1Password crashed and now the problem reporter won't let me submit either

Shawzborne
Shawzborne
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I am using the Latest version of OS X 10.10.4 and 1Password 5.3 and 1password crashed (probably first time it has ever crashed in my life of using 1password) so then I wanted to submit the bug report. Well it appears the bug reporter is now frozen as well. I have attached a screenshot below.

Let me know if you need any other info from me

Thank-you,

Shawn

1Password Version: 5.3 Latest MAS
Extension Version: Latest
OS Version: OSX 10.10.4 Latest
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Shawzborne,

I can't remember when it was but I have seen this once before. Now my understanding is this is an OS X process which means we won't have any control over it. Why the buttons are disabled I don't know. It might be a freak occurrence from testing the beta of 10.10.4. Can you keep an eye on it please and report back if it happens again. We'll be interested if anything else crashes and whether the issue of the disabled buttons seems to be specific to 1Password or if it was a one-off. Hopefully though you simply don't experience it again.

• Ken Klinger
    Ken Klinger
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem, and I also have never seen 1Password crash before -- ****but even worse, Agile refuses to recognize my email address and/or username****, so the only way I could login to Agile was via Google. In my Mac dock, 1Password went missing, and only a question mark remains -- and each time I go to apps to launch it, it crashes and invokes the same crash report Shawn received. Over and over again. At least I was able to logon via Google so I could post this comment, but I'd really like to know what's going on here. I've had 1Password AND Knox for many years, and I can't for the life of me understand why Agile refuses to recognize me, much less fix whatever's causing the app to crash continuously!

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,

Ken K

• Ken Klinger
    Ken Klinger
    Community Member

PS: did I mention I CAN'T ACCESS ANY OF MY PASSWORDS? This is incredibly frustrating, because I seem to be frozen out of my app, right when I need it the most!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

We really need some basic details of the crash report but you could try this:

1. Drag the 1P app to the trash (don't use any app cleaner tool, which is likely to try to delete files you need to keep).
    2. Empty the trash and reboot.
    3. Re-download and re-install 1P.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015

I can't for the life of me understand why Agile refuses to recognize me, much less fix whatever's causing the app to crash continuously!

Without knowing what's causing the crash, we won't be able to fix anything; and also bear in mind that we don't know who you are and don't have any insight into the inner working of your system because we don't collect information on our customers, so I'm not sure what you mean by 'recognize'.

If you have another(?) forum account and are unable to access your login credentials using 1Password at the moment, you can always use the password reset until we're able to get this sorted out for you.

Be sure to try the steps Stephen_C suggested, as those will resolve an app issue. However, if it's something deeper (filesystem corruption, OS issue) and the problem persists, the best thing to do would be to use the 1Password Troubleshooting tool to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums at agilebits dot com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening. Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• Ken Klinger
    Ken Klinger
    Community Member

Greetings to both Stephan and Brenty,

Stephan, I need to know whether or not all my 1Password passwords will be saved before I trash it and reinstall it.

Brenty, when I said I wasn't "recognized", I was using the verbiage that came back from Agile, saying neither my email or username is recognized -- which I don't get, seeing I've never changed any of those things within the Agile system for many years. For some weird reason, I was also prompted to use my Google account to log in, and that's the only way I could access this page, otherwise I'd have had absolutely NO way to post my problem much less get any response. There's no "contact us" on Agile's webpage, so I'm just grateful I have a Google account, while I almost never use it -- why my AOL email address and username for Agile isn't "recognized" escapes me.

I appreciate all your help -- once I know I won't lose my 1P data, I'll trash it and reinstall.

As far as crash details, I tried to include it in this post, only I was around 35,000 characters too large -- tried attaching the .rtf file I'd appended it into, and got an error message, because I suppose it only supports an image file. I can't take a screenshot of it either, because it'd go far outside the screen boundaries. So how do I send you guys a crash report?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Stephan, I need to know whether or not all my 1Password passwords will be saved before I trash it and reinstall it.

@Ken Klinger: Indeed, your 1Password vault is separate from the app itself. So long as you don't have overzealous 'cleaner' software running on your computer, deleting the app will have no impact on your data.

Brenty, when I said I wasn't "recognized", I was using the verbiage that came back from Agile, saying neither my email or username is recognized -- which I don't get, seeing I've never changed any of those things within the Agile system for many years.

Ah, thanks for clarifying! I'm sorry for the confusion. It sounds like you were either trying to retrieve your license from our system (which, the only one I see under your name is associated with a different email address — perhaps an old one), or you were trying to login to the forums. While we may have your purchase information, this does not automatically sign you up for a forum account, as not everyone cares to have one (which is why we also offer other login options). So you'd need to create an account before the site will 'recognize' you.

Similarly, Google is just one of a few 'single sign on' options we offer for those who don't want an entirely new login.

I appreciate all your help -- once I know I won't lose my 1P data, I'll trash it and reinstall.

That's the ticket! I suspect that simply installing a fresh copy and restarting will resolve the issue for you.

But if you're still having trouble, the best thing to do would be to use the 1Password Troubleshooting tool to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums at agilebits dot com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening. Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• Ken Klinger
    Ken Klinger
    Community Member

Many thanks for all your help. I trashed the 1P app that was in my apps folder, and replaced it with the one I'd downloaded. I also used the 1P diagnostic .zip file to send the report, but I'm not sure whether or not the most recent report was in there.

All that really matters, is that I thankfully have my 1Password 5 app working again!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's fantastic news, @Ken Klinger! I'm really happy to hear it's working again. On behalf of the others here who helped you out with that, you're very welcome!

We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.