1PasswordAnywhere is not working on Dropbox [Dropbox has fixed this for us, it should work now]

dewitteridder
dewitteridder
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Yesterday I was able to access my 1password.html file from dropbox. Today I can't. I open the file like I always do but now my chrome browser says "A problem occurred when loading the file ".....1password.html". Is there a problem with dropbox integration? If so, may I please have an estimate time that the fix will be in place? Thank you so much for your continued support.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:I am having troubles accessing my 1password.html file on dropbox.

Comments

• thisisfaked
    thisisfaked
    Community Member

Yup, same issue here.

Frankly, I'm getting sick and tired of this issue and the canned responses it always gets. Once I do have the time, I will come back with my own thread but it would be nice to get clear instructions on how to get 1passwordAnywhere to work _independently _of Dropbox.

Ideally I would decouple myself from any cloud services...I thought the point of 1PasswordAnywhere was to have access to your vault anywhere, anytime. Yet every time, we are advised to open the .html file through Dropbox - as though dropbox is infallible or we will always have access to it.

• zero_divide_1
    zero_divide_1
    Community Member

I found that the problem is due to the fact that Dropbox is throwing an HTTP 403 when the 1Password.html tries to request the https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/encryptionKeys.js file. It appears that Dropbox has broken the ability for us to navigate to "websites" within our own Dropbox (not published to /public). This is a serious problem since it essentially means that we can't use Dropbox as a "host" for the web interface unless (maybe) you put your vault into the public folder (I haven't tried this yet, nor do I really want to).

• MikeT
    edited August 2015

Hi guys,

This happened last year because Dropbox updated their APIs along with their web interface, which blocked 1PasswordAnywhere from working. We had to open a case with them to allow our files to work on their web interface and we will do this again to see if they'll fix the issue for us.

@thisisfaked,

it would be nice to get clear instructions on how to get 1passwordAnywhere to work _independently _of Dropbox.

The problem is that it isn't really that simple to make it work outside of a web server, you have to install or run a web server to use 1PasswordAnywhere. Not to mention, we don't have our own web server and do not recommend third party tools. [Updated: Removed a reference to a third party server]

I'll file a request with our docs team to see we can add a detailed guide for this.

• sndr
    sndr
    Community Member

I don't think this is 100% a Dropbox problem. I'm using a third-party chrome extension to retrieve the same data without any problems whatsoever. Perhaps a fresh look is needed in the way 1passwordAnywhere accesses Dropbox?

• thisisfaked
    thisisfaked
    Community Member

@MikeT

Thanks. A guide would absolutely be helpful :)

Does that mean the nature of 1PasswordAnywhere has changed since release? I had the impression it used to mere be an offline access to the vault when 1Password software wasn't available.

As 1Password grew, did the requirement to set up web server get added? It used to be you just needed a browser (until Chrome and Firefox started messing with local access).

• vishal206
    vishal206
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue and I rely on 1password anywhere to do my job. Please please tell us how to fix this!

• MikeT
    edited August 2015

Hi guys,

@sndr,

I don't think this is 100% a Dropbox problem. I'm using a third-party chrome extension to retrieve the same data without any problems whatsoever. Perhaps a fresh look is needed in the way 1passwordAnywhere accesses Dropbox?

Be careful with using unauthorized third party extensions, especially if you're giving your master password to it. Can you tell us what extension this is? 1PasswordAnywhere isn't accessing Dropbox, Dropbox is running 1PasswordAnywhere as webapp for you and letting it access its own files.

Nothing has changed with 1PasswordAnywhere in a few years, the only time it would break is when Dropbox prevents the Javascript files from being executed. We have to ask for special permission for our Javascript files.

As for a fresh look, let's just say that we do not release any details about our future plans. :wink:

@thisisfaked:

Does that mean the nature of 1PasswordAnywhere has changed since release? I had the impression it used to mere be an offline access to the vault when 1Password software wasn't available.

Nothing has changed with 1PasswordAnywhere: there are only two ways to run 1PasswordAnywhere:

1. Remote/Cloud-based: Dropbox.com, Dropbox can let you run your html/Javascript files on their web site but this is special access-only, there are limitations in place. We have to ask to 1PasswordAnywhere to be run there, this can be revoked any time.
    2. Local: Right now, the only browser that allows this is Safari on Windows and Mac. For the other browsers, you can bypass the local access restriction by running your own web server, so your browser can access this local server rather than the local file directly.

@vishal206:

I'm having the same issue and I rely on 1password anywhere to do my job. Please please tell us how to fix this!

If you know how to run your local-only web server, you can run 1PasswordAnywhere on the local server. [Updated: Removed a reference to a third party server].

• vishal206
    vishal206
    Community Member

I use 1password anywhere on dropbox. It was working yesterday, and not working today. I've tried to repair the file but that hasn't worked. When I access the HTML file using Chrome, this is the message I get: A problem occurred when loading the "https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/1password/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/encryptionKeys.js" file.

• Hi @vishal206,

The issue can't be fixed on our side, we can't work around Dropbox.com's limitations. We're waiting to see if they'll help us fix this.

If not, the only two solutions are to use Safari on Windows or to run your own web server like mongoose, as I mentioned in the previous post.

• vishal206
    vishal206
    Community Member

Thanks I'm crossing my fingers that dropbox fixes the problem they caused. Looks like exactly the same issue as last year: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/24051/cant-access-1password-html-file-on-dropbox-com

• Yep, it is the same error as well. Blocking the other files from being retrieved.

• zorga
    zorga
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

Hello, I can't access 1passwordeverywhere despite the fact I followed up your instructions.
    I need an access from my office computer which doesn't have the 1password software installed, or any of its extension.
    I really need that, and will have to stop using this software if it doesn't work anyway;
    This is the error message "A problem occurred when loading the "https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/apps/1password/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/encryptionKeys.js" file".
    Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: no extension
    OS Version: windows7
    Sync Type: dropbox
    Referrer: kb:repair-vault

• sndr
    sndr
    Community Member

@MikeT,

Be careful with using unauthorized third party extensions, especially if you're giving your master password to it. Can you tell us what extension this is? 1PasswordAnywhere isn't accessing Dropbox, Dropbox is running 1PasswordAnywhere as webapp for you and letting it access its own files.

Nothing has changed with 1PasswordAnywhere in a few years, the only time it would break is when Dropbox prevents the Javascript files from being executed. We have to ask for special permission for our Javascript files.

As for a fresh look, let's just say that we do not release any details about our future plans. :wink:

I doubt the author has any malicious intent. My guess is that he's probably emulating and "simplifying" the functionality of 1Passwordanywhere through a handy extension; matching tokens and such; A to B without decrypting A and B, so to speak.

• sndr
    sndr
    Community Member

@MikeT

Sorry. I forgot to include this in my previous post...

https://github.com/Gyran/chrome-1passwordanywhere-extension

• sraymond
    sraymond
    Community Member

I am having the same exact problem and it started yesterday (August 5th). It was working on August 4th). Please let us know when there is a fix with Dropbox.

• Pecos_Bill
    Pecos_Bill
    Community Member

This is not new based on googling this site. Happened a year ago. I found I was able to use the web app with IE 10 provided that I have the ability to allow the scripts to run which I do. Since I'm not allowed the Dropbox app, I had to download my entire vault to do that. Not thrilled about that. (Nor having the files on Windows at all). Absolutely never going to host my own server on the public net (worse than having the files on a work computer).

• Hi guys,

Dropbox is investigating the issue right now and will let us know soon what's going on.

I've edited my posts above to remove any references to third party servers, we cannot suggest or recommend tools that we don't build and I shouldn't done it in the first place. I do apologize but do not run third party web servers or tools that you do not trust, we do not know what they're doing behind the scene.

@sndr,

I doubt the author has any malicious intent. My guess is that he's probably emulating and "simplifying" the functionality of 1Passwordanywhere through a handy extension; matching tokens and such; A to B without decrypting A and B, so to speak.

If you don't know the author and hasn't studied the code carefully, it is a security risk regardless. We do not recommend using any third party tools as you can expose your data unknowingly because the tool is in the middle between your encryption key and your master password. In addition, we have to make sure third party tools do not use our product names as we've seen a lot of people using these tools thinking it is our own tools, which is a big no-no.

@Pecos_Bill:

This is not new based on googling this site. Happened a year ago. I found I was able to use the web app with IE 10 provided that I have the ability to allow the scripts to run which I do.

Yes, as mentioned a few times before in this thread, Dropbox fixed it for us last year and something happened recently to undo the fix. They're investigating right now to see what they can do for us.

Absolutely never going to host my own server on the public net (worse than having the files on a work computer).

Yep, we don't recommend that at all. Wait for Dropbox to fix it soon.

• Hi @zorga,

I've merged your thread into this one, Dropbox is investigating the problem letting 1PasswordAnywhere run on their website. Hopefully, they'll have a fix for us soon.

• thisisfaked
    thisisfaked
    Community Member

Thanks for the help. Looks like Dropbox has pushed through the fix. Cheers

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@thisisfaked: Thanks for the heads up! I can confirm it's working here again as well. :)

• sndr
    sndr
    Community Member

@MikeT ,

If you don't know the author and hasn't studied the code carefully, it is a security risk regardless. We do not recommend using any third party tools as you can expose your data unknowingly because the tool is in the middle between your encryption key and your master password. In addition, we have to make sure third party tools do not use our product names as we've seen a lot of people using these tools thinking it is our own tools, which is a big no-no.

Fair enough.
    It would be great if there were 1PasswordAnywhere support in the official 1Password chrome extension. I'm sure those of us who are paying customers using Linux would benefit from that.

• MikeT
    edited August 2015

Hi guys,

It looks like Dropbox has come through for us, 1PasswordAnywhere should now work on Dropbox.com.

@sndr,

It would be great if there were 1PasswordAnywhere support in the official 1Password chrome extension. I'm sure those of us who are paying customers using Linux would benefit from that.

I agree, that'd be awesome, especially on ChromeBooks that a lot of folks have.
    Right now, we're not interested in that solution for 1PasswordAnywhere because it is limited to Chrome only, we want something that's available in all browsers and on multiple platforms. We will update 1PasswordAnywhere as we need to have something for our newer OPVault format that 1PasswordAnywhere doesn't know anything about and it needs to consider the possibility of not working on Dropbox.com.

We don't release any details about the future as a policy but all we can say right now is that we're not sitting around ignoring this, we know we can do a lot better.

This discussion has been closed.