Wife and I with similar logins on 2 sites - problems opening both

PatrickHenry
PatrickHenry
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

On iMac wife and I have similar logins for mail order prescription site and medical insurance site. Both logins have very different user names and passwords; titles are the same except for 3 initials different in each. If I open my login and then log off I cannot logon to wife's as mine automatically appears. If I delete history and cookies, I can change to the second logon for usually one time. After that, I am stuck on whichever was last used.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot enter Support Forum

Comments

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member

Sorry for above: 1Password version 5.0.1; 1Password Extension version 4.3; Operating System OS X 10.10.3; SyncType iCloud

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PatrickHenry,

I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your discussion to our "Saving and Filling in Browsers" forum. I'm sorry you're having trouble with your logins for that site!

I'm not sure why you would need to delete history and cookies for that site in order to sign into a different account, so I'd like to get a bit more information about what happens when you log out of one account on that site and try to log into the other. Are both Login items (yours and your wife's) stored in the same vault in 1Password? How are you using your own Login item to sign in - do you open that item from the main 1Password app, or do you select it from the 1Password extension in your browser? If you're using the extension in the browser, do you open the site first and then choose your Login item from the extension, or do you choose your Login item from the extension in order to open the site?

What exactly happens when you log out of your own account on that site? In other words, does it take you back to a page that has a login form? If so, is the username or password field already populated, are are they empty? Once you log out of your account, what are the exact steps you take to try to sign into your wife's account? Can you sign into her account by copying & pasting her credentials from 1Password into the fields of the login form?

You also mentioned that you're using version 5.0.1 of 1Password. We've released quite a few updates since then, and if you're using the AgileBits Store version, the latest is 5.3.2. You should install the latest update to see if that helps. From the main 1Password app, just go to the menu for 1Password > Check for Updates and it should give you the option to install the latest one.

Thanks in advance!

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member

Hi Drew,
    For starters I checked the 1Password version in use and it gave me no numbers but said that I am up to date. Both my wife's and my 1Password accounts are accessed from the main 1Password App. For the accounts, the titles are both Optum followed by distinctive 3 digits in CAPs. I just selected mine be double clicking on the account name in the main App. I reached my account with no difficulty. Upon logging out of my account the page says "You've logged out" with a Login button just below. I then manually select my wife's after canceling my page and do the same double click but my account appears. Upon the advice of a Technical Support person from the target company, I cleared history and website data and executed a restart. At that point I chose one of our accounts, was successful and the logged out. I was then able to successfully reach the other account using the maneuvers described above. I thought that the problem was solved, thanked the advisor and went about my business. It occurred to me that I probably should have checked the process in reverse. Upon doing this, I found that we were again stuck with the same situation as above. Please advise any info I may have overlooked or anything further which might assist. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PatrickHenry,

Could it be that the issue isn't so much 1Password, but that somehow the cookies left on your machine even after you've logged out are causing a change to the page? When I read your description my thoughts turned to my recent experiences with the Adobe web site where even if I log out it still remembers my email address until I purge the cookies for that site. I've also come across sites where you almost have to fight to actually log out.

Can you try something for me please. Instead of using 1Password mini to log you in as you would normally do, could you try copying and pasting instead. I'm curious to know what happens you see so I don't mean this as a solution. If you find the same behaviour even when not using fill feature of 1Password that would suggest the site is doing or not doing something - that will be tougher for us to resolve because it would indicate the issue is on their side. If the same behaviour doesn't happen, so filling in with 1Password causes this weird behaviour while copying and pasting doesn't then we need to explore further. What makes this a little trickier is the issue relates to being logged in and I suspect we can't create test accounts at either website to look ourselves.

Regarding the other matter. I'm surprised 1Password is saying it's up to date if you're running 5.0.1. The easiest way round that though would be to download a fresh copy of 1Password from our AgileBits Download page then. Doing this you would be downloading 5.3.2 and then all you would need to do is quit 1Password using the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌘Q and drag the copy from your /Applications/ folder to the Trash. You would then drag the new copy from your Downloads folder to /Applications/ and you're done :smile:

Hopefully we can figure out this oddity with the two sites you've mentioned.

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member

Hi - I fear that I am bound to appear very stupid but I can find no way outside of 1Password to log in. If I attempt to log in through copying/pasting or just typing, only my account appears and does so exactly as it does when I use the normal method through 1Password main app. As to the AgileBits Download, I cannot find the upside-down v described in the keyboard shortcut above. Help please. Sorry to be a pain but all assistance is greatly appreciated. I am contacting the IT people at the site which is causing difficulty in an attempt to find someone with knowledge. Thanks for the help.

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member

To be more clear concerning the above, when I enter the web site "http://www.optumrx.com" I am greeted with a home page which contains a "sign-in" box. When I select the sign-in box my account User ID and Password automatically populates a sign-in page. If I wished to enter another individual's details (example: my wife's), there is no opportunity. The IT people at Optumrx say that is is the fault of my computer which, for some unknown reason, memorizes only my account details. Additionally, after the sign-in page appears with my details on it, the Optumrx in the sign-in box above, changes to optimum. When asked the IT folks say that this was part of an update
    and has no coincidence that my problems with their site began at the time of their update.

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member

Above, line second from bottom: Optumrx changes to OptumID. Sorry

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PatrickHenry,

You're not stupid and I think you may have given us the clue we need. I strongly suspect your browser of choice is remembering your username and password for you and so it is the browser causing you the problem. I'm basing this on the fact that no sane site should ever be recording your password in a cookie - that's a massive no-no in anybody's book and given it's being automatically filled (we never fill until the user instructs 1Password too - it's a security thing) I think we've potentially found the culprit.

We have a page titled Disabling your web browser’s built-in password manager and it covers the main browsers. I believe that if you check out the instructions for your browser of choice that you will find the browser's password manager is currently enabled and if it allows you to view the list that it has that site stored. I believe that if you turn off the password manager that the site will seem to behave a bit better and that it will allow you and 1Password to log in as the other user.

Please do let us know how you get along :smile:

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member

Thank you - the solution worked and the original problem is resolved. Now I have a problem with the 1Password version. I have no clue what the numerics of the version in use is. I have 2 main app icons reading 1Password5in the dock and one in Applications. All
    seem to work after I get past the small sign saying I have a problem. I am attaching a screenshot in hopes that helps solve this situation. I have looked at the page which refers me to Downloads but remain confused.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@PatrickHenry: Ah, perfect! I see the problem! OS X sometimes launches the wrong copy of 1Password mini if more than one is present, so we need to get rid of the one in your Downloads folder. Just follow these steps:

1. Open the main 1Password app
    2. Go to the 1Password menu
    3. Hold the Control key and click Quit 1Password and 1Password mini
    4. Open your Downloads folder
    5. Drag the 1Password app there to the Trash
    6. Restart your Mac

That should do it! Just use 1Password normally, and you should be all set. Be sure to let me know how it turns out! :)

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member

Thanks to all - 1Password is functioning properly again. Another example of reasons for sticking with agile bits. My only glitch at the moment is that I still do not know what version I am using - help please in finding and, if necessary, updating version level.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PatrickHenry,

So you should be able to find what version you're running by looking in 1Password 5 > About 1Password and we even have a page with pictures which you can find at Which version of 1Password am I running? and it even covers the normal approaches for upgrading for both the Mac App Store version of 1Password and the AgileBits Store version (which is the one you're running).

Now if you're not running 1Password 5.3.2 but 1Password is saying there are no updates that is a bit weird but we could try manually downloading the latest copy from our AgileBits Download page and then doing the following.

Firstly you would need to quit 1Password using the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌘Q so that both 1Password and 1Password mini are terminated. You would then drag the copy of 1Password 5 from your /Applications/ folder to the Trash. Next you would drag the new version in your Downloads folder to /Applications/ and you're done!

Let us know how you get along :smile:

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member

Thanks again - now I am on 1 Password 5.3.2 so all is well. A big thank you to Drew_AG, littlebobbytables and brenty (hope I didn't forget anyone). You folks are great!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's all of us! On behalf of Drew and lil bobby (and myself), you're most welcome! Thanks for the kind words! Be sure to let us know if we can be of further assistance, and have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.