer is worth checking. I am sure the folks over at BitTorrent will be glad to talk with you.

Cheers

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gonzague,

Other sync services are a popular request and I've added your voice to the BitTorrent Sync feature request which I should have done earlier so sorry about that. While I don't think we see any particular sync dominate in the requests it's clear alternatives would be appreciated. I can't promise anything but I will ask.

ref: OPI-999

• pc1oad1etter
    pc1oad1etter
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables Are there any updates as to the viability/reliability of Bittorrent Sync for 1Password?

Aside: it took me quite a long time to figure out the year that posts were made in the forum. Because I didn't know the year, I didn't know how stale the information was. Eventually, I realized that by hovering over the dates (e.g. April 12) that it would reveal the full date.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pc1oad1etter ,

Thanks for checking in on us! I don't have an update for you on BitTorrent sync for you at this time. This doesn't mean we're not investigating alternative sync solutions, it's just that we prefer to not discuss unreleased features. In any case, I'd be happy to add your vote to the feature request in our internal tracker. :)

• pc1oad1etter
    pc1oad1etter
    Community Member

Thanks, Megan. Please do.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

Hi @pc1oad1etter ,

It has been done. :)

• performat
    performat
    Community Member

Hi,
    like @pc1oad1etter, I was also curious about the year this discussion happened, as only month + day displayed leaves me with a really blurry feeling.

Anyways, could you please add my vote regarding the sync with BitTorrent Sync? :chuffed:
    The current offer of sync services is quite limited on 1Password, and Wi-Fi Sync is certainly not a viable option if you carry a smartphone.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @performat ,

I'm happy to add your vote to the request for BitTorrent sync.

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member

+1, please add another vote for btsync

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @binaranomaly,

Thanks for letting us know! I'll be glad to add your request to our internal tracker.

• noelmcg
    noelmcg
    Community Member

As per the title!

Cheers

Noel

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:feature request

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @noelmcg,

I've merged your post into this existing thread on the BitTorrent Sync feature request. Unfortunately in the merge, your post title was lost, but for the record it was: "hi is there any where that I can add support to the feature request for bittorrent sync."

So, the answer is yes! I've added your voice to the request in our internal tracker. Thank you for the feedback! :)

• noelmcg
    noelmcg
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

Thanks a mill @Vee! I wasn't sure how to voice my support for this request. Would be great to have this feature.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@noelmcg, on behalf of Vee, you're very welcome! Our support forums are the perfect place to let us know about feature requests - as well as questions, problems, or anything else related to 1Password. :)

• shrop
    shrop
    Community Member

Please add my vote to having OS X and iOS versions (at least) of 1Password support BitTorrent Sync. I do not believe Dropbox or Apple can guarantee that my data will not be leaked or worse yet, given away to someone. BitTorrent Sync allows me to have a good bit more control of my own data. Make me responsible.

• @shrop I understand your concern regarding Apple and Dropbox keeping your information secure. We appreciate the feedback as well. I've added your vote for this feature. We can't promise anything, but others have asked for it as well and we will take it into consideration. :)

• shrop
    shrop
    Community Member

Thank you @penderworth!

• @shrop No problem at all. :+1: Let us know if you have any other questions!

• rygood
    rygood
    Community Member

I would like to add my name to the list to request BT Sync Support in 1P. Thanks!

• @rygood You got it! I've added your vote. :+1:

• Garbanzo
    Garbanzo
    Community Member

hey, me too! I'm looking for a password manager app that supports sync via bit torrent sync. Seems like a no-brainer to me! :-)

Keep up the good work.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @Garbanzo,

I've added your vote to the others.

• bfodeke
    bfodeke
    Community Member

I would also like to add a request that 1password sync using bit torrent sync. Two great products and integration would be excellent!

• @bfodeke You got it. :) I've added your vote. Thanks for chiming in.

• deetergp
    deetergp
    Community Member

Count me as one more vote for BitTorrent Sync support. It would be a huge win for those of us that rely daily on 1Password, but aren't thrilled about having to store data in places beyond our control.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016

Vote added. Thanks @deetergp!

I don't necessarily wish to persuade you (or anyone else who has already posted in this thread). However, I would be remiss if I didn't at least mention that your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so, in a very real sense, there is not a difference between syncing 1Password data with Dropbox or iCloud or BitTorrent. 1Password simply doesn't depend on the security of any sync solution to protect your data. 1Password provides its own protection.

Just something for others who may find this thread in the future to think about. :)

I should also note that you can use any sync solution with 1Password for Mac via the Folder Sync functionality:

1Password for Mac: Folder Sync

So, while BitTorrent Sync is not tested and supported directly, it should be possible to try using it with 1Password for Mac. I think the feature request for BitTorrent Sync may be more appropriate in the 1Password for iOS forum category since iOS apps are sandboxed (thus do not have access to the file system and require any sync solution to be built-in directly to the app).

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

Cheers!

• tecto
    tecto
    Community Member

@khad great point on the end-to-end encryption, but there is always the implicit assumption that the encryption implementation in 1Password doesn't leak metadata (https://blog.agilebits.com/2015/10/19/when-a-leak-isnt-a-leak/) or have implementation vulnerabilities. Keeping all data in a storage environment under my own control is another layer of defense (defense in depth is a best practice).

+1 for BitTorrent Sync support, especially with iOS and Android, considering that the Folder Sync functionality might cover Mac OS X support. I would switch to the Folder Sync functionality right now but manually triggering a Wifi Sync for mobile devices is too limiting when I generate or deal with new passwords on a daily basis.

btw, i consider leaking the URLs (metadata leak) an issue from both a privacy perspective (Ashley Madison users might agree) as well as providing an attacker a beginning point for attacking me by letting them pick sites from my vault with known vulnerabilities or poor security practices like storing passwords in cleartext.

• shrop
    shrop
    Community Member

I couldn't agree more with @tecto

I can confirm that folder sync does work with Bittorrent Sync. I am using that setup now and successfully syncing my 1Password data between three Macs. As @tecto mentioned, the major drawback is that I am stuck in a world of wifi sync which is not convenient at all.

Bittorrent Sync has an API (https://www.getsync.com/api). I am not sure how comperable it is to the dropbox API, but it looks like what developers would need to evaluate the possibility of adding this to iOS.

I also agree this probably makes more sense in the iOS section of the forums. I trust that agile folks could make that change if needed. This thread has a lot of traction and cold be referenced.

Thanks
    shrop

• noelmcg
    noelmcg
    Community Member

... since iOS apps are sandboxed

Is this true of Android apps also? From an Android & Mac 1Password user :)

This discussion has been closed.