Lost a password because iPassword overwrotes with a new password

Options

Hi there. There is a banking website that I used a lot. Every time I log into that site, 1Password prompts me to save the login details for it (as though I've changed the login details - but nothing has changed). If I allow iPassword to save the login details, the password gets overwritten with a newly generated one which is incorrect.

It has happened twice now that I've lost my password this way and had to ring the bank to get a new password. What can I do to stop this happening?

For some reason, this Login does not have the option "Show previously used passwords". I've read a separate thread about that issue and can't get it to reveal the previous password.

Also, for this same login, it does not autofill the login details. I need to manually copy each one. Previously it autofilled, and I don't udnerstand why it stopped working.

1Password Version: Version 5.3.2 (532001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• adihaya
    adihaya
    Community Member
    Options

Hello! A suggestion that might help is to manually save the login details in the 1Password app itself. Put your username/# in the username box, password in the password box, and copy-paste the website where you log in into the website box. After saving, go to the bank site's login page and test things out.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mkp101 ,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password, and I'll do what I can to help straighten things out!

Every time I log into that site, 1Password prompts me to save the login details for it (as though I've changed the login details - but nothing has changed).

Could you please tell me a little bit more about how you're logging into the site? If you're using 1Password to fill the details, then of course 1Password shouldn't pop up to ask you to save your information.

If I allow iPassword to save the login details, the password gets overwritten with a newly generated one which is incorrect.

When you allow 1Password to save your details, it saves the details that you have filled in on the webpage. It will not generate a different password. Hopefully when you reply with the steps that you are taking to visit and fill this page, we'll be able to get a better idea of where things might be getting tangled up.

Also, for this same login, it does not autofill the login details. I need to manually copy each one. Previously it autofilled, and I don't udnerstand why it stopped working.

@adihaya has a good suggestion here. Saving a New Login Manually will allow 1Password to re-learn the fields that it needs to fill.

• mkp101
    mkp101
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan
    Here’s what happens. I tested it again just now and confirmed that I can reproduce this behaviour.

1. I use 1Password to fill the login fields on the website as normal.

2. Once the login fields are filled in, 1Password gives prompt: “Save a new login”. This is the prompt you get when a new login is detected. It suggests the same as the original one.

3. If I select “Not Now”, the login details are not updated and there are no problems. But if I accidentally select “Save”, a new login is created with a new password. The new login has the same name has the original one. There are now two sets of logins. It doesn't over-write the old login. Next time, when I try to log into that website, 1Password suggests two logins with the same name, but they have different passwords. The behaviour occurs with Chrome and Safari.

4. One the other issue I mentioned (1Password does not autofill the fields): I found it autofills with Safari but not Chrome. Previously it autofilled with Chrome too, but stopped autofilling for this particular website only.
  • Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mkp101,

I moved your discussion to our "Saving and Filling in Browsers" forum where you'll be able to get more help for this issue. I hope you don't mind!

Thanks for the additional details! If you save a new Login item when prompted to do so (instead of updating an existing Login item), that explains why the Login doesn't have a "show previously used passwords" section. That only appears once you change the password of an existing item in 1Password. When you save a new Login, you shouldn't actually be losing your old password - it should still be in the old Login item for that site.

It sounds like the main issue here is that every time you sign into that site, you're prompted to save a new Login item, and when you do that, it somehow seems to save an incorrect password. But it also sounds like you aren't able to sign into that site again, so you contact your bank to reset your password. That shouldn't be necessary because the correct password should still be saved in the old Login item (unless that one was somehow also saved with the wrong password). So I think we might need to know a few more details:

• Are you able to sign into your account on that website using any of the Login items you've saved for it?
    • If not, are you able to sign in by copying & pasting your username/password from 1Password into the login form?
    • Once you have your bank give you a new password, it should remain the same password unless you change it from your account settings on that website. Even though 1Password seems to be saving a wrong password, are you still able to sign in by typing the new password from your bank?

Also, regarding the problem:

One the other issue I mentioned (1Password does not autofill the fields): I found it autofills with Safari but not Chrome. Previously it autofilled with Chrome too, but stopped autofilling for this particular website only.

1Password doesn't actually have an auto-fill feature. It will only fill your data when you explicitly tell it to do so by opening a Login item from the main 1Password app, or by selecting the Login item from the 1Password extension in your web browser (or using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut). When you open your browser and go to the bank site, is your username/password already filled in? If so, that might be your browser's built-in password manager, and that might have something to do with the original problem.

• mkp101
    mkp101
    Community Member
    Options

You are correct that the old login is retained i.e. Not overwritten by the newly generated password.

I should have mentioned that I lost my password when I thought I'd delete the old login and save it again from scratch - hoping that might fix the problem. But the new login saved with the wrong password, so that didn't help. (BTW, I later learned I could retrieve the deleted login from the trash, but that was after I got a new password from the bank).

In answer to your question:
    Q: Are you able to sign into your account on that website using any of the Login items you've saved for it?
    A: Now that I've reset the password, I can use 1password to save it and log into the bank, no problems

The remaining problems are:
    1. If I allow 1Password to save a new login, it saves it with the same name as the correct one (but with a wrong password). When I try to log in, I have to choose from multiple identical logins for that bank, all with the same name, but only one has the correct password. The others are the false ones. One of those logins is the correct one, but it's Russian Roulette to work out which one that is. How can I stop 1Password asking me to save a new Login each time?
    2. Autofilling passwords: By this I mean what you said: "explicitly tell it to do so by opening a Login item from the main 1Password app, or by selecting the Login item from the 1Password extension in your web browser" - this is not working. When I open a Login item from the main 1Password app, 1Password does not fill the fields. I need to manually copy and paste each field individually from 1Password. But it is only when I use Chrome, for this website only (but it used to work for it), so I can work around this issue by using Safari.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mkp101,

The next time 1Password asks if you want to save a new Login item for your bank, you can tell it to ignore this URL for Autosave purposes. This screenshot should clear things up :smile:

You click the cog and then you can say ignore this domain going forward. I suspect that your bank is altering the password before it is being sent and that the algorithm uses either time or a counter as one of the parameters - something so that the password is never the same (a bit like two-factor authentication). If your bank does something like this it would cause the behaviour you're witnessing. Let us know if that helps.

So clicking on the website field from the main 1Password window is what we refer to as open and fill. We open the URL in your default browser and then attempt to fill the login page using this Login item. If I've understood correctly it's just one site it is happening with in Chrome - any other Login item works, is that correct? I'm curious, say you use open and fill and it loads up the page in question, does 1Password still not fill if you use the keyboard shortcut ⌘\? If it doesn't fill at all even doing that it might be worth experimenting and seeing if creating a brand new Login item using our How to manually save a Login guide makes any difference. Again, let us know if that makes any difference or not :smile:

This discussion has been closed.