I copied my 1Password.agilekeychain from my desktop iMac 1P5 to my laptop 1P4 like always. NG.

Options
rendahl
rendahl
Community Member

1P4 opened and seems to work as usual, but my userid and password changes made in 1P5 did not show up. The old passwords showed instead. This has always worked fine before... maybe the last time was February. I cannot run 1P5 on my OS X 10.8.5 MacBook Pro. Is my easiest path to simply hand enter my changed information into my laptop? I would be quite happy to sync by wi-fi (your help says that won't work); I have minor reservations about using iCloud (but you say it won't work anyway); I doubt naming a folder would work in any event; I am reluctant to throw all my passwords out into the ether and sync with Dropbox (but I have not seen that 1P5 is backward compatible to 1P4 there either, and I do see user problems trying to do it). I'll bet I cannot copy over a 1P5 backup file and restore that in 1P4? Can I use the export and import functions under the File menu? This problem was a complete surprise to me.

1Password Version: 4.4.3 (443000) and 1Password 5 Version 5.3.2 (5320
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.8.5 and 10.10.4
Sync Type: agilekeychain copy
Referrer: forum-search:1P5 database appears to be not backwards compatible with 1P4

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rendahl,

I'm sorry you're having trouble syncing your data between 1Password 4 and 5! I'm sure we can help to get this working for you. First, to answer your questions:

Is my easiest path to simply hand enter my changed information into my laptop?

No, there are definitely other options for you. With your setup, the easiest way to sync your 1Password data would probably be to use Dropbox sync. You said you're reluctant to do that, which is fine, but in case it helps, I wanted to explain that 1Password is secure by design and uses end-to-end encryption, so the security of your 1Password data doesn't depend on the security of Dropbox (or any other sync service).

Your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES, and even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your master password. To learn more about cloud data security, please take a look through our Knowledgebase article on Cloud Security.

I would be quite happy to sync by wi-fi (your help says that won't work)

That's correct - Wi-Fi sync works between one Mac and one or more iOS devices, but won't work between multiple Macs.

I have minor reservations about using iCloud (but you say it won't work anyway)

Unfortunately that's also correct. 1Password 5 uses Apple's CloudKit technology, which can currently only be used by apps sold through Apple's App Store (and it looks like you're using the AgileBits Store version). However, even if you were using the Mac App Store version of 1Password, iCloud sync would not work between versions 4 and 5.

I am reluctant to throw all my passwords out into the ether and sync with Dropbox (but I have not seen that 1P5 is backward compatible to 1P4 there either, and I do see user problems trying to do it).

Dropbox sync is fully compatible between versions 4 and 5 of 1Password (as well as version 3) so you shouldn't have any trouble there. It sounds like you may be thinking of iCloud sync, which (as I mentioned above) won't work between versions 4 and 5.

I'll bet I cannot copy over a 1P5 backup file and restore that in 1P4?

Actually, that should work just fine, as both versions use the same backup format. You can also do an export/import, but it shouldn't be necessary to do that, since there's another sync option that should work for you.

You mentioned that you copied your 1Password.agilekeychain file from one Mac to another. Can you let us know some more specific details about the steps you take to do that? Are you using the Folder sync option in 1Password? If you don't want to use a cloud sync service, and since you can't use Wi-Fi sync, Folder sync is definitely an option for you, and can be used in a couple different ways. I'm not sure if you've been using that option or not, but this knowledgebase article will explain more about it.

One option would be to use Folder sync to sync your data to/from a USB drive. 1Password can detect when that drive is connected to the Mac, and will sync with it. You would just need to remember to connect the drive to each Mac when you want to sync 1Password.

Does this help at all? Before my reply gets even longer, I'll stop here, since this is a lot of information already. We'll be happy to help you set up a sync option, we'll just need to know which sync option you'd like to use. It will also help if you can explain the process you've been using that worked until now. Thanks, and looking forward to hearing back from you!

• rendahl
    rendahl
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Thank you, @Drew_AG for your unusually direct, complete, and informative reply. You might look for a place to put some form of your article in the user guide, or FAQ, or similar.

I have been using Macintoshes since 1986. I see a purchase receipt for 1Password (apparently 1P2) dated June 1, 2009. Until now, I probably had the same version of 1Password on both my desktop (primary) and laptop (secondary) computers. (Actually, I was surprised when this problem occurred to find both 1P4 and 1P5 on my laptop, and even more surprised to learn 1P5 would not work there when I tried to start it up.)

You asked for specific details how I “synced” my laptop from my desktop by copying the 1Password.agilekeychain file. I thought that was the standard way (or instructions) to update data from one machine to another. The procedure is simple, and until now it never failed me. I simply sit with my laptop and:
    1. Set my Finder folder to ~/Library/Application Support/1Password
    2. Rename or copy the existing 1Password.agilekeychain file to save it (just in case)
    3. Open a second Finder window, select my desktop’s name under SHARED in the sidebar, and login to my userid on the desktop. From there it looks like my local computer, so I go to ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain and drag it to the comparable spot on my first window. Done.
    4. The next time I open 1Password, the copied database is used like the original. I have long considered this one-way wifi syncing.

A few extra comments or conditions:

a. File Sharing must be enabled on the desktop (and probably laptop) via System Preferences/Sharing. My file sharing is always on.
    b. Apple did me no favors by deciding to hide Library from everyone. Sometimes I can use the Finder’s “Go” menu to show it, but the more reliable method is to open Terminal and give the chflags nohidden ~/Library command once per OS X update.

My 1Password 5 says I have 146 items stored by title, so I would go crazy without it. My 1Password 4 said I have 125 items using my copied-over database file, so maybe I am losing more than the latest password changes I was complaining about. I use 1Password daily, but update only a few logins a month, so I don’t need to sync all that often. But the instantaneous updates iCloud provides are indeed tempting.

While I was writing this, something strange happened. As a test, on my laptop, I quit 1Password 4, renamed my just-copied-over 1Password.agilekeychain database to something else, and renamed my earlier one back to what it was. When I re-started 1Password, all the changes I had made in the past day or two remained, and did not go back to their prior values. I restarted the computer, and the same thing happened. It is like 1P4 doesn’t necessarily read the .agilekeychain file to get its data, but has some kind of a cache or internal memory it uses instead. ????? (Intrigued, I just noticed that 1Password.agilekeychain is a package, not a file. Maybe my problem relates to different/additional folder/subfolder setups between 1P4 and 1P5?)

I noted with interest you said, “Actually, that [copying the backup file] should work just fine, as both versions use the same backup format.” This appeals to me, since the procedure is nearly the same as above. So last night I tried it, and from my spot checks it apparently worked fine. My procedure was:
    1. I note that the backups are automatically stored in the 1Password 4 folder for both versions. Each file name contains the date and time. The game is to find the latest backup file in the source (1P5’s) folder. The intent is to copy that file to my laptop, and use 1P4’s File/Restore… command.
    2. On my laptop, position my Finder folder to ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups
    3. Open a second Finder window, select my desktop’s name under SHARED in the sidebar, and login with my desktop’s userid. From there it looks like my local computer, so I click to the Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups folder.
    4. Find the latest backup file on the source machine by the filename’s date and time, and drag it to the comparable spot on my first window. I close the second Finder window at this point.
    5. Open 1Password (preferably from the Applications folder), supply your master password, and use the File/Restore… command. In the window that opens, select the date and time of your copied-over backup file, and click on the Restore button that appears upon your selection.
    6. Read the message box and confirm by pressing Restore again. 1Password will quit almost immediately. Open 1Password again, and you should be finished.

I spot checked the updated 1P4 by viewing 4 or 5 changed userid and passwords, and logging into those websites. My 1Password 4 window now says I have 146 items stored by title, up from the 125 items it showed before, and matching the 1P5 on the source machine. The displays look good. Not an exhaustive test, but I will use the new data until I find anything else wrong.

I know nothing about folder sync. In reading about it, I was appropriately uncomfortable by your article’s warnings, uncertain about what it is trying to do, where, and with what files, and if I could ever point to the new sync folder from my remote computer. I also was not sure about the paper’s example showing use of the 1Password.agilekeychain file, which had just failed me. Dedicating a thumb drive may be the answer, but with my frequency of need, the whole thing struck me as more work than just copying over the backup file by wi-fi.

You have convinced me that Dropbox syncing is a valid method which I would use if I needed to sync very often. But I still prefer to keep my sensitive data on my own local network — I know, I am just an old fogey.

As an aside, out of curiosity I tried the wifi sync from 1P5 to my ancient iPhone 3 with 1P4 on it. It worked fine, and I confirmed a few passwords to prove it to myself. No problem.

It occurs to me that if backup file transfers are viable, Agile could establish two classes of wi-fi syncing: one for what you use now for IOS transfers, and the other for on-demand wi-fi backup file transfers for computers.

I’m sorry for being so verbose. But all my life I learned the devil is in the details, so I like to be complete and precise. With your help, I think I have found a viable wi-fi parent-child syncing method using the backup/restore facility. Any comments or warnings will be welcome.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rendahl: On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome. I'm glad that helped! And no need to apologize for verbosity — especially after Drew's lengthy reply! ;)

I just wanted to chime in here to add that Folder Sync is great. No need to fear! We do, however, place prominent warnings on that page because, like you, a lot of people think that it might be a good idea to Folder Sync to a network drive. Don't. At least not without good backups.

1Password depends on the vault being available for read/write access, so if it goes offline due to a network outage — however brief — while 1Password is trying to access it, bad things can happen. "Modern" filesystems simply aren't very sophisticated when it comes to data integrity, and the last thing anyone wants to experience is data loss or corruption. 1Password just needs a safe, local folder to sync to, and then you can use Wi-Fi for the 'last mile' to your iOS devices.

There are definitely some improvements that we'd like to make to Wi-Fi Sync, so we appreciate the feedback and the suggestion of doing backups that way to optionally. Let me know if you have any other thoughts or questions! :)

• rendahl
    rendahl
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, both. I think I will use that backup/restore method for now, as it seemed to work well and was easy. If I see future problems there, I'll let you know. With my only 2 or 3 computers with one of those the main one, I prefer to use my parent/child method to keep my others up to date. You guys, when you think sync, must think of two-way syncing on a minute-to-minute basis with possibility of more than one person making changes at any moment... much more difficult and demanding.

Meanwhile, you both have given so much good information, I would urge you to consider adding your points to your user guide, or troubleshooting documentation, I know when I was writing software documentation, way back when for the IBM mainframes and VAX, I always considered the limitations section was every bit as important as the capabilities sections. I still look for that section, but almost never find it. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @rendahl! I'm glad Brenty and I were able to help explain all that. You're right that we do think of "sync" as working two ways - basically, changes on Device A should sync to Device B, and changes from Device B should sync to Device A. That's what would happen with Dropbox sync, or with Folder sync used with a USB drive (or another cloud sync service). That's also what happens with Wi-Fi sync between a Mac and iOS device.

However, it sounds like you only make changes to 1Password on one Mac (i.e. the "parent"). In that case, the backup/restore procedure you described will be fine, as long as you don't mind the extra work involved (copying a backup file from the parent Mac to the other, going through the restore on that other Mac, etc). Just keep in mind that this really isn't a "sync" (at least, not in the way we think of it). Restoring from a backup will wipe out all the current 1Password data on that Mac and replace it with the data from the backup file. It sounds like that will work well for you, but I just thought I should mention it because that restricts you to making changes from only one Mac (but it sounds like you're doing that anyway).

Thanks for your feedback about our online user guide and knowledgebase! We have a fantastic documentation team, and they're always trying to improve and add onto what we have, so we appreciate your input about that. If you have more questions or need anything else, we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.