fixtradingcommunity.org password change is not picked up

Options

on fixtradingcommunity site 1P did not notice me changing the password.
FF 39. Win 7 SP1

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mzel,

So to cover the important part first. Just in case you weren't aware, each time you use the Password Generator from within the 1Password browser menu it will create a Password item. Now in 1Password for Windows the Password items aren't visible by default (I'm not sure why this is the case) but to make them visible is a simple menu option which you can find at View > Generated Passwords. If the password is then successfully saved in a Login item for the same domain with that new password then we remove the Password item and only then. If for whatever reason we don't successfully detect that you're on a page relating to changing a password you should still have the Password item with the new password.

Now all of that is all meant to be the safety net, so I don't write that to suggest we shouldn't be doing better but to cover that scary moment where you discover the Login item hasn't been updated with the new password and you wonder if you can still log in. It might be you knew all of that already too but it might be it helps somebody else reading the thread.

More specifically with the site in question, can you briefly describe the change password page for us please. The one instance that I believe we should pick up on is if a page has three password fields, one for the old password and two for the new one. If the site matches that I'd be disappointed we didn't catch it and definitely want to investigate. There are other combinations where I'd investigate because I don't know for certain if we catch them or not, it's just so we have an idea of what we'll be looking for.

Now if we didn't pick up the new password on the password change I would hope we would pick it up the next time you manually log in with the new password. Obviously not as ideal and relies on the fact that we always save passwords as I described above. The safety net though is partly because web sites have a lot of freedom when they're designing these types of pages and trying to ensure we work with all of them is much like a game of cat and mouse.

So if you could let us know just a little about the page in question, what you were asked to fill in for example and we can take it from there :smile:

• mzel
    mzel
    Community Member
    Options

I am not sure how the Generated password preamble apply to this case. I was not using this feature here neither for the old, nor for the new password.
    I changed the password manually after login, logged out, and typed the new password on login manually. IMHO this case prompts for a change being picked up by 1P.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mzel,

Thank you for the extra information. So the issue for you wasn't the actual password change page itself but that fact that 1Password didn't offer to either update or create a new Login item when you logged into the site using the new password? I'll will test this because I agree with you, we should be responding as you would expect.

• mzel
    mzel
    Community Member
    Options

correct. Actually I did not know you are actively looking for the password change page.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi @mzel,

Well I know why 1Password didn't offer to save your new password at least. For reasons unknown it isn't picking up that there is a login page to save at all. So it won't just not ask for new passwords but also for brand new Login items too. I think this one will need better eyes than mine to investigate what is going on I'm afraid so it would seem you are reduced to updating using our How to manually save a Login guide for the moment. I do apologise as I can imagine that doesn't seem like a great workaround if you're used to 1Password automatically asking.

• mzel
    mzel
    Community Member
    Options

I probably used the manual workaround for the 1st one and forgot about it

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. I'm glad that we have that to fall back on, but we'll also do what we can to improve 1Password's login form detection going forward. :)

This discussion has been closed.