How can I specify which email and password field to use on web page that contains multiple forms?

Options
pjbrownva
pjbrownva
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

This website: http://www.expressmodular.com/registration_form.php

Contains both a registration section and a login section. Each section is a separate HTML form. The HTML for email and password fields on both forms contain the same html name, html id, and html class. How can I tell 1password to enter the fields and submit the information on the form that starts with

<

form id="form1" name="form1" method="post" action="registration_form.php">,
instead of the form that that starts with

<

form accept-charset="UTF-8" id="registration-form" name="registration-form" method="post" action="registration_form.php">?

I have tried manually saving a new login in 1password ( https://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/saving-logins-manually.html ) and
this did not help

1Password Version: 1Password 5 Version 5.3 (530032) Agile Web Store
Extension Version: 4.4.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.10.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/1password-watchtower, ug:mac/add-custom-fields, ug:mac/totp, ug:mac/sign-up-for-a-new-website, kb:save-login-manually

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pjbrownva,

I hope you don't mind, but I moved your message to our "Saving and Filling in Browsers" forum. Thanks for including the URL for the site where you're having trouble, it's helpful for us when we can test it ourselves!

I also tried manually saving a new Login item for that site (using the "Existing Users Login" form), and although I cannot actually sign in since I don't have a real account there, it seems to fill that form correctly when I use the 1Password extension. I noticed the link you found with steps to save a new Login is an older one, so you might want to try again by following the steps in our new knowledgebase article here: How to manually save a Login (Those are basically the same steps, but might be worth trying anyway.)

Alternately, I noticed there's another login form on that page called "My Express Favorites" on the left side. You can try filling your email & password in that form and manually save a new Login item for that, and as far as I can tell that should also work. You can even do that from the main http://www.expressmodular.com/ site, where the "My Express Favorites" login form is the only one on the page, so there won't be any confusion.

Does that help? Let us know how it goes and if you have more questions about that. Thanks!

• pjbrownva
    pjbrownva
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much!!! I tried the web site http://www.expressmodular.com/ and that side-stepped the problem for me, which is all that I really wanted or needed. Thank you for looking into it, Drew. I really appreciate it. Sincerely, -Philip

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pjbrownva,

I'm glad to hear Drew was able to help get things moving again for you :smile:

I thought I'd give a quick overview of how things work as you might find it of interest. If you create a Login item from within the main 1Password window (something I happen to call a basic Login item) then 1Password has to 'guess' when it comes to filling. Now many pages are nice and simple but there are ones where the site places the login window and the registration window on the same page. Here 1Password needs to guess as the fields on one side are likely on the other too.

This is where the How to manually save a Login comes in or indeed any Login item saved from within the Browser. When you save via the browser we store all sorts of information about the page you want to fill on including what fields had text in them. We also use the fields as a fingerprint so that if this fingerprint changes we know the site has changed. If the fingerprints match though we know the information we've stored in the web form details can be trusted and so we use it. Also potentially of interest is that this is the only way to fill in a login page that uses more than just a username and password as we have to know what field to fill with what.

The How to manually save a Login guide is one of the pieces of information I learned here in the forums as a customer myself and it had a massive impact on my ability to use 1Password. It isn't perfect (we're always working to improve) but we find it's also a great first step to try - current Login item not behaving, does it work any better if you create a new one? this often may be all we need to do to help somebody. Obviously this doesn't always work but we're always here to investigate a troublesome site if needed :smile:

This discussion has been closed.