Some banks and financial websites request say 3 characters from your password like the 3rd, 8th

richardszo
richardszo
Community Member
edited August 2015 in Lounge

It would be helpful if 1Password would reveal the password in numbered boxes instead of just a line of gobbledeegook text, so that when a website asks you for say the 1st, 6th and 10th character of your 14 digit password you can easily see the numbered characters,
Thanks Richard.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Some banks and financial websites request say 3 characters form your password like the 3rd, 8th & 11th character. Would it be possible to 'reveal' your password in numbered boxes, so that it is easier to see which is the 5th, 7th & 3rd character?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Many users, when faced with that annoying approach to security, copy their password into the notes field and then put a line of numbers under them. Others group their password in notes in groups of five characters, separated by a space, to help in finding the needed characters for a particular session. I realize that isn't a direct response to your request. Others are also interested in the same thing. Maybe these ideas will help you for now.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2015

And the new beta version of 1Passwor for Mac includes the Large Type reveal option, and it shows the character positions:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed! While it isn't the magical solution that one might hope for, it's certainly helpful in these situations. Ideally, websites will start using actually secure practices in the future, but unless and until that happens 1Password is in your corner! :)

• richardszo
    richardszo
    Community Member

Thank you for these helpful ideas. I'm encouraged to see the beta version's Large Type reveal option. This is precisely what I'm looking for.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of the others here, you're very welcome! The large type feature should be quite helpful in those situations, so I hope you'll like it. That feature is in the latest beta version, so barring any unforeseen circumstances, it should be included in the next regular update.

If you need anything else, just let us know! :)

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

But why on 1Password for Mac only? If you feel a feature is worth adding, it should be added on all platforms.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tonydow,

While not all features necessarily make sense to add to all platforms, when it's even possible, this one could eventually make the cut. :)

Thanks for your feedback!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015

But why on 1Password for Mac only? If you feel a feature is worth adding, it should be added on all platforms.

@tonydow: Indeed, it may be something we add to other versions (and 1Password for iOS does have a Large Type option itself), but the 1Password Fairy won't just leave it under our pillows one day; it will require some work, and therefore time, if we implement it. ;)

• stephend
    stephend
    Community Member

Drooling for next release :)
    I don't run Beta software for my most critical apps, and 1password is an app I would struggle to live without!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @stephend,

We can't wait to get this release out to you either! I completely understand not wanting to run beta software (I'm rather picky with which betas I install on my system - right now I think 1Password might be my only one, for obvious reasons.)

Stay tuned to our blog for details on the release just as soon as it is available. :)

• stephend
    stephend
    Community Member

@Megan,

Will stay tuned,

Thank you.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. :+1:

• danand725
    danand725
    Community Member

I'm struggling with several sites that ask for partial passwords. As a feature request, can't we have a way of marking such sites and have a number grid displayed under a password? I too have some passwords in the notes field with a row of numbers above, split into blocks of four, but there must me a more elegant (cross platform) arrangement?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

@danand725 - Take a look at the large type feature, as illustrated in the post by MrC, eleven posts above yours. When you display the password that way, it indeed has the characters numbered. Isn't that what you were hoping for? I'm not certain whether this feature is available yet in the release version for Mac, but it is at least in the current beta (which I am using), so it should arrive soon.

Edit: The Large Type option came with the release of version 5.4, so you can use it now. Click the down arrow next to your password to get the drop down menu offering the option.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@danand725: In case you have trouble finding it (I rarely use that dropdown menu myself), here's a screenshot:

I hope this helps. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.