Uninstall 1Password 3 completely after installation of 1Password5

Options
TheFish
TheFish
Community Member

I have been upgrading from 1Password 3 to 1Password 5. Now I want to completely uninstall 1Password 3. In the "Knowledgebase" I found the article " How do I completely uninstall 1Password?" and the uninstaller application. Does the uninstaller application uninstall 1Password 3 and 1Password5 at the same time or 1Password3 only?

If I decide to manually uninstall 1Password 3 while having 1Password 5 installed: In the directory where 1Password 3 is stored on my hard drive there is also a file named "1Password.agilekeychain". Is this file also required under 1Password 5 in order to either store the information contained in 1Password 5 or to sync via WIFI with my iPhone and iPad? Where and in which file does 1Password 5 store the information contained in 1Password 5? Will all the information stored in 1Password 5 be deleted when I delete the file "1Password.agilekeychain" stored in the directory of 1Password 3? How do I move the file "1Password.agilekeychain" to the 1Password 5 directory in order to use it with 1Password 5?

Thank you for answering my many questions! :-)))

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.2
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: WIFI
Referrer: forum-search:Uninstall 1Password 3 mac

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TheFish,

Those are some good questions! I can definitely help to answer them:

Does the uninstaller application uninstall 1Password 3 and 1Password5 at the same time or 1Password3 only?

We don't have an uninstaller app for version 5, so I'm guessing you found the uninstaller described in this user guide for 1Password 3? If so, that will only remove files related to version 3, so it won't uninstall anything related to version 5.

Please keep in mind that you can simply drag the 1Password 3 app to the Trash (don't use any app cleaning utilities), as it isn't necessary to remove its associated files from your Mac - they won't cause any problems. But if you decide to completely uninstall version 3 and its related files, just make sure you have all your data in version 5 first.

In the directory where 1Password 3 is stored on my hard drive there is also a file named "1Password.agilekeychain". Is this file also required under 1Password 5 in order to either store the information contained in 1Password 5 or to sync via WIFI with my iPhone and iPad?

Nope! The 1Password.agilekeychain file was the main data file for 1Password 3, but starting in version 4, 1Password stores your database in an sqlite file on your Mac. If you enable Dropbox or Folder sync in 1Password 4 or 5, it will create a new .agilekeychain in Dropbox or another folder on your Mac, but that's only used for sync purposes (it syncs changes from the sqlite file to the .agilekeychain file stored in Dropbox or other folder). The .agilekeychain file isn't used for Wi-Fi sync at all.

In short, 1Password 5 doesn't use the 1Password.agilekeychain file from 1Password 3, so you can feel free to delete it if you'd like. If you ever decide to use Dropbox or Folder sync, 1Password 5 will simply create a new .agilekeychain file.

Where and in which file does 1Password 5 store the information contained in 1Password 5?

The AgileBits Store version of 1Password 5 (and also 4) stores its data here:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

You can find more information here: Where does 1Password store its data?

Will all the information stored in 1Password 5 be deleted when I delete the file "1Password.agilekeychain" stored in the directory of 1Password 3?

Nope! As I mentioned above, 1Password 5 stores is data elsewhere on your Mac. It's not necessary to delete the 1Password.agilekeychain file from version 3, but you can do so if you'd like.

How do I move the file "1Password.agilekeychain" to the 1Password 5 directory in order to use it with 1Password 5?

As you've probably already guessed at this point, you don't need to do that as long as all your data is already migrated to 1Password 5.

Hopefully that answers your questions, but please let us know if you have more. We're always happy to help! :)

• TheFish
    TheFish
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew_AG: Thank you very much for your prompt and competent support which really helped me to get a better understanding and to better consider the consequences of deleting 1Password 3 either by app or manually. Really great support!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @TheFish! I'm really glad to have helped. Thanks so much for the kind words - we do love our work and our customers and we hope that it shows. :)

Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.