how do i do this? i just spent $50 and i cant figure this out! Is there a live person i can call?!

George Murillo
George Murillo
Community Member
edited July 2015 in Mac

how do i do this? i just spent $50 and i cant figure this out! Is there a live person i can call to walk me through step by step?!

1Password Version: 1 password 5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx x 10
Sync Type: drop box

Comments

• George Murillo
    George Murillo
    Community Member

how do i do this? i just spent $50 and i cant figure this out! Is there a live person i can call to walk me through step by step?!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @George Murillo,

Despite the forum username I am a live person that is part of the AgileBits team. Now we don't have a public telephone number that you can call but we do actively monitor the forums and where needed move more complex or sensitive queries to email.

Is it possible we can assist you here in the forums at all?

Just to kick start matters we do have a user manual for 1Password for Mac. It can be found at this link and the whole first section relates to installing, setting up a vault, how to add our Browser Extension as well as saving and using a Login item. It might be this will help a lot and instead you have more specific questions. Either way please do let us know.

• George Murillo
    George Murillo
    Community Member

hopefully you are on right now. i go to my banks website and type in my password. a prompt from 1p asks if i want to save this. i say yes. but there is nothing saying that a super secret password is being created. when does that happen? alternatively, i go into my 1p primary vault and try to add my banks link but there is no clear direction. I go to Logins then pick Bank Account. I see a huge list where i can type in my bank's name, account number, routing number, whether its checking or savings, etc.... but nothing as to where i can type in the link to my bank account. i don't need to fill any of my bank accounts information, i have that all in my secure bank's account page once i log in. all i need is a super secure password for my bank account login.

from your user manual, i go back to my banks login page, i click the 1p icon on the browser, pick the bank logo and then get a message that "Cannot Fill Item in Google Chrome" i go to the trouble shooting and you are talking about configuring sophos, firewalls, restarting chrome since its in the middle of an update, signature verification, using chromium ( vs. chrome?) etc.... am i in the right place in this set-up? and i still haven't seen the super secure password promised.

And what does Dropbox have to do with all this? i created a Dropbox account for both my wife and i. under Preferences i picked Primary vault, sync and chose my Dropbox folder. Now what?

whatever the solution is going to be noted above, i want a primary vault on my personal imac user account and a primary vault for my wife on her user account on the same computer (which we share). however, both my wife and i will need to go into our shared bank account. so according to recommendations from reading our forum, i created a separate "shared" vault i would share with my wife. i imagine that is where the bank connection would reside so we can both access it. does a shared vault need its own Dropbox to sync with?

On the top menu, i pick Item, then Share, then the "shared" vault. after that, i am not allowed to pick anything else. the only two option that i see (that i cant pick) is Copy adn Move.

Now we go to my wife's imac user account, i open 1p which i downloaded separately from within her user account, and i try to look for the "shard" vault i created within my user account and cant find it nor a way to look for it. that said, my wife's 1p looks like a trial version? do i have to buy another 1p for her? i read that we can use 1p throughout user accounts on the same mac? nothing says i need to pay for it twice.

again, i went to the users manual and it seems that your starting point is already a few steps ahead of me. sorry, but HELP.

• JWeaver
    JWeaver
    Community Member

Hi,

When you entered your password into your bank's website login and answered yes to 1Password's query do you want to save this you saved that existing password into your 1Password vault (Saving a Login). 1Password doesn't create a new password unless you want it to (Changing a saved password).

Dropbox can be used to sync your vault between different devices that have 1Password installed on them or simply as a backup to safeguard your vault. (Sync with Dropbox)

If you wish for you and your wife to have separate individual 1Password vaults along with a shared vault you'll find this helpful. If you and your spouse don't mind sharing a Dropbox account then stay with just the one, multiple Dropbox accounts are not necessary in order to have multiple 1Password vaults.

As for your wife's 1Password copy possibly being a trial version - where did you purchase 1Password from? If you purchased 1Password from AgileBits.com online store then check to be certain that your license has been applied. The Mac App Store version of 1Password has no trial version.

Hope this helps :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015

Hi George,

Thanks for getting back to us with those details! We're trying to do a lot all at once here, but I'll do what I can to answer each question and help you get things sorted out.

i go to my banks website and type in my password. a prompt from 1p asks if i want to save this. i say yes. but there is nothing saying that a super secret password is being created. when does that happen?

First of all, let me see if I can clarify things a bit for you. There are two main things that 1Password can help you with:

• Saving your login information for all those sites that require you to sign in every time you visit, and
    • Helping to generate strong passwords when you want to update your current login information or log in to a new site.

(There are plenty of other cool features, but these are probably the ones you're most anxious to get started with!)

To save your current login information in 1Password, you'll want to follow the directions here: Saving a Login. From your post, it sounds like you've already discovered this feature. This is step 1. Saving the passwords that you already use.

Once you've saved a few of these passwords, you might realize that some of them are not as strong as they could be. Our next step then is to update those passwords to something more secure. And 1Password can help you with that process as well. (But it is a separate process from the saving of your existing details.) To update an existing password, you can follow the directions here: Changing a saved password.

The example used in the User Guide is Google, so if you have one (or more) Google accounts, I would recommend walking through each of these steps along with the Guide so you can get a better idea of how this works.

I go to Logins then pick Bank Account. I see a huge list where i can type in my bank's name, account number, routing number, whether its checking or savings, etc.... but nothing as to where i can type in the link to my bank account. i don't need to fill any of my bank accounts information, i have that all in my secure bank's account page once i log in. all i need is a super secure password for my bank account login.

I apologize for the confusion here. It looks like you're getting a bit tangled up with the different categories. We've got definitions of what each category is useful for in our User Guide, but I'd be happy to discuss the basics here.

Login Items

This is a username and a password, usually stored with a web address to help you easily log in to websites. This is what we discussed above when talking about saving a 'Login'. You will likely have Logins for places like Facebook, Google, your banks, and a whole host of other websites. Any time you need to sign in to a website, you can create a Login item to have 1Password save your passwords for you. These items can be automatically filled in when you re-visit the site (using our ⌘\ ( Command- \ ) keyboard shortcut) making them even more handy.

There are two other categories that can be filled in on web forms. They are Identities and Credit Cards.

Bank Accounts

Other than Logins, Identities and Credit Cards, all of the other categories are largely there for your own information and personal organization. They will not fill in on webforms. The idea is that 1Password can be a database, not only for your usernames and passwords, but for any type of data that you would like to keep secure, but easily accessible.

For someone just starting out with 1Password, you can feel free to ignore all those categories for the time being. As you get more comfortable with the app, you'll likely find yourself storing more and more types of data in 1Password, and filling up all of these extra categories, but when you're just getting started, I'd focus on the Logins, (and maybe Identities and Credit Cards).

i want a primary vault on my personal imac user account and a primary vault for my wife on her user account on the same computer (which we share). however, both my wife and i will need to go into our shared bank account. so according to recommendations from reading our forum, i created a separate "shared" vault i would share with my wife. i imagine that is where the bank connection would reside so we can both access it. does a shared vault need its own Dropbox to sync with?

A shared vault will not need its own 'Dropbox', but it will need to have sync set up separately. In Preferences > Sync, you'll have the option to set up sync for your primary vault, and for any secondary vaults. Just click on your Shared vault and save it to Dropbox. There are instructions in our User Guide (with pictures!) to walk you through the process of syncing and sharing a vault. If you and your wife share a Dropbox account, this process will be simpler, because you can skip the section that discusses how to share a folder across multiple Dropbox accounts.

Now we go to my wife's imac user account, i open 1p which i downloaded separately from within her user account, and i try to look for the "shard" vault i created within my user account and cant find it nor a way to look for it.

The first thing to do when you open 1Password on your wife's account is to set up 1Password as a new user for her. You mentioned that she will have her own primary vault, so before we worry about adding that shared vault to 1Password for her, we want to set up her own vault with her own Master Password. Please take a look at the our guide for Running 1Password for the first time. Once she's set up, we can ensure that Dropbox has synced your shared vault. Double-clicking on that shared .agilekeychain file in Dropbox will open 1Password and allow you to add the vault.

that said, my wife's 1p looks like a trial version? do i have to buy another 1p for her? i read that we can use 1p throughout user accounts on the same mac? nothing says i need to pay for it twice.

You certainly don't need to pay twice for 1Password! Your license for 1Password can be used by yourself and up to five family members in the same household on as many Macs as you use/can afford. ;) We'll just need to apply your existing license file to your wife's instance of 1Password. To make it easier for you, I'm re-sending you your license details to the email address you have in your forum profile. The email you receive will provide instructions for adding this file to 1Password.

Well, whew! I think we've covered all of your questions, but I know this is a lot of information. Please let me know if anything above doesn't make sense. If you're looking at a User Guide article, feel free to link to it and tell me exactly where things are going wrong for you. This will ensure that we're on the 'same page' (literally) and we'll be able to solve things faster for you.

ref: 863563

• George Murillo
    George Murillo
    Community Member

i am trying to set up my wifes desk top (same mac computer) to use onepass which i set up under my desktop. i created a vault to share and followed your detailed instructions on doing something with drop box and nothing works. can i speak to a live person now! i went through this a few weeks ago but got so frustrated (plus i have a job and a life to tend to) that i had to walk away for a few weeks. now i am trying to find the last set of instructions you gave me (which again, i followed to the tee and didn't work) but cant find it. anyway, dont sent me to your online guide again because the steps did not work. i need a clear step by step (sorry, again, your guideline makes assumptions on steps that are not there)

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:how do i do this? i just spent $50 and i cant figure this out! Is there a live person i can call t

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi George,

I'm sorry it's been such a frustrating experience for you to get 1Password configured and working smoothly. What we'd like to do next is continue this discussion in email and help you get everything sorted out.

To do that, please start by creating a Diagnostics Report from your own account on your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Then attach the report file with an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, and please do include a link to this discussion in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that you get the help you need as quickly as possible. :)

Thanks very much!

• George Murillo
    George Murillo
    Community Member

support ID is [#WFT-86222-775]

• George Murillo
    George Murillo
    Community Member

anyone there now?

• George Murillo
    George Murillo
    Community Member

"Once she's set up, we can ensure that Dropbox has synced your shared vault. Double-clicking on that shared .agilekeychain file in Dropbox will open 1Password and allow you to add the vault."

• where is the .agilekeychain" file? and is it my desk top or my wifes desk top?
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@George Murillo: Sorry for the confusion! This isn't a live chat room, and we try to reply to folks on a first-come, first-served basis, both here in the forums and via email. I see that we've received your email, so I'll close this thread and we can continue the conversation there. I'll be in touch shortly. :)

ref: WFT-86222-775

This discussion has been closed.