Suggestion: 1Password Scannable

celerity
celerity
Community Member

I've recently tried out Evernotes new app and got an idea.

Why not add the same feature to 1Password iOS? It would be awesome if one could take encrypted photos with 1Password and sync them across all devices!

Just a thought.

Regards,

celerity

Comments

• celerity
    celerity
    Community Member

Yeah, among other things!

Say you have a printed document (A4/letter) you want to digitalize and store safely, take a photo with your iPhone 5 camera, upload to 1Password. Done!

• celerity
    celerity
    Community Member

Something like this (YouTube link).

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni

Hi @celerity,

we are definitely looking into the possibility how to add attachments to 1Password on iOS. I like your idea of taking a picture - thanks for bringing that up! Another idea we had was having an extension to be able to add attachments from other apps. But as I said: we are still looking into finding the best solution and I can not promise when it will be added to 1Password.

ref: OPI-2284

• The_caveman
    The_caveman
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

I was wondering how hard it is to implement a "use photo from library" type of functionality. Is there an API or something that allows for this? Many other apps have it and it doesn't need to be more complicated than that. I don't need another camera app. The ability to upload a picture (of a file, a tree, whatever) to 1Password would make me (and many others I suspect) pretty happy.
    The idea would be to either upload it in a "photos" folder or as an attachment to a secure note.
    Please, pretty please, with sugar on top.
    Caveman

I do understand you are hoping people will buy the Mac app to add pictures to their notes, but the sheer convenience of such functionality should prevail in this case. I can think of plenty of reasons to own the Mac app even if I wouldn't need it to add pictures. And yes, I own both apps...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @The_caveman ,

As Winnie mentioned above, we're currently looking for the best way to implement this feature in 1Password. Adding the ability to "use photo from library" is likely one of those options. I don't think you're alone in not needing another camera app. ;) At this time, we're unsure of how it will look, but if you have seen our new TOTP implementation, we were able to tuck a camera/QR scanner right into the item editor ... so who knows?

(I should just note briefly that I'm not a developer, so any suggestions of how we might be able to do things are just suppositions!)

• The_caveman
    The_caveman
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply Megan.
    Too bad you can't reveal more than "currently looking into it...", but at least you guys are listening!
    Looking forward to a solution!
    Cheers,
    Caveman

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @The_caveman ,

We don't like to reveal too many secrets, as things can change drastically in development. Under-promise and over-deliver seems like a pretty smart mantra. ;) In any case, it's great to know that users are interested in something like this!

• Daligal
    Daligal
    Community Member

Hi guys

This is just to another user interested in having the possibility to include pictures is some of the logins. I also think having the picture imported from the camera roll would do it and should be simple enough to implement.

My use case is the following. My bank has issued me an "coordinates card". It's a matrix of columns with letters and rows with numbers. Any time I want to enter the bank's site, I need my user name and my password. After validation, the bank asks for a set of two coordinates and I have to enter the 3-digit number corresponding to these coordinates.

I could enter manually the 80 numbers as a text field within the login data but it would be much simpler to take a picture of the card and store it with the rest of the access data.

As of now, I store the access data in 1password and the picture of the card in another iPhone app. :-(

Thanks for taking this proposal into consideration!

• Thanks for the feedback and taking the time to explain your use case, @Daligal!

This discussion has been closed.